2006 - Wilbers Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I order the shock lowered the max amount, how do I match it on the front? I see that the triple tree will drop a limited amount down the fork tubes before they contact the bars. What other limiting factors are their when dropping the front? This does not seem to match the 2" drop with the shock.

Are their other issues with lowering the front?

Do I need to worry about changing the front and rear height geometry? :huh:

thanks

akfjr

Do I need to worry about changing the front and rear height geometry?
What you want to try to do is *not* change the overall steering geometry , i.e.: if you lower (or raise) the rear, you need to endeavor to lower (or raise) the front an equal amount.

If there is to be any differential, ideally you would want to have the rear raised a pinch more over the front.... which will quicken the steering (which is generally a good thing, if not overdone). If the rear is lower than the front, then this slows steering (generally a not-so-good thing)

If you indeed lowered the rear a full 50mm, that is quite a hefty amount. Did you discuss this with Klaus before ordering? You'll want to drop your forks considerably if you went down 50mm in the rear. As you correctly observed, at some point, the fork tubes will strike the handlebars.

Solution: I see a pair of D&D handlebar risers in your future. This will raise the handlebars a good inch or so, which, combined with the amount you can raise them now, ought to be close enough to do the job for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
AKfjr,

A 2" drop is severe. I'm sure you would be hitting bottom and it would be dangerous. A one inch drop plus lowering the seat foam 1 1/2", and adding a gel pad so you won't "hit bottom", would be more practical.

I also have the front lowered the accepted maximum of 12mm. The Fjclub in England had experience with lowered bikes and gave me that advice. Anything more than that and you would have interference wih the fender by hitting bottom at full stroke of the forks.

If the lowered seat and one inch lowered shock isn't enough for you, get thick soles on your boots. But please don't lower your bike by two inches. You would be setting yourself up for an accident.

Other matters to be considered is the sidestand would have to be modified so the bike wouldn't fall over to the right. The 2" drop would also require the centerstand be shortened. The shocks & forks would have to be set stiffer than normal to help reduce bottoming.

If your legs are very short, I sincerely suggest a Harley would be a better fit.

dobias <_<

Thanks for the replies Warchild and Dobias.

I haven't ordered the shock yet, wanted to find out if this will work.

Dobias, I don't understand how lowering will be dangerous. I agree that it will be easier to drag hard parts in the corners but what other conditions makes lowering dangerous?

Does lowering with the shock shorten the stroke of the shock and spring or reposition the suspension and maintain the same amount of shock movement?

I agree that the side and centerstands will need to be modified.

Does a person in the 130-150 weight range need to worry about bottoming out the suspension?

AKfjr,

The main concern would be when you hit a chuckhole or something akin to a speed bump in he road. The undercarriage would hit and a wheel would lose traction and control. This would usually happen on a curve while you're banked over lifting the rear wheel and sending you off the road. If it were a lowside, you'd be lucky. Lifting the rear wheel usually results in a highside when the grip is regained.

Excessive lowering causes loss of clearance of the wheels to the carriage. The rear wheel is likely to hit the fender on the underside. The front wheel is likely to hit the radiator and cause a loss of steering, if not damage to the bike. Just grinding the undercarriage is the least of the problems. Loss of control is the major concern.

The need to increase the suspension stiffness is mitigated somewhat by your light weight.

I'm sure you will lower your bike, but please do it in moderation and in easy stages. Cutting your seat down will make a big difference.

I ordered my Wilbers to adjust an inch lower than stock. It can still be readjusted to stock height if needed.

dobias <_<

Is the ride height adjustment something that I might need?
Which way... up, or down?

That is to say... are you struggling to put both feet down at stoplights right now on the stock bike, or is it the other extreme: that you're touching down hard parts during heavy leans as the bike is now?

If you're inclined to get the ride height adjustment, you should order it with your shock now, as it's an spendy proposition to install it after the fact (though it can be done).
Warchild,

Right now I have no problem touching both fet down at stops. Plus I'm not pushing the FJR so hard I'm touching stuff down. I'm just wondering (out loud) if this is something I might need later on. TIA

Tom

you might not need it now.... but you will when your shock fails after awhile....

Not sure how many miles you have now.. I only have 4000, but After 10-15000 milesI can be assured that it will be replacement time.. but I have to many chicky's on the back to not have the support.... I don't like the way it sags when I got a pillion on and I ride too hard to be happy with the stocker..... so I spent the big bucks..

And with this kind of discount.... (thanks WC and Klaus) its well worth it...

I made my call this afternoon and I believed I talked to Klaus.
You'll know if you talk to Klaus. He sounds just like you'd expect a Klaus to sound. :blink:
Yes, Klaus is definitely a Klaus...LOL.

When I talked to him he hesitated at confirming my order after I told him my name and spelled it out. After a pause he told me that my name "vas not on zee list". I asked if he was looking in the C's (since my name starts with C)..?? Klaus answered "here it is.....I vas looking in the K's" in a tone that somehow, positively, made it MY FAULT that my name was not in the K's. Very German....LOL LOL

No offense. Seriously. I found it quite amusing and quite German.

I had actually talked to him about 6 weeks ago about a shock (and even sent in an order) and he was curteous enough to call and tell me to wait and resubmit my order when the FJR group buy took place....and this was when the group buy was in total limbo. Nice guy. Definitely saved me some major bucks.

Looking forward to the suspension upgrades. Thanks Warchild for setting this up.

Breakdown of shocks ordered:
Model 640: 25

Model 641: 5

Model 643: 1
I'll put any speculation to rest about who was crazy enough to pop for the 643. I decided to exploit my elite status as a non-ABS owner :D and get the piggyback reservoir. Also went "whole hog" (it's a WI thing) and added both options, then sprung for the fork springs too. My Visa card is melting....but I noticed a smug look on the FJR's face as I walked past it in the garage. And the Norton looked jealous and hurt.....somehow they already know! I'll have to find a way to make it up to the Norton, lest it should unleash the Prince of Darkness against me.

While on the phone with Klaus, I did take a moment to thank him for taking such good care of us, which I think he does, on the whole. At least it would seem so from the posts here. Many times in business you only hear the complaints, never the compliments.

Can't wait to see this stuff in person and try it out!!!!

Here's a big hug for you Warchild. :thumbup:

I missed this group buy last year and have had Wilber envy ever since. I placed my order with Klaus yesterday and he said he expects to have them at the beginning of February.

Thanks again for setting up this group buy.

Chalk up another order. Ordered my 640-625-629 this morning. Just got off the phone with Klaus to confirm.

Thanks much Warchild / Wilbers!!

Just pulled the trigger on the basic 640 with the black spring, and the front fork springs.

Hell yes!

Added option 625 for pre-load adjustment.

I just confirmed my order with Klaus. My wife doesn't know it yet but she just bought me a damn nice valentines gift. Thanks Warchild for setting this up.

Splash

Ok,

1) Paid kids tuition

2) Checked credit card purchases online to make sure there is nothing unexpected on there from Christmas

3)Ordered books for the semester - Surprise - actually spent a lot less here than expected.

4)Repaired the Ford.

5)Paid for a full tank of heating oil - :angry:

6)Ordered a shock and spring set. :rolleyes:

Wonder if my wife will believe that it is a required maintenance item? ;)

Wonder if my wife will believe that it is a required maintenance item?
Yeah, right :clap: :clap: :clap:

Mrs Teerex did not buy that one last year, when I went for the whole Wilbers show (641+625+629+ springs) so I had to cancel my pricey hair extension program :haha: :haha: :haha:

BTW, my friends at the Italian FJR Forum are busy filling out their Wilbers order forms and asked me to thank Warchild and Klaus for them.

Thanks folks, you won't have to pay for beer in this country again...

Stef

Technically it is a required maintenance item. The OEM shocks will wear and aren't rebuildable. I replaced the OEM shocks on the 98se Wing at under 10k miles. For the FJR is was closed to 25k miles and it really needed it. All OEM shocks are under sprung on any bike I've tried (unless you get into the high zoot performance bikes - and you pay for it up front in their pricing).

Tires wear and are a safety item. So too, the shock and springs.

Technically it is a required maintenance item. The OEM shocks will wear and aren't rebuildable. I replaced the OEM shocks on the 98se Wing at under 10k miles. For the FJR is was closed to 25k miles and it really needed it. All OEM shocks are under sprung on any bike I've tried (unless you get into the high zoot performance bikes - and you pay for it up front in their pricing).
Tires wear and are a safety item. So too, the shock and springs.
Now you're talking.

If I slobber the original shock with used motor oil she just might be convinced that it was worn out :rolleyes: and, although I haven't verified this, I would think that the Wilber upgraded shock is less expensive than buying a new stock one from Papa Yammie.

None of you know me outside this forum so, just in case you took me seriously, my wife doesn't complain about me spending money on anything I really want. For me that's usually guns or motorcycles. We're both pretty frugal and neither one of us buys anything that we don't think is important to our happiness.

BTW, my friends at the Italian FJR Forum are busy filling out their Wilbers order forms and asked me to thank Warchild and Klaus for them.
Yeah, I just saw Francesco's order come through... man, that dude has a serious number of vowels in his last name.... :lol:

I've seen a fair-size jump in the numbers over the last couple days.... we're up to a combined 88 orders of shocks/fork springs..... :bigeyes: