2009 Iron Butt Rally - Official Daily Reports

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since we're all just hanging out waiting, thought I'd re-post some faces to personalize this thread. Sometimes we spectators tend to forget these are real folks riding real motobikes in a very unreal event. Note - all these pix from CP2, not the finish line. Come on you folks hanging out in Spokane, get to posting!
Any news on ChrisW?

DSC02750.jpg
Chris is fine. He's scored and his opinion is that he held his standings. I have no news on any finisher status.

I got this from his wife and hope to talk to him later today after he's gotten his stuff done.

This is very cool and I'm looking forward to getting him safely back here to Maine.

SS3K at the end of the Butt, anyone?

I have been watching the Rally with interest, because I am planing on entering in 2011. I have told my family and friends about my plans, and asked for their support. The reply I got from one friend is inserted below. I don't know what to think of it???

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOW CAN YOU WANT MY SUPPORT? Fred, no way will I send you off with my blessing next year to end up torn to bits. I am sorry for the riders that are hurt. I am so sorry you feel you must do these insane rides. You crashed last year in the north GA Mountains. Compared to this, it was a simple ride. What will it be like riding a 1000 miles a day for 11 days? Does that make sense? NO! I am so sorry you feel you must fulfill your life in such a way. What a pity. There are so many many other safe ways to feel fulfilled and happy. You have absolutely no conception of how those of us who love you fret and worry. It is not considerate of you at all. You simply want to do what Fred wants to do with no thought of others. Now I have said my say.

I am sure this message has not changed your mind and I may have lost a friend, but I will not have you on my conscience if you are killed in a crash. I will grieve terribly, I assure you.

Sara

Happy Trails

Atlanta

I have been watching the Rally with interest, because I am planing on entering in 2011. I have told my family and friends about my plans, and asked for their support. The reply I got from one friend is inserted below. I don't know what to think of it???-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HOW CAN YOU WANT MY SUPPORT? Fred, no way will I send you off with my blessing next year to end up torn to bits. I am sorry for the riders that are hurt. I am so sorry you feel you must do these insane rides. You crashed last year in the north GA Mountains. Compared to this, it was a simple ride. What will it be like riding a 1000 miles a day for 11 days? Does that make sense? NO! I am so sorry you feel you must fulfill your life in such a way. What a pity. There are so many many other safe ways to feel fulfilled and happy. You have absolutely no conception of how those of us who love you fret and worry. It is not considerate of you at all. You simply want to do what Fred wants to do with no thought of others. Now I have said my say.

I am sure this message has not changed your mind and I may have lost a friend, but I will not have you on my conscience if you are killed in a crash. I will grieve terribly, I assure you.

Sara

Happy Trails

Atlanta
Sara doesn't ride, does she?

And good luck getting into the 2011 - there will be over 3,000 applications for 100 spots.

I just got an e-mail from Jennyfer Audet...

She and Jacques are safe and scored...they achieved "finisher" status, which was their main goal...

Jacques' bike was giving them grief for the last five days...it would only go 70mph (and that was downhill...!!!). They think it might be the fuel pump...they will fix it tomorrow after a good night's sleep...

Last night, they rode down some cow path, at night, on sportbikes, to get to a bonus that was worth major points...ah, the life of an IBR participant... :p

Now they have the 4200 km (2600 mile) ride home...I don't think they will be doing it at a blistering pace...

Can't wait to read the final report...

Cheers!

Kevin Craft

Rallymaster

Rendez-vous rally

I just got an e-mail from Jennyfer Audet...
She and Jacques are safe and scored...they achieved "finisher" status, which was their main goal...

Jacques' bike was giving them grief for the last five days...it would only go 70mph (and that was downhill...!!!). They think it might be the fuel pump...they will fix it tomorrow after a good night's sleep...

Last night, they rode down some cow path, at night, on sportbikes, to get to a bonus that was worth major points...ah, the life of an IBR participant... :p

Now they have the 4200 km (2600 mile) ride home...I don't think they will be doing it at a blistering pace...

Can't wait to read the final report...

Cheers!

Kevin Craft

Rallymaster

Rendez-vous rally
This is great news! I met them both at the MM1k rally earlier this year. What an awesome pair of people.

Completely dug the bike choices too.

I have told my family I ride LD for the same reason I used ot mountain climb, and if they don't understand that is OK because I don't understand some of the things they do.

And they never get the irony of "You're so selfish, wanting to go off and do things you want to do. Think of how we feel?"

I have been watching the Rally with interest, because I am planing on entering in 2011. I have told my family and friends about my plans, and asked for their support. The reply I got from one friend is inserted below. I don't know what to think of it???-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sara

Happy Trails

Atlanta
Wow. I myself wouldn't talk anyone into doing an IBR...but I would wish you the best and enjoy your enthusiasm. I don't know about this friend. I would be more worried about her and her friends and family than I would be about someone who took a bit of risk.

Last edited by a moderator:
All riders have been scored.

We are now reviewing the packets of the alleged top finishers. We will bring them in one-by-one this afternoon to interview them before tonight's Awards Banquet.

Quote by HappyTrailsI have been watching the Rally with interest, because I am planing on entering in 2011. I have told my family and friends about my plans, and asked for their support.
I have no wish to ride a rally, not even much desire to ride a 1k. But all my friends and family know that I am going to do somethings that they might not like.

Good luck on your goal...

I am blessed and fortunate for immediate and extended family members who do not understand the fun, thrill, and contentment riding a motorcycle, but see the joy and fun I experience doing it. And it does not hurt to see me serving others through my involvement in the PGR & CMA while riding my motorcycle. They support me wholeheartly even though concerned about the danger and possible pitfalls. They trust me to know my limitations and as my big bro says "to be very mindful of RISK MANAGEMENT". They've seen me not ride when it's prudent: really bad weather, not feeling well mentally or physically, bike not prepared, etc. They also see the lengths I go to minimize problems such as ATGATT, good equipment, lighting, etc.

I was flying when my parents were alive, and my immediate family had much more of a problem with that.

My wife makes good suggestions and checks on me which I do appreciate. Mike: checklist??? medicines? gear? hydration products? GPS? phone charged w/charger? maps? left at home written approx itineary? approx return home?

Very very rarely has she discouraged me from taking a bike trip because of some family get together or schedule

I can only remember once that a trip was during my oldest daughter's birthday and I realized I should not go

Well, again, I count my blessings and just wish the good Lord would come up with an appropriate engine for me

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

I have no wish to ride a rally, not even much desire to ride a 1k. But all my friends and family know that I am going to do somethings that they might not like.
Good luck on your goal...
Same here. I don't think I've ever ridden more than 800 miles in one day. Sure I could do 1,000 miles or even more, but just don't want to most of the time. I've done some things others would not (e.g., snow camping to ski extreme terrain in the back country) that have tested my limits -- in a couple instances even having to tamp down that rising sense of panic in the belly and focus on what I knew I could do.

But while I've done some dangerous things, I don't consider myself a "risk taker". I've skied extreme stuff at full potential, rested, on my game, knowing the risks that snow conditions and exposure provided. Many here don't have what it takes to do that. By exactly the same token, however, I don't have what it takes to do what an IBR requires (never mind WC's 7 BBGs in a row!). I don't ride well fatigued, and I know myself well enough to know I cannot summon a way around the fatigue I'd suffer after a couple days. For me, it'd be sheer determination to get somewhere and the luck to do it safely, both diminishing with each successive day. That's just me and my limitations, but I can admire those who can do it, and I'm good with the fact that it IS fulfilling to them. Ain't it cool that we're not all the same?

And they never get the irony of "You're so selfish, wanting to go off and do things you want to do. Think of how we feel?"
Amen! One of the most important things to me is the fervent desire that at the end of my days I need never say that I ever made anyone's life less than it could have been. Counsel safety, counsel wisdom, live with an inability to fully grok what makes another individual feel fully alive, but I'll never understand invoking one's own selfish perspective to inhibit another from living his or her life to the fullest.

Looking forward to reading the official results for those who just completed a fully alive experience in Spokane.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terrible news about Davo (Aussiedave) and he was so close to the barn, too.

My thoughts are with the family and friends right now and prayers for Davo's speedy and complete recovery.

I just don't know what else to say :(

Congrats to all those who made it home - well done :clapping:

Cheers,

Allan

Sara

Happy Trails

Atlanta
Fred, I'd just have to say that Sara's statement about her fretting and worrying is a choice for her to make. Concern is totally different than worry which is fear based, but it is a choice she makes not you. Her statement about you thinking only of yourself is actually a self centered statement in itself. It wouldn't really matter whether it was motorcycle riding, mountain climbing, car racing or whatever. You make your own choices, understand the risks and accept the outcome. Many don't understand why people climb mountains or any other dangerous sport, but it is a judgmental position to condemn a person who chooses to do it. I don't know you or Sara, but love doesn't do what she has stated.

doctorj

Sara

Happy Trails

Atlanta
This is obviously a person who doesn't understand adventure. She doesn't understand the concept of a person pushing themselves to see exactly what they might be capable of. You could never explain it to someone like this.

My reply to her would be something like this: "I am sorry you cannot understand how I might need to have a life changing experience. This is no different than if I wanted to climb a mountain, or sail in the ocean, or any other high adventure activity. I didn't mean to get in an accident last year, and I certainly didn't do it to hurt you, or anyone else."

In the times I did the Iron Butt I know my friends and family worried about me while I was doing it. Particularily my father. He was never a person who wanted to take chances, and never understood that did. He did however respect that it was important to me. He also never understood why riding a motorcycle was important to me. He told me when I was about 35 that he had thought for a long time that I would out grow it eventually, but that he had given up on that.

The other thing I think you have to remember is that no matter what activity you do, there will be people how worry about it. There are people who worry every time a loved one gets on a airplane, or drives in traffic, or rides a horse. If you are going to determine what you are going to do in your life based on not making anyone who cares about you worry while you do it, you may not be doing anything in your life.