2008 Yamaha R6, a bit of advice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhody

Reaction score
I am considering a 2008 Yamaha R6, the first year that went to variable intake system, bone stock, 500 miles, 8495 $

I joined the R6 Forum, but after checking it out, am not overly impressed.

I know others here have R1's, R6's, and mainly my questions are about standard stuff.

Trying to keep the post pithy...

Extra's:

heli bars must have

seat insert's (comfort) must have

case savers must have

K&N air filter must have

Isle of Mann (oversized windscreen) must have

rear sets nice to have

recessed turn signals nice to have

suggestion's, must have's, nice to have's

links to good vendors...

As always, thanks in advance...

Rhody...

Not sure how hard you are going to push it but if you are.... Tires and suspension work.

Not sure how hard you are going to push it but if you are.... Tires and suspension work.
FJR-Don,

As you mentioned tires are a big deal, and suspension setup is real important.

I am sure things are better than the days of the FrankenBikes in the 80's with flexy flyer suspensions, etc... I survived one of those too, an 81 Honda CB900F.

I usually don't ride to more than 80% on the street, and may use brakes/throttle to 100%, but not

that often. The main thing is over the year's I have been spoiled with the torque (but not weight) of the FJR. I am not sure I will even

make an offer yet, once I ride it for 30 minutes or so on backroads I will know for sure. I may want to go to an R1, but after seeing video's of both over the years can't tell if in fact either one will suit my needs.

I was thinking about attending Penguin Racing school in NH, but they supply the bikes Ducati 10 or 1198's not sure which.

Rhody...

Years ago the forum to go to was R6messagenet but everyone jumped ship and went to another board. I can't remember its name right now...

I haven't any recommendations regarding a 2008. I have had several of the first generation models '99-'02. It was common to do the usual: pipe/jet kit, suspension/tires, steering damper, upgraded brake lines and brakes, etc.

Sorry not much help.

I would think you can't go wrong with suspension and probably a steering damper to start with.

I bought a used 2004 R6 (original owner put 900 miles on it) before I traded it in for th FJR.

Must haves - I put GenMar risers and swapped the stock seat with a corbin. Any kind of bar risers are a must IMO

I used a magnetic joe rocket tank bag that I could also lean on while on the superslab.

For chain lube I recommend Bel Ray.

Great bike! I put 10,000 miles on her in a year and never had any problems.

FJR-Don,

As you mentioned tires are a big deal, and suspension setup is real important.

I am sure things are better than the days of the FrankenBikes in the 80's with flexy flyer suspensions, etc... I survived one of those too, an 81 Honda CB900F.

I usually don't ride to more than 80% on the street, and may use brakes/throttle to 100%, but not

that often. The main thing is over the year's I have been spoiled with the torque (but not weight) of the FJR. I am not sure I will even

make an offer yet, once I ride it for 30 minutes or so on backroads I will know for sure. I may want to go to an R1, but after seeing video's of both over the years can't tell if in fact either one will suit my needs.

I was thinking about attending Penguin Racing school in NH, but they supply the bikes Ducati 10 or 1198's not sure which.

Rhody...

Rhody,

I would vote for a R1... I have a 08 CBR1000 track bike and have fun following 600cc bikes around the track watching them hammer up and down threw the gears floging the crap out of there bikes while I'm staying in one gear just rolling on and off throttle.... :huh: Not say a modern 600 is not fast just alot of work to keep it in the powerband.... And at age 50 I like being alittle lazy.

Rhody,
I would vote for a R1... I have a 08 CBR1000 track bike and have fun following 600cc bikes around the track watching them hammer up and down threw the gears floging the crap out of there bikes while I'm staying in one gear just rolling on and off throttle.... :huh: Not say a modern 600 is not fast just alot of work to keep it in the powerband.... And at age 50 I like being alittle lazy.
FJR-Don,

Your thought has already crossed my mind, the R1 is about 1.5 inches longer in the wheelbase and is supposedly more comfortable.

If my little test ride on the R6 feels little I am rattling the things cage, I may go for it, but R1's are really fast, and at my age I really don't need that (on second thought, never mind... :diablo: )

Rhody...

Stomp grips or snakeskin tank pads help a lot to keep weight off wrists. I have a 2005 and think it is a great bike.

Has anyone used RG3 Suspension to re-valve their R6 ?

RG3 Suspension

The May 2010 Motorcyclist mag, page 98, "Doin Time" gives the re-valve of the fork and rear shock high marks for about 500$

I can't see putting more than 2000 $ into a high end set of Olins, and all the great hardware, if a re-valve makes for a more compliant/stable ride

under heavy braking and irregular roads. They have shops all over the country, one fairly near me in New Jersey.

If anyone has any other suggestions, I am all ears.

I am also looking for an oversized wind screen (similar to those used by on the 600's in the Isle of Mann TT).

Have not been able to find a vendor/link that sells them so far, but will keep looking.

In advance, thanks...

Rhody...

Last edited by a moderator:
Extra's:
heli bars must have

case savers must have

K&N air filter must have

rear sets nice to have

Why are you even considering this bike? It's one of the worst street bikes in the history of man; uncomfortable, torqueless, and handling limits that aren't even relevant to street riding. You're wanting to change everything but the crankshaft; doesn't that make you think it's not the right bike?

Find a mint, bone-stock YZF-600R (they made it till '06 IIRC) for $3k-3500 and take it to GMD-Computrack for $2k in suspension work. You'll have a bike that's comfortable and considerably faster in the real world. And money left over for a dirt bike.

Extra's:
heli bars must have

case savers must have

K&N air filter must have

rear sets nice to have

Why are you even considering this bike? It's one of the worst street bikes in the history of man; uncomfortable, torqueless, and handling limits that aren't even relevant to street riding. You're wanting to change everything but the crankshaft; doesn't that make you think it's not the right bike?

Find a mint, bone-stock YZF-600R (they made it till '06 IIRC) for $3k-3500 and take it to GMD-Computrack for $2k in suspension work. You'll have a bike that's comfortable and considerably faster in the real world. And money left over for a dirt bike.
MotorToad,

I haven't ridden an 08 R6 yet, and may never get a chance to, someone at work has an 04 R6 and he agreed to go with me after work someday for about an hour on back twisty roads to see if my old body can take what it dishes out without complaint. You may be right about the 08, but everyone needs to judge for themselves at the end of the day. Zinging the motor may not suit me but I won't know till I get there. Have another friend with an 03 R1 and he said we could ride in the near future as well, with brand new rear tire. So I can compare using the motor/torque of an R1 with more technical requirements of an R6.

My needs for this bike are quite simple, a hour or so a couple times of week on twisty back roads, and to have a decent amount of power, stopping ability and handling.

The real PITA is the dealers won't let you ride a new bike and you practically have to be the owner's brother to ride a used one, (even with high miles) as well.

I just can't see paying 3.5 - 8 or 9 grand on it only to discover a month later that I can't stand it. Sales tax, insurance, and depreciation in trying to resell it are not

something I care to deal with.

Rhody...

Extra's:
heli bars must have

case savers must have

K&N air filter must have

rear sets nice to have

MotorToad,

I haven't ridden an 08 R6 yet, and may never get a chance to, someone at work has an 04 R6 and he agreed to go with me after work someday for about an hour on back twisty roads to see if my old body can take what it dishes out without complaint. You may be right about the 08, but everyone needs to judge for themselves at the end of the day. Zinging the motor may not suit me but I won't know till I get there. Have another friend with an 03 R1 and he said we could ride in the near future as well, with brand new rear tire. So I can compare using the motor/torque of an R1 with more technical requirements of an R6.

My needs for this bike are quite simple, a hour or so a couple times of week on twisty back roads, and to have a decent amount of power, stopping ability and handling.

The real PITA is the dealers won't let you ride a new bike and you practically have to be the owner's brother to ride a used one, (even with high miles) as well.

I just can't see paying 3.5 - 8 or 9 grand on it only to discover a month later that I can't stand it. Sales tax, insurance, and depreciation in trying to resell it are not

Rhody...
I have an 05 R6. The ergos changes with the 06. 03-05 had the clipons above the triple clamp--later, below. The difference is subtile, but the 05 (stock) is way more comfortable than the newer ones. I hope this gives you some comparison of the 03 to the 08. As for torque, you will definitely feel the difference between the 6 and the 1.

Add>>I meant between the 04 and 08

I am considering a 2008 Yamaha R6, the first year that went to variable intake system, bone stock, 500 miles, 8495 $
I joined the R6 Forum, but after checking it out, am not overly impressed.

I know others here have R1's, R6's, and mainly my questions are about standard stuff.

Trying to keep the post pithy...

Extra's:

heli bars must have

case savers must have

K&N air filter must have

rear sets nice to have

suggestion's, must have's, nice to have's

links to good vendors...

As always, thanks in advance...

Rhody...
I don't know about the R6 in particular, but I've seen leftover 09 bikes priced a good deal lower than that. (I've been paying attention because I'm trying to pick one up, I just got an ad from a local dealer than they're selling 09 CBR600RRs for 7591).

So, I guess I'd put 'see if you can beat that guys price with a leftover 09, or use it to leverage a better price' as a suggestion. I don't know, maybe its just the CBRs that are laying around in dealers though.

