08 sudden issue

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TechJunkie

Reaction score
Thought I would head out and wash my 08 before changing the oil and putting it up for the season. I turned on the ignition and flipped the kill switch down and verified I was in neutral. Hit the starter button and.....nothing." It has never not started. I tried several times and then hooked up the tender and left it. I came back a little later and it started like a flooded engine. I had to let it crank much longer than normal but I could hear it was trying this time and it finally started. When it did start I immediately heard a loud ticking coming from what I thought was the left side of the bike, however, it is just about as loud on the right side. It has never had a ticking. The ticking was at idle and seemed to disappear when it was revved. Once it warmed up the ticking became quieter, however, when I revved it up and let up on the throttle there would be a quick "snap, snap, snap" that would come from the same place. I immediately thought of the cam chain tensioner.

I let the bike warm up until the fan kicked on. The ticking was gone, the snapping sound would happen only occasionally when revving and letting go of the throttle. I thought great! Washed the bike and changed the oil. Everything was fine. I put it up and let the bike cool down. Went back out and started it and the tick is back and quite pronounced.

I am baffled. I returned from my trip to the Dragon and it sat since then. It wasn't ticking when I parked it. Other than the failure to start this afternoon it has never not started or ticked.

Suggestions and thoughts are welcome. What can tick until it is hot and then go away? With the snapping sound that I hear when the engine lets down I am thinking about the cam chain tensioner. Very frustrated! BTW my 08 has around 24K on the clock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like things got wet.

Could the ticking be a leak in the coils providing spark to plugs?

It definitely sounds metallic. I am no expert mechanic though. The ticking is pronounced and once it starts to subside when the engine heats up you can hear the snapping two or three times on decel like somethimg is trying to adjust.

The Cam Chain Tensioner is located on the Right side of the engine of the Bike as you are sitting on it.

You can probably locate the noise with a stethoscope or with your ear on a long screw driver.

From the description, I'd listen very closely to the CCT. Although 24K is a little early for noise, anything's possible.

Good luck.

--G

My 07 FJR has made a ticking sound when cold since new and it has 56,000 mile on it now with the original CCT installed. I've never had a fuel injected bike and was concerned about the ticking on this new bike, but I'm pretty sure it's the injectors making the noise. The fact that the sounds subsides/disappears once the bike is warmed up also makes sense because the bike will be runner richer until warmed.

It's funny how anything unusual (like a failure to start) makes you hyper aware of sounds. Maybe there's no problem with your bike?

I wish it was that simple. I start it every few weeks in. The winter and let it warm up. It has never made this sound. This is definitely new. Also the metallic snapping when rolling off the throttle is new. This sound also ones from the same place.

I have warranty work to be performed and will have them look at it as well. It is just one of those thinned where you know your machine and know when something has changed. Also it is very pronounced until it warms up.

I've read you shouldn't start it up in winter unless you're going to ride it. Letting it run till warm then shutting it off draws condensation into the exhaust and valve train/combustion chamber that does no good.

I have heard that mentioned by some and refuted by others.

This issue, however, happened the bike sat for about four or five weeks after a multi day ride. Was fine when shutoff and problems when started again.

Back when exhaust pipes weren't stainless, I was cautioned (source: forgotten)not to run my old R90/6 for less than half an hour because condensation would build up, stand and eventually rust out the pipes. Seemed reasonable at the time. Sorry this has almost nothing to do with your problem. WBill