2013 Cruise Control

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know I'm probably never going to be a dog in this hunt as I'm severely economically challenged, but I have to ask, once one gets past the reality of the bike and CC going out the door, how difficult or isn't it probable somebody is going to sell a fix. They fix lotsa things with an accessory like inaccurate electronic speedometers and adding some kind of turn signal canceling.

I haven't read every post on the subject, but it would seem a given MaYammy isn't going to provide such this year.

Any comment from the electrical engineering types...a module between the coil and the brain seems like a fairly easy thing...wouldn't it be a favorable fix to move the entire range up 10mph or something which is just fooling the CC brain the velocity of coil outputs.

We all understand the principle of the thing, but...

Mike

Last edited by a moderator:
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Ignacio" data-cid="1032531" data-time="1358187024"><p><blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="beemerdons" data-cid="1032457" data-time="1358170718"><p>+1, Gunny; I fully agree with this statement of AKjitsu, it also royally pisses me off that XXXXX fucking XXXXX of Yamaha Corporation cannot respond to two written letters. THE COCKSUCKER!</p></blockquote>

Admin Note for folks that may be watching. Naming individuals that work for Yamaha and attacking them on this forum isn't cool and against rule #4. The name was redacted.<br />

<br />

I'd also like to remind folks that we've had a long and successful informal relationship with Yamaha (and probably more correctly Yamaha of North America) by remaining respectful and resisting calling them names. At the same time we've also been very assertive at trying to correct problems and think they've listened and responded, in part, to this forum. Here's a <a href='https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/150205-big-shout-out-to-yamaha/?do=findComment&comment=1032463'>recent example</a>. We haven't made any formal rules on this and continue to hope common sense will prevail. Keep the firm and respectful letters flowing.<br />

<br />

Thanks.<br />

Ignacio Forum Admin</p></blockquote>

You should ban Don for that shit Iggy. Comeonnnnnnnnn......Do it!!

i actually thought he was being sarcastic..as if the guy even saw the letters with the mountain of incoming correspondence he has to deal with..hmmmm..

Maybe the guy reads the forum more than we know and decided it just wasn't worth having a sophomoric conversation with a flipping moron.

I know I'm probably never going to be a dog in this hunt as I'm severely economically challenged, but I have to ask, once one gets past the reality of the bike and CC going out the door, how difficult or isn't it probable somebody is going to sell a fix. They fix lotsa things with an accessory like inaccurate electronic speedometers and adding some kind of turn signal canceling....

Any comment from the electrical engineering types...a module between the coil and the brain seems like a fairly easy thing...wouldn't it be a favorable fix to move the entire range up 10mph or something which is just fooling the CC brain the velocity of coil outputs.

We all understand the principle of the thing, but...

Mike
IMHO Most unlikely.

The speed pickup is the rear wheel sensor. This is used also for the ABS computer and the Traction Control.

You'd have to put a black box in place that would reduce the frequency of the signals from both front and rear speed sensors or you'd stop te ABS and TC from working, and it would have to alter the speed in proportion to the difference in top speed that you wanted, say if you wanted 100mph, you'd have to reduce the speed by 80/100, which would make the speed read incorrectly in the same proportion and the odometer, neither of these would be acceptable by most riders.

You could even consider a non-linear speed reduction, say keep it accurate up to 60mph, then alter the speed out of the black box so that from 60 to 100 bike speed the signal to the computer(s) would go up from 60 to 80. Although in electronic terms that would be fairly simple, it would probably upset the closed loop control of the cruise control, and may even stop the ABS/TC systems working as they were originally designed; think rate-of-change of speed that the systems are designed to catch.

Doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

Sounds like a good idea to me......make it work.
No incentive for me. If I was lucky enough to get a Gen III, it would be a European one. 180kph (111.846815 mph) would be quite adequate for me
haha.gif

In the mean time, I make do with my Audiovox on my Gen II which holds reasonably well from 30mph to probably well over 80, not that I've ever tested it on a public road at that sort of speed
nono.gif

i actually thought he was being sarcastic..as if the guy even saw the letters with the mountain of incoming correspondence he has to deal with..hmmmm..
Right you are SouthernCruizer, it was meant as complete and total sarcasm. Regardless, I went back and removed the pejorative word from my post.

However, I'm writing another letter this time focusing on deficient attitude in responding to complaints from his consumer constituency!

Totaling up my investments in Yamaha since October of 1975 brings me to a total of $100K spent on the product line, $200K spent on BMW motorcycles.

Since my letter contained both my phone # and my email, the second letter was sent USPS Guaranteed Delivery, the courtesy of a response is expected.

But I do apologize for using the C word, even though as SC has plainly pointed out it was used in jest and humor, I'll permanently refrain from its use here!

Not to rub salt in your wound beemerdons but I did not include my phone number in the letter I wrote yet they called me. So they had to have taken the time to look me up in their system to get that info.

I'm curious if the Gen III riders believe that this cruise control issue is a show stopper for the bike? Would you buy again? Should anyone else buy one?
As a 2003 owner and someone interested in the product as a future purchase, YES, that is a show stopper for me. I had a 98se Wing with an artificial limit of 78. It was dangerous to use when west of the Mississippi because the flow of traffic was faster than the max limit of the CC. It's one of the reasons I leared how to mod the bike and change the upper limit to 102.

Being able to set the CC for +10 was the safe way to keep from getting run over. With TX speed limits now available at 80 and 85 MPH and many western states having a flow of traffic of 80+, the Gen3 limit is unreasonable, unusable, and unsafe.

See my earlier post in this thread #58.
Thanks.
blushsmiley.gif

When I consider the amount of time I am over 80 mph in a cruise situation on this bike, it's a non issue for me. I knew of this 80mph cc limit and still bought the bike. Bonus that the throttle return spring is so light on this bike it's close to effortless. Or I must have built up my strength on the '06.

When I consider the amount of time I am over 80 mph in a cruise situation on this bike, it's a non issue for me. I knew of this 80mph cc limit and still bought the bike.
Exactly!

With the amount of traffic on the roads today there are few instances where one can use the cruise w/o encountering traffic, left lane bandits or the rolling road block of big rigs. Granted, if you're in the middle of BFE it might be an issue. Show stopper, not even close.

--G

When I consider the amount of time I am over 80 mph in a cruise situation on this bike, it's a non issue for me. I knew of this 80mph cc limit and still bought the bike.
Exactly!

With the amount of traffic on the roads today there are few instances where one can use the cruise w/o encountering traffic, left lane bandits or the rolling road block of big rigs. Granted, if you're in the middle of BFE it might be an issue. Show stopper, not even close.

--G

Apparently you need to get out of Washington State a bit more. Because your above assertion is certainly not correct for the majority of interstates in the southwest.

I can see where it would not be a show stopper for most folks. But it certainly is for me.