Extra's:
heli bars must have

case savers must have

K&N air filter must have

rear sets nice to have

MotorToad,

Rhody...
I have an 05 R6. The ergos changes with the 06. 03-05 had the clipons above the triple clamp--later, below. The difference is subtile, but the 05 (stock) is way more comfortable than the newer ones. I hope this gives you some comparison of the 03 to the 08. As for torque, you will definitely feel the difference between the 6 and the 1.

+1 on the ergo, I have an 04 R6 set up for the track that I got from my buddy, I put 1" risers for better street ergo. The later R6 IIRC 05-08 is called an R6 S the "S" has the bars on top of the triple clamp and is more street friendly. IMHO an R1 is too much bike for the stree and burns up tires quicker. you do have to ring the R6 neck to get it do what's is was designed to do, 7k and it's starts to to come to life and at 10k and above you better hang on to your Kahunas

Extra's:
heli bars must have

case savers must have

K&N air filter must have

rear sets nice to have

MotorToad,

Rhody...

+1 on the ergo, I have an 04 R6 set up for the track that I got from my buddy, I put 1" risers for better street ergo. The later R6 IIRC 05-08 is called an R6 S the "S" has the bars on top of the triple clamp and is more street friendly. IMHO an R1 is too much bike for the stree and burns up tires quicker. you do have to ring the R6 neck to get it do what's is was designed to do, 7k and it's starts to to come to life and at 10k and above you better hang on to your Kahunas
Yeah, Yamaha kept the 05 R6 around as the S model for 06-present. They did away with the upside down forks and detuned the motor a little. When it is all said and done, I think the current CBR's are more comfortable than the R6's. I have become very comfortable with my 05 R6 and have taken some multi day trips as well as done track days with it. I enjoy having a sport bike. Good luck with your search, have fun and be safe.

I just bought a new '09 CBR600RR (ABS) for $8499. There's some good deals out their on new bikes. I like the CBR, but it's not built for comfort. I'm 43 and have some joint issues, but as long as I get off the bike and stretch my legs and back a bit after 100 miles/1.5 hrs or so I'm ok. Fun bike though. Stomp grip on the tank is a must for a sport bike. Power wise it's pretty docile down low, you gotta get up in the RPM range to unleash the beast. I like it that way, just putting around town and going back and forth to work it's getting right at 50mpg. I assume the other 600's would be the same. If you change the sprockets you can get more bottom end grunt, but you sacrifice top end and fuel mileage. I'm leaving mine stock, I kind of like the mild manners around town.

Well, I have had 2 R1's ('02 & '04) and 2 R6's ('02 & '03) and have ridden my friend's '08 numerous times at the track along with many other bikes. Too many to mention! The R6 ('08) is a wonderful bike for straiffing twisties! It is not a sport tourer, it's a sport bike! If you are going to just use it for carving, buy it! You won't regret it! If your going to put miles on, there are other bikes that will do that. I just sold my '04 R1 and I'll probably go back to an R6 when the right deal comes around. They are just more fun for me! I raced for 8 yrs. also. It what was back when the open class was called Unlimited Superbike. The 600's are lethal on the track in the right hands, and easier to ride also. BTW I'm 57 yrs. and my friend is 70 and still teaching sport riding with his school. Your only as old as you feel! Some days I'm 90! lol

2004 R1 specs

2003 ZX-6R specs

I have had a chance to ride both of these bikes, ZX-6R a month ago and the R1 yesterday. The ZX-6R was pretty thrashed, plenty of power, but suspension set up bad rear tire bald, and to boot the guy that I rode with is a novice and just got it, the rear wheel was out of alignment and when all those horses were unleashed she pulled to the left, not good. Midrange was ok but nothing special, to have fun you need to be above 9-10K rpms.

The R1, brand new tire, suspension properly set up (another buddies bike, seasoned experienced rider) was a blast, smooth even power in the midrange (actually more than I was used to with the FJR. Second gear medium roll on resulted in power wheelie continuous at about 10 grand very cool, another thing that surprised me was how plush the suspension (stock) is on bumps, compression, rebound, made the bike feel planted. especially in bumpy corners, a good thing. Because I ride the FJR pretty hard, I could keep up with my friend on the R1 (he has had track experience and it shows, nice smooth power wheelies, you would almost swear he was on two wheels in the wheelie, I was impressed, he has very keen situational awareness and great throttle control. One down side between the FJR and the R1 was the brakes, I liked the FJR's better, and my friend did admit that the front brake had some resistance in the lever that we felt we we were parked and discussing it. The low bars on the R1 were a PITA, and to be honest I only went above 10K two or three times, but it felt smooth, not peaky and you could steer adequately with the front wheel skimming above the ground as long as you had it pointed correctly. As far as cornering goes, the narrow bars on the R1 and cornering for me not used to it is twitchy, front feels like the tiniest change and it wiggles about, which is by design, it is just me not adjusting to it, especially at slow speeds. Something to get used to.

