2005 Gen 1 ABS bike. Brake question

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never knew about ABS test and bleeding the system, just did the standard flush of fluids every 2 years. Felt rear ABS kick in a few times, never front. Would activate rear at times just to see if it worked.

I did the test this weekend while bleeding system, felt weak at first then started getting good lever-pedal kick back... I'll have to test it more often.

Still learning. Great info. here.

Snow melted. Good rain today, salt gone. Minor deer damage repaired. 50-60 deg. time to ride.

Forgot this an easy way to check rear ABS sensor operation. Put bike on center stand. Engage 1st gear, and bring speed up 5-10 mph . ABS light will start flashing, front is not turning trips a warning.

I only ever saw ABS light come on while riding on a steep hill very bumpy. Low speed tires loosing traction.. Restarted , light out.

Time to get back to my rear brake ABS issue. My damn service manual has no mention of ABS so I guess no help there. Someone mentioned that I should check the ABS fuse first to see if that failed. I did not know there was one and have no idea where to find it. Any comment on that? I'm suspect of the local big dealer here in Tucson so looking for guidance to a smaller shop with a top notch Yamaha tech here or as far as Phoenix. The ABS warning light does NOT come on under testing, front or rear. It does light up when turning the ignition on along with the various other dash lights.
Gen 1's in the USA need the supplemental service manual as it's not covered in the FSM.

Ask around or send me a PM

Now confirmed that ABS block is toast and needs replacing. Who knows why it failed. Probably should have tested / cycled it more often. New part is $1600 plus install. Fook. Going to buy a used one from a friend, with two of these bikes, on FJRForum for less than 1/3 of that, subject to it working as intended.