2013 Cruise Control

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Throttlemeister still fits........
R

nono.gif

You are SO fired! Don't EVEN go there.
no.gif

Yup...The freeways in NM, AZ, NV, TX, CO, WY, MT, OK and the Dakotas can be empty and have high speed limits. As I've said before, an 80mph CC limit is too low.

Figure with a posted 75mph limit, I will run 9 over, which exceeds the current CC by 4mph. That's not much, but when everyone is running that fast going slower can be bad. And over a 15 hour day, the miles add up.

Whether or not the 80mph limit is a deal breaker is definitely a regional issue. Here in Louisiana the traffic is so thick that I would never find that upper limit. My family vacation to Arizona last year showed me a whole different world. There are miles and miles of empty miles on I-10 from central TX, all the way across NM and into AZ that beg for a higher limit. Same thing on I-40 coming home.

Just because I don't need more than 80 where I live does not mean NOBODY needs it. Knowing that with an FJR there is no telling where I might ride one day, 80 mph is not enough.

When I consider the amount of time I am over 80 mph in a cruise situation on this bike, it's a non issue for me. I knew of this 80mph cc limit and still bought the bike.
Exactly!

With the amount of traffic on the roads today there are few instances where one can use the cruise w/o encountering traffic, left lane bandits or the rolling road block of big rigs. Granted, if you're in the middle of BFE it might be an issue. Show stopper, not even close.

--G

Apparently you need to get out of Washington State a bit more. Because your above assertion is certainly not correct for the majority of interstates in the southwest.
Apparently I do...hence my reference to BFE. No matter how much debate there is, I'm still amazed of the ruckus an 80 MPH CC creates...

--G

Since this seems to be the only thing "wrong" with the new 13 FJR I can say when I am ready to pull the trigger it will not even be a thought.

So envious and a bit sick of the only thing "wrong" is the CC. Man any other bike maker would be happy as hell to hear this as the only issue on a new platform. All I can say is get over it, and I can not waite to get my butt into a 13 or better.

I mean come on guys does it really come down to picking on a 82MPH cap on cruise? I am with whoever said put a lock on it and call it a day if you need over 82 MPH for extended periods of time. I found going out west was the only time 80 came into play and then if I would have locked into 82 I would have been on and off it because above 80 is a free for all anyway and staying locked in at 82 would not have worked for very long anyway. Yep 7500 miles with no cruise and it was no big deal at all.

I sorta understand but think it is being made out as a flaw or this big issue, when it is not.

Does the 2011 have a cap? It must be the TBW that sets this right?

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wait til s/n 349 comes out with the fixed CC and all this whiney gash crying will stop.

My bride is patient with my analogies.

When I first began reading about this 'flaw' - despite all the