2006 R1 vs R1LE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sparky3008

Finally got my collarbone fixed!!!
Reaction score
Serious question not trying to bash anyone's decision to spend their money how they want.

Many reviews talk about say an R6 being more than enough power than most non professional riders will ever need and in many cases is quicker until highend than an R1.

Now someone decides to buy an R1 and I think these bikes are as beautiful as any work of art you can name.

I know the R1 LE has the slipper clutch to help in braking, the wheels take about a pound off, and the ohlins suspension.

Are the additions to this LE really worth having for almost a $6500 price tag?

Now this is like saying is ABS worth it and I know the answer (yes).

Many who have replaced their suspension on the fjr with a high dollar suspension will also say (yes). And I still have stock so I don't know what I am missing (yet).

Is the slipper clutch really worth it if I am not really pushing this bike like a pro would?

Are these things that I could add over time and be less than the $6500 price tags without the LE label? I know the slipper clutch sells for around $750 but is that the same one. I would bet the suspension is where the money is but don't know what that is worth...

Or are we paying this hike in money also for the LE label since only a few will be made?

A lot of this is a matter of perspective. Very, very few people can push a stock R1 to it's limits. Even fewer would be able to push a LE to its limits. But neither has a lot of bearing in what a consumer with money is willing to do.

If you had a stock R1, were to buy a set of these Marchesini forged wheels, the Ohlins Superbike forks, Ohlins rear suspension, Ohlins steering dampner, and slipper clutch, and then need to pay someone to install it all, I'd venture to guess you could easily reach the $6.5K range in total cost. Maybe. Unless you bought all hardware heavily discounted and did the work yourself.

But would you really be able to take advantage of it all?
dunno.gif
Only you know if you can or not.... though again, I don't know if I'd let that premise drive a purchase decision. Hell, I know I can barely scratch the surface of my stock R1's capabilities, but that wasn't even any kind of factor in my decision to go after one.

YMMV, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the LE was NOT designed/marketed for the typical street rider, rather, for use in competition. They are bringing 500 units into the US to allow it to pass the homologation requirements that state 500 units must be made available for the bike to be legal in certain classes in the various racing organizations.

It seems that some of the changes are trivialized, however, there is significance.

For the wheels, 1 less pound of unsprung reciprocating mass is significant in regards to the handling characteristics as it requires less force to offset the gyroscopic effect created by the spinning wheels.

For the slipper clutch, I think your $750 estimate might be a little off. Besides, for the production based racing classes, you can't legally upgrade a standard clutch to a slipper clutch.

For the suspension, while the components are nice, I think they might be a little overrated. Rear shocks can be replaced in all classes, it's just that now you won't have to pay extra. Additionally, fork internals can be replaced and you can get, for the most part, a full set of Ohlins internals and put them into standard forks.

So, is it worth it? Guess it depends on who you are and what return on investment you forsee from the options.

They sold out in less than 2 days, so, I guess they gave what the market was asking for.

Thanks Randy,

My $750 was just doing a google and could be a lesser model so could be wrong.

No doubt they are hot and sold I was just wondering for "MY" money and someone who is by no means a racer would something like this be worth all that money and I think you and Warchild have answered that question very well.

Thanks

Well, I almost didn't start the thread because I was afraid I would get the it's my money comments and people would take it the wrong way.

It was really an honest question and I think I got some good answers.

I by no means mind a good argument, Hell I was raised by my best friends parents who are black, southern, and love to argue. It was how we past our time and showed our love and enthusiasm. Some can't take disagreement, I personly enjoy it.

My friend and I loved to try cut down contests with each other. Have to admit most of the time I lost but it was a good laugh anyway.

Peace...

Well I consider myself a better rider than most... but look at a lot of the riders out there.. it's not saying much. :D

I couldn't surpass the limits of a new R1/GSXR/CBRR (and would never ride 10/10 on the street) but I think all the better parts would make it easier to ride. If I had the extra cash I would go for the LE.

Anybody know if that motor has been 'touched?'

I looked on the website and the compression ratio was reading .1 higher than the 'non-LE.'

:)

Anybody know if that motor has been 'touched?'
I looked on the website and the compression ratio was reading .1 higher than the 'non-LE.'

:)
Well, if it isn't a typo or rounding difference, maybe there are different pistons in the LE. Just a guess.

How many owners really tax or even explore the capabilities of a Z06 or an F40? Part of the thrill of owning the best is knowing if you want to, you can, even if you rarely, if ever, do. Not to mention that the LE will be a hot item forever, and will no doubt hold it's value well, especially if left stock and not raced or otherwise beat on. If I had the dough, it would be a no brainer.

December Cycle World has a pretty good write-up on the R1 LE. From the article they were pretty impressed. :)

Anyone who missed out on the LE model and is interested, I know a dealer here in OKC that has has 4, 2 are sold tough. Two are still available. Let me know and I'll get you hooked up. And yes, I have an interest in this. The dealer told me if I sent him the 2 buyers he'd let me have an Fjr at his cost.

Glenn

Anyone who missed out on the LE model and is interested, I know a dealer here in OKC that has has 4, 2 are sold tough. Two are still available. Let me know and I'll get you hooked up. And yes, I have an interest in this. The dealer told me if I sent him the 2 buyers he'd let me have an Fjr at his cost.Glenn
Holy mark-up Batman! :D

Are the additions to this LE really worth having for almost a $6500 price tag?  Is the slipper clutch really worth it if I am not really pushing this bike like a pro would?
A slipper clucth is nice to have when you go into corners hot while downshifting. It prevents rear wheel lockup. If it kicks in during normal street riding levels of intensity, it means your downshift technique needs a little work. :beee:

FWIW, I've never come close to locking up my rear wheel while downshifting during spirited riding. But in the rain, it could kick in and prevent rear wheel lock up during downshifts.

Lighter wheels are a pride of ownership thing (ie Marchesini) as well as a performance thing. But you notice the better performance right away. Lower unpsrung weight allows the wheel to more easily track over pavement variations and your suspension to work more effectively ie it has less mass to control. Add to this you get a higher quality suspension package. So riding an R-1 and an R-1 LE back to back, you would feel the difference as notable, whether or not you pushed the envelope.

But keep in mind that lighter wheel weight also means lower gyro effect. So a little lower straight line stability ie when touring in heavy cross-winds or gusts. That's just the trade-off. It's like a lighter flywheel. The engine revs more easily but it also doesn't maintain rhythm as easily.

Are these things that I could add over time and be less than the $6500 price tags without the LE label?
That's the question that you only know. You can look into the price of the components sold aftermarket ie wheels, slipper clutch, and suspension.

My first reaction is that they are charging retail for these items, and then maybe some. But you only know if you price the items.

Bruno

Montreal, Canada

Gerbing G3 heated glove review

https://pages.videotron.com/mcrides/product...g/g3-gloves.htm

: