1.3 Gallon Gas Tank Reserve

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since we are sharing, the other time I ran out in Arkansas was during a "spirited" run in the Ozarks. She farted at the top of the mountain just outside of Jasper. I put it in neutral, and without the engine running, coasted down hill 3.3 miles on Hwy 74 into town. I ran the stop sign at the Hwy 7 intersection at about 15 mph, coasted across the Little Buffalo River, and silently into the gas station just on the other side of the bridge. 6.6xx gallons.

It was like I planned it that way....

Since it's Friday,

cat%20-%20i%20love%20this%20thread%20so%20much-2.jpg

Took a multi-day trip once with a buddy, both on our 08 FJR's, we weigh about the same, was quite fascinating that after burning through entire tanks 200 miles plus we'd compare how much fuel we were taking--every time the bikes would take within .1 gallon of each other through the whole trip. That's some consistent engineering.

Last edited by a moderator:
One should always carry a 6 foot piece of tubing to use as a siphon......... I used to tell myself that, but never did it until the last couple of years. The theory being somebody in the group will have gas.

Then there's the old saying, never pass up an opportunity for gas or a pee.

One should always carry a 6 foot piece of tubing to use as a siphon......... I used to tell myself that, but never did it until the last couple of years. The theory being somebody in the group will have gas.Then there's the old saying, never pass up an opportunity for gas, a pee or to blow something up.
ftfy. Truer words were never spoken.

I've never carried a siphon hose nor the need for one. I think it's kind of silly- if you can't read a gas gauge, especially one that blinks at you, and run out then you deserve to be walking. I'd just shake my head and call you a dumbass. I'll fetch you gas but you'll be left on the side of the road and I'll be taking my sweet-ass time. Ain't no man ridin' bitch on my bike. I have never once in or on any vehicle ever run out of gas. I can see the noted exceptions of out west and the distances between and the extra planning needed but really, running out of gas?

Since it's Friday,Took a multi-day trip once with a buddy, both on our 08 FJR's, we weigh about the same, was quite fascinating that after burning through entire tanks 200 miles plus we'd compare how much fuel we were taking--every time the bikes would take within .1 gallon of each other through the whole trip. That's some consistent engineering.
I have the same thing with a buddy on an '03 HD Night Train I ride with regularly. He has a smaller tank of course but no matter, we're not iron butt guys, more like the relaxed, smell the roses riders. When we fuel up we're consistantly within .2 or .3 of each other. And we got in the habit long ago to ask each other if fuel is needed before heading out. We figure: we're old and the brain sometimes isn't functioning like it used to so if we both ask maybe one of us will remember to stop for gas.

I've never carried a siphon hose nor the need for one. I think it's kind of silly- if you can't read a gas gauge, especially one that blinks at you, and run out then you deserve to be walking. I'd just shake my head and call you a dumbass. I'll fetch you gas but you'll be left on the side of the road and I'll be taking my sweet-ass time. Ain't no man ridin' bitch on my bike. I have never once in or on any vehicle ever run out of gas. I can see the noted exceptions of out west and the distances between and the extra planning needed but really, running out of gas?
It's pretty easy to find that the gas station that was open last time you rode through is now closed. Many years ago, I rode with a friend on a XS11 Special that had a range of 120 miles - I had to share a lot from my C10 Connie. We would have to gamble on range a lot or we'd never ride anywhere. He carried a 1l fuel bottle that I could refill in a few seconds from the petcock on my bike.

These days, I carry a quick disconnect and some hose on my GSA. The QD plugs into the FI return line and pumps fuel at about 3 psi - perfect for sharing fuel. Since the GSA holds 30l, I'm never the one running out of fuel but the rule is that the person topping up from the GSA-tanker is the one buying the beer that night!

Since the FJR doesn't have a return line, it's not an option but I will probably rig something similar up to my Joe2lmaker tank when I install it.

It's pretty easy to find that the gas station that was open last time you rode through is now closed. Many years ago, I rode with a friend on a XS11 Special that had a range of 120 miles - I had to share a lot from my C10 Connie. We would have to gamble on range a lot or we'd never ride anywhere. He carried a 1l fuel bottle that I could refill in a few seconds from the petcock on my bike.

These days, I carry a quick disconnect and some hose on my GSA. The QD plugs into the FI return line and pumps fuel at about 3 psi - perfect for sharing fuel. Since the GSA holds 30l, I'm never the one running out of fuel but the rule is that the person topping up from the GSA-tanker is the one buying the beer that night!

Since the FJR doesn't have a return line, it's not an option but I will probably rig something similar up to my Joe2lmaker tank when I install it.
Long ago, pre-gas gauge, with a friend on a 2-lane causeway, three miles back or forward to the next island, heavy traffic, no shoulders, nowhere to pull out of traffic. His scrambler starts missing/hesitating, and he points down to his tank.

"Put it on reserve," I yell.

"It is on reserve," he yells back.

Since it's Friday,
cat%20-%20i%20love%20this%20thread%20so%20much-2.jpg

Took a multi-day trip once with a buddy, both on our 08 FJR's, we weigh about the same, was quite fascinating that after burning through entire tanks 200 miles plus we'd compare how much fuel we were taking--every time the bikes would take within .1 gallon of each other through the whole trip. That's some consistent engineering.
The .1 gallon you cite could easily be equalized by simply slowly topping off the tank. When I fill the tank, especially when putting the bike to bed, I fill it to the top. Less air space in the tank means less room for condensation to form = less rust - water in the gas.

Somewhere not quite close enough to Blanding, Utah, was the first time Bugman ran out of fuel. Over 100 degrees, and yet there was shade between the cliffs while he waited for me to run 20 miles into town, and back.

tomtopittsburgh110_1024x680.jpg

Lucky you, as far as I know, there's no such thing as 100 percent gas here in Florida. 10 % ethanol everywhere ya go around here. As a matter of fact, my Feej has never had anything else in it in the 13 months I've owned it.
Gary

darksider #44
www.pure-gas.org shows a lot of ethanol free stations all over FL. Can't imagine one wouldn't be near.

Biggest green fraud perpertated on the masses. Corn farmers like it tho,the goverment subsidises ethanol production which means they use your taxes and you get poorer fuel economy. The classic double whammy. FJR Content follows: My 09 runs ok on 15% ethanol, never had anything else in it because I can't find "Pure" gasoline here in Florida.Bill
Sorry, hadn't read the entire thread when I posted.

Check this site for a listing of non-ethanol stations in Florida. https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=FL

Lucky you, as far as I know, there's no such thing as 100 percent gas here in Florida. 10 % ethanol everywhere ya go around here. As a matter of fact, my Feej has never had anything else in it in the 13 months I've owned it.
Gary

darksider #44
www.pure-gas.org shows a lot of ethanol free stations all over FL. Can't imagine one wouldn't be near.
A lot of those would be marinas servicing mainly watercraft. Very common here as well...in summer. Very hard to get corn-free in winter here.

Wow... it's been about 4 years since I posted that comment about the non alky gas. I've found one or two stations that sell the pure stuff, but never found 87 octane. It's always 89 or higher. I'm fine with the 10 percent mix. Bike has no issues with it that I can tell... and it's seriously cheaper than the pure stuff.

Gary

darksider #44

Somewhere not quite close enough to Blanding, Utah, was the first time Bugman ran out of fuel. Over 100 degrees, and yet there was shade between the cliffs while he waited for me to run 20 miles into town, and back.
tomtopittsburgh110_1024x680.jpg
That tinker toy probably has a fuel capacity of just over 1.3 gallons!!