Jumping back on the FJR, I feel like a smooth pilot once again, but the suspension is harsh and downshifting, hard braking before corners was a chore at the elevated pace we took. We used certain freeway on/off ramps for cornering practice, and it was fun. I guess my main impression of the R1 is how high the gearing is in 1st, and for good reason. Since I always have like torque and instant response I knew the R1 would be more to my taste, but the suspension impressed me as well. Granted, had the ZX6-R not had a shagged rear tire, and the suspension setup improperly, my other friend said the compression/rebound settings on the front were different, ouch... Overall the ZX-6R had a much narrower fun factor zone, and believe it or not I don't believe would be as easy to grow accustomed to. I am very sensitive with the throttle anyway, so I would not be as likely to get in trouble on the R1. I address throttle issues in stages, a little more, a little faster in each gear as my brain "maps" the feel and power to each application of throttle. Once I am "mapped" so to speak, then it is simply a question of muscle memory, and what the turn rate and gear produces, then the fun starts.

Anyway that is my story and I am sticking to it. Now I need more time in the saddle and develop smooth cornering technique and I should be good to go. My R1 buddy likes my bike and his wife likes to ride so we agreed to another outing this time with her on the back of the FJR, which I am sure she will love.

Rhody ... B)

2004 R1 specs2003 ZX-6R specs

I have had a chance to ride both of these bikes, ZX-6R a month ago and the R1 yesterday. The ZX-6R was pretty thrashed, plenty of power, but suspension set up bad rear tire bald, and to boot the guy that I rode with is a novice and just got it, the rear wheel was out of alignment and when all those horses were unleashed she pulled to the left, not good. Midrange was ok but nothing special, to have fun you need to be above 9-10K rpms.

The R1, brand new tire, suspension properly set up (another buddies bike, seasoned experienced rider) was a blast, smooth even power in the midrange (actually more than I was used to with the FJR. Second gear medium roll on resulted in power wheelie continuous at about 10 grand very cool, another thing that surprised me was how plush the suspension (stock) is on bumps, compression, rebound, made the bike feel planted. especially in bumpy corners, a good thing. Because I ride the FJR pretty hard, I could keep up with my friend on the R1 (he has had track experience and it shows, nice smooth power wheelies, you would almost swear he was on two wheels in the wheelie, I was impressed, he has very keen situational awareness and great throttle control. One down side between the FJR and the R1 was the brakes, I liked the FJR's better, and my friend did admit that the front brake had some resistance in the lever that we felt we we were parked and discussing it. The low bars on the R1 were a PITA, and to be honest I only went above 10K two or three times, but it felt smooth, not peaky and you could steer adequately with the front wheel skimming above the ground as long as you had it pointed correctly. As far as cornering goes, the narrow bars on the R1 and cornering for me not used to it is twitchy, front feels like the tiniest change and it wiggles about, which is by design, it is just me not adjusting to it, especially at slow speeds. Something to get used to.

Jumping back on the FJR, I feel like a smooth pilot once again, but the suspension is harsh and downshifting, hard braking before corners was a chore at the elevated pace we took. We used certain freeway on/off ramps for cornering practice, and it was fun. I guess my main impression of the R1 is how high the gearing is in 1st, and for good reason. Since I always have like torque and instant response I knew the R1 would be more to my taste, but the suspension impressed me as well. Granted, had the ZX6-R not had a shagged rear tire, and the suspension setup improperly, my other friend said the compression/rebound settings on the front were different, ouch... Overall the ZX-6R had a much narrower fun factor zone, and believe it or not I don't believe would be as easy to grow accustomed to. I am very sensitive with the throttle anyway, so I would not be as likely to get in trouble on the R1. I address throttle issues in stages, a little more, a little faster in each gear as my brain "maps" the feel and power to each application of throttle. Once I am "mapped" so to speak, then it is simply a question of muscle memory, and what the turn rate and gear produces, then the fun starts.

Anyway that is my story and I am sticking to it. Now I need more time in the saddle and develop smooth cornering technique and I should be good to go. My R1 buddy likes my bike and his wife likes to ride so we agreed to another outing this time with her on the back of the FJR, which I am sure she will love.

Rhody ... B)

I just sold a FZ1 they are more comfortable than the R6 or R1 and they run great mine was a wheelie machine.