2006 - Wilbers Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To fan the flames some more, here's what the non gay-ass black shock looks like. :dribble:

125586473.jpg

So...what is the perceived advantage of the 643 over the 641? I realize that the integral reservoir means you don't have to mount the remote reservoir but is there any functional improvement for the extra $$$. Just curious, not questioning anyone's choice or anything. I guess I always thought the remote reservoir was more advantageous for oil volume and cooling concerns in hard usage but possibly there is some performance improvement with the intergral reservoir??

Does anyone know for sure which lines come on the latest shocks with the remoter reservoir and preload adjuster? Some pics show braided SS and others black lines that like like rubber coated hose of some sort. Obviously it is high pressure hose but it seems funny to put braided SS lines on for brakes and such and then use none braided SS lines for a shock where the pressures will be much higher.

So...what is the perceived advantage of the 643 over the 641?  I realize that the integral reservoir means you don't have to mount the remote reservoir but is there any functional improvement for the extra $$$.  Just curious, not questioning anyone's choice or anything.  I guess I always thought the remote reservoir was more advantageous for oil volume and cooling concerns in hard usage but possibly there is some performance improvement with the intergral reservoir??
Does anyone know for sure which lines come on the latest shocks with the remoter reservoir and preload adjuster?  Some pics show braided SS and others black lines that like like rubber coated hose of some sort.  Obviously it is high pressure hose but it seems funny to put braided SS lines on for brakes and such and then use none braided SS lines for a shock where the pressures will be much higher.
Jestal, I believe for racing applications, the piggy back version is the prefered choice, because you eliminate the extra hose involved as shown in my picture above. The only advantage of the unit that I have is getting to the adjustment screws. That and there not being any room on the ABS FJR to have all available options. I believe that all lines regardless of color are SS.

If anyone near central Ohio needs to have the shock and/or springs installed, shoot me a PM. I do these sorts of things as "side work" to friends/neighbors/referrals on a regular basis. I charge very reasonable rates as I have no expensive shop, employees, or inventory to pay for.

Oh, and yes, I do fork oil changes too. I wrote the FJRTECH article on the procedure, so suffice to say I can get it done right, including a complete flush.

:thumbup:

So...what is the perceived advantage of the 643 over the 641?  I realize that the integral reservoir means you don't have to mount the remote reservoir but is there any functional improvement for the extra $$$.
Not really; they are technically (functionally) the same unit, according to Klaus. The piggyback version certainly looks very, VERY trick, and if I had gone for the upper-end unit myself, I would have gotten this version.

Do note that the killer-looking Model 643 is NOT an option for you ABS guys; this model is for non-ABS bikes only.

Does anyone know for sure which lines come on the latest shocks with the remoter reservoir and preload adjuster?
Braided stainless steel, no question about it. Any photos you may see with what appears to be a rubber hose is actually vinyl sheathing used to protect against abrasion. Braided stainless steel hoses are brutally destructive when rubbed up against bodywork or other adjacent components.

Here's an example... the 643 installed on this FJR appears to have a vinyl sheath around the braided hose (that having been said, I don't know for a *fact* if all 643 models with remote hydraulic preload adjustments come with this sheathing; you should ask Klaus if you're curious about it):

643_shock_with_piggy-back_reservoir.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So...what is the perceived advantage of the 643 over the 641?  I realize that the integral reservoir means you don't have to mount the remote reservoir but is there any functional improvement for the extra $$$.  Just curious, not questioning anyone's choice or anything.  I guess I always thought the remote reservoir was more advantageous for oil volume and cooling concerns in hard usage but possibly there is some performance improvement with the intergral reservoir??
Does anyone know for sure which lines come on the latest shocks with the remoter reservoir and preload adjuster?  Some pics show braided SS and others black lines that like like rubber coated hose of some sort.  Obviously it is high pressure hose but it seems funny to put braided SS lines on for brakes and such and then use none braided SS lines for a shock where the pressures will be much higher.
Jestal, I believe for racing applications, the piggy back version is the prefered choice, because you eliminate the extra hose involved as shown in my picture above. The only advantage of the unit that I have is getting to the adjustment screws. That and there not being any room on the ABS FJR to have all available options. I believe that all lines regardless of color are SS.
I knew I'd seen some reference to this in Kevin Cameron's "Sportbike Performance Handbook", but all I could find was this sentence on p. 113 discussing Supersport suspension mods (echoing skyway's thoughts about the hose and racing applications):

"Where the first level of rear damper upgrade moves to a unit with a remote reservoir, Superbikes are using integral-reservoir units that avoid the flow complications of the remote's long hose."

I figure that jestal and other engineers with knowledge of fluid mechanics are a lot better than I am at interpreting the "flow complications" of that reference and how performance might be affected.

My turn. I ordered the 640 with both options this morning in the "classic black". Also, after many phone calls and much deliberation, I've decided to send my forks out to Racetech for springs, both gold valves, fluid, seals, the whole enchilada. The decision was more a financial one than anything else. I didn't choose them because they were better than anyone else, I chose them because they were the lowest price for the upgrades provided. I know that's not the smartest criteria to use, but my kid's tuition is pounding the shit out of my finances these days. I would have liked to get the 643 shock too, but sometimes you just have to compromise a little. Anyway you slice it, this stuff is going to add up to a significant upgrade over stock. I can hardly wait.

Thanks to Warchild (I love the Tull reference BTW) and Klaus for putting this deal together. And thanks to Lee (Sportryder) for answering ALOT of questions for me about suspension stuff.

My Visa card isn't going to forgive any of you anytime soon. :D

Well I "pulled the trigger" today and ordered my shock and front springs. I got the 640 with both options. My thanks to Warchild and Klaus for this group buy. I'm sure at 16k miles my FJR will need the new "goodies". Now I just need to get someone to install the front springs. I just don't have the time/tools to do this. How about you Yamaholic?

Tom

There is one week remaining on this Group Buy; it ends on Monday, Jan 23, 2006.

Group Buy stats: a combined 105 orders to date.

- 49 Fork Springs

- 56 Shock Absorbers

Model breakdown of shocks ordered:

- Model 640: 47

- Model 641: 8

- Model 643: 1

There is one week remaining on this Group Buy; it ends on Monday, Jan 23, 2006.
Group Buy stats: a combined 105 orders to date.

- 49 Fork Springs

- 56 Shock Absorbers

Model breakdown of shocks ordered:

- Model 640: 47

- Model 641: 8

- Model 643: 1
What was the total on the first GB?

So...what is the perceived advantage of the 643 over the 641?
My decision to go with the 643 was rationalized as follows: Hmm, that 640 looks good, but the remote reservoir thingie on the 641 would be the hot ticket. But damn, then I gotta mess with another hose and another mounting location. Ya know, that piggyback deal on the 643 is only a little more $, and since I don't have ABS it fits on my bike. Hmmm. Ah, what the hell, ya went and blew a shitload of cash for the bike, might as well get the best shock ya can while the GB is on.

Logical? Hardly. Practical? Maybe. Value of occasionally abusing the Visa for a top notch farkle? Priceless.

:D

Since my '05 FJR now has 20k miles on it, and I received a nice bonus at work at year end and it was burning a hole in my pocket, I figured my bike was about due for a suspension "freshening up" so I pulled the trigger today on the 640 with fork springs.

Looking forward to the receiving them. Thanks for putting this together Warchild.

I just don't have the time/tools to do this. How about you Yamaholic?
Hehe, well, I doubt can haul the bike stand up to VT, but you are more than welcome to come down to OH. Heck, I'll even out you up for the night since it's a long journey.

You'll love the shock and springs, Tom. Really makes it feel like a new bike!

I just don't have the time/tools to do this. How about you Yamaholic?
Hehe, well, I doubt can haul the bike stand up to VT, but you are more than welcome to come down to OH. Heck, I'll even out you up for the night since it's a long journey.

You'll love the shock and springs, Tom. Really makes it feel like a new bike!
Yamaholic,

I may just take you up on that. I never ridden in Ohio so it might be fun. Plus, keep me posted on the Ramble. I'd like to try it sometime after what Wheaton told me about it.

Tom

Okay, for this novice at ordering this type of part, I think I am going to order this.

I hope i do not sound that stupid asking my fello FJR riders some questions that might have already been asked and answered.

I think my wallet will only allow for the least expensive model.

I do have the 05 abs and have not really had an issue with the current set up.

The rear end did tend to bounce or hop around the corners while at EOM last year at the Dragon.

Unfortantely I guess age is catching up to me and I'm up to 220 lbs, 5'9.

I mostly ride the bike solo and with bags installed loaded down.

I do seem to have to balance the bike at stop lights, both feet touching on balls of feet.

I would like to pull the trigger on this, I guess I'm asking what I should request.

If I ride two up I'm almost at the limit then add some gear and more than likely I'm going to be over it.

I would like to think i'm going to drop some weight before EOM this year, so I want a set up for commuting, bt want to be able to enjoy the twisties with a few adjustments and then put it back for my normal driving.

I would like to think I can do this myself, so I will be doing this myself unless some one close wants to supervise later in the spring once it arrives.

Well thanks for the advise and council.

MIke :haha:

Well, alot of this is what you have to tell Klaus. If I were you, I would add about 10-20lbs to your weight for the weight of gear, depending of course on what kind of gear your riding in (ie full leathers vs tshirt, flip-flops, and shorts) Then take a guesstimate on the weight of the gear you carry with you. The side bags are rated at what, 40lbs each? Guess (or actually use a scale and find out) what you think you carry with you, and add that into the Cargo Weight section of the form.

The biggest thing I keep hearing people say is get the 625 remote preload option. This will allow you to add preload if you do have a passenger riding with you. If you dont get this option, you will have to use a tool (spanner?) to adjust this. From what I hear, a real ass-pain to do.

Well, after much deliberation I decided to go for it. Just finished placing the order for forks sprinks and a 641 with all the goodies.

:clap: :dance: :D

It's a good thing its going to take 4 weeks to show up, now I need to figure where to get the money for it from. (Hmmmm, new roof for the house or just buy a bucket for when it starts leaking...... :blink: )

I'm in! Thanks WC, your efforts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all the other posters for educating me about Wilbers shocks and rear suspension stuff in general. :clap:

I'm in!  Thanks WC, your efforts are greatly appreciated. 
Thanks to all the other posters for educating me about Wilbers shocks and rear suspension stuff in general.  :clap:
Ric, you should have let me know you were interested in the Wilbers. My bike is available to you guys anytime for a test ride. :)