2004 Connie

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Richouse

Reaction score
A friend of mine is looking at a 2004 Kawasaki ZG1000 Concourse. It looks fairly low miles at 20K. At $4400 if it has no problems looks to be a fair buy. He asked me what I thought but I know nothing about this bike. I'm sure some of you guys have owned one and I'm just looking for some info. to pass along to him. Are they good bikes? What problems is this bike prone to?

Here is the bike ---> Click Here

For only $4400 ...you could have a lot of fun for that little of cash. Looks a bit dated with that front headlight area but I still go back to the small investment and how you can still drive her back from a ride with a smile. Looks like new rubber and ready to ride by the pics.

Last edited by a moderator:
One of the best values on the market. A little dated but very solid machines with tons of aftermarket support. I put 80k on my 99.

Great bike, surprisingly good handling, rock solid engine, lots of folks get very high mileages on them.

Downsides are that it is warmer than most in hot weather but there are deflectors available, Carbs can gum up and cause problems if it's not ridden regularly, and buzzes more than most.

The COG forum is huge and very helpful, should you have even the slightest problem.

At $4470, it is not a steal, but it looks to be in good shape. At $3500 it would be a great deal.

I had a 2000 model for five years.

First ST was an '04 Connie. Great bike but definately old school. IIRC, you had to adjust the valves every 6K. COG forum is a great place, tons of info and good peeps. Looks like a great bike, but I would try to talk em down a bit.

I would have to go with Marc on this one though, FI, adjustable windshield, and for me (5'8"), the ergos are better on the Feej. With the gen III out, there will probably be quite a few gen I's on the market. I would put mine up in a heartbeat if I had the $$$$ for a gen III

Gregory

Look for rust in tank [rear corners near knees where water collects] . Valves tighten up quickly and need frequent adjustment-cam lobes score. Carbs flood because of sticky float needles..Gas line and petcock don't like ethanol. Pretty much a solid, bulletproff scoot..

Yes, it is a very reliable bike for the most part. I put roughly 60K miles between a '93 and a '99. My '93 was as nice as you could make one at that time. Now the COG guys are even further along with upgrades that include 17" wheels, ZRX front end, better rear shock, etc... I would think it could be made much more fun to ride now, but I agree with others and for that kind of money would just add a little to it and step up to the FJR. Neither of my old C10's were any hotter than my first gen FJR's though. They were very similar in that department. And yes, the COG group and their forums are a very good, informative group that will be glad to help him if he ends up with it. But from the few times I have been to WOW, I would think a quick look on C-List for bikes in his area might find a better bargain on a C10 than they offer. Here is my '93 and you can see some different mods that I did in the albums as well.

https://rides.webshots.com/photo/2819450150061662472GmoiUY

Fast enough to get you into trouble, I never had any significant issues with mine - carbs won't gum up if you use fuel stabiliser and the cam scoring mentioned above is solely cosmetic . . . . adjusting the valves was never a problem for me. The machines were in production for 20 years so they got the bugs out, pretty much - one modification well worth doing is to install Gary Murphy's (Murphskits) headlight harness. It makes a noticeable difference. Do check the tank for rust because if the tank wasn't filled each fall condensation could collect and with newer fuels, ethanol is hygroscopic and separates, putting the collected water at the bottom of the tank, but that applies to the FJR too.

Clickable photo of my '03, taken before I farkled her up:

Last edited by a moderator:
I enjoyed mine, but the FJR puts it to shame imho. Mine was definitely hotter and heavier than my FJR. Seems a little pricey to me. For that money, I too would be looking for an FJR.

Good bike taught me a lot about sport touring. Like others have said FJR is what I would go for IMO it is just hard to beat. Should be able to find an 03 04 or 05 in same price range