2012 Goldwing

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DABRIT

Reaction score
Honda have announced the 2012 version of the Goldwing.

* Upgraded Styling

* Improved Luggage capacity

* Ipod Integration

* Improved Weather Protection

* Upgraded GPS system - color screen, lane guidance, SD card route transfer

* Audio system with surround sound

Base $23,199

Fully Loaded $28,499

2012 Goldwing - Honda Site

Some of the new colors look nice, not sure about the chrome look on the fairings though. It will be interesting to see one up close and personal.

DB

It sure is trying to be an Accord. Just say screw it and buy a 4 wheeled GoldWing (Accord) with a sunroof! ;)

I don't know. I think it looks ok. I like the rear a lot better than the old.

Still, no revolutionary updates. Me thinks BMW with their new K1600GT/GTL is going to be stealing a LOT of Goldwing sales. A lot more technology on the BMW, as well as lighter weight. I mean, the GW still does NOT have an electrically adjustable windscreen. Un-acceptable for that type of bike imho.

Can't wait to see a MCN comparo.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if the BWM is going to steal a lot of GW sales. The BMW is very sharp to be sure, but it's a bit more on the sport side than the GW. Those who might lean toward the FJR spectrum of riding preferences would surely go for the BMW, but GW riders like their big comfy seats with backrests, etc. I could be wrong, but they seem different enough to me to cater to different markets. I like the BMW though.

Looks good on the web, will have to see one in person for the final verdict.

Gotta agree though...those bags are getting pretty close to a Vision, which would make it one bugly motorcycle.

--G

I had an '03 and the new one looks like someone tried to blend in new styling with the old. The rear end especially, in the pics looks like 2 different bikes put together. Maybe it's just because I had one and was around them so long, but it looks wrong to me.

I think the new BMW was already poised to sift sales from Honda. This "new" Goldwing doesn't look like an offering that will change minds back. My dad is in the market to replace his GL1800. He was already panning to go ride the new K1600GTL. He is looking for more than just "bold new graphics" in the next wing.

He might have missed the ipod connectivity feature though, that might change his mind...

I don't know. I think it looks ok. I like the rear a lot better than the old.

Still, no revolutionary updates. Me thinks BMW with their new K1600GT/GTL is going to be stealing a LOT of Goldwing sales. A lot more technology on the BMW, as well as lighter weight. I mean, the GW still does NOT have an electrically adjustable windscreen. Un-acceptable for that type of bike imho.

O contrair, Check the spec's.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
the GW still does NOT have an electrically adjustable windscreen. Un-acceptable for that type of bike imho.

Dave
I can't find anything in the specs to indicate an electric windshield. Where did you find that? In the pics, it still has the levers to unlock the windshield for adjustment.

the GW still does NOT have an electrically adjustable windscreen. Un-acceptable for that type of bike imho.

Dave
I can't find anything in the specs to indicate an electric windshield. Where did you find that? In the pics, it still has the levers to unlock the windshield for adjustment.
From https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=43366

A simple yet ingenious ratcheting windscreen-adjustment system provides six settings over nearly 4.0 inches of travel. Operated manually, the mechanism eliminates the weight and complexity of electric motors.
What? 900lbs of other crap, including remote-control luggage and an AIRBAG, and we can't have "weight and complexity of electric motors" to run the windshield?

And for all the "FJR NEEDS 6TH GEAR" folks, note it's got only 5 gears, and 5th is overdrive.

I had an '03 and the new one looks like someone tried to blend in new styling with the old. The rear end especially, in the pics looks like 2 different bikes put together. Maybe it's just because I had one and was around them so long, but it looks wrong to me.

I think the new BMW was already poised to sift sales from Honda. This "new" Goldwing doesn't look like an offering that will change minds back. My dad is in the market to replace his GL1800. He was already panning to go ride the new K1600GTL. He is looking for more than just "bold new graphics" in the next wing.

He might have missed the ipod connectivity feature though, that might change his mind...
I had an '02, and I agree with your assessment. The older ones now will be more valuable!! The new one is just wrong. BTW, I never found a need for an electric windshield on a GL. The ergos and seating position let you set it and forget it. The sheer torque of the flat six never left you in want of a sixth gear either.

IMHO Honda is pissing away their leadership role in touring. The GL does weigh too much, it absolutely should have an electric windshield, and the luggage capacity is marginal for a top of the line tourer.

Kudo's to BMW for raising the bar although from the one review I read the passenger accomodations on their bike are inferior which is a defect that should be remedied quickly.

I still think Honda should go "backwards" and make the next GL a horizontally opposed four. It could be lighter and less complicated (and cheaper to manufacture.) Add removable bags (which IMHO are vastly superior) in 2 sizes, maybe called "standard" and "jumbo" or maybe "1-up" and "2-up".

Make the electronics an open architecture that readily accommodates end user add-ons.

Oh yea, and how about actual adjustability in the ergos so a rider from maybe 5'6" to 6'1" could adjust to fit.

None of these ideas are revolutionary just maybe more practical than making a top of the line touring bike heavier and heavier and more and more expensive.

Latest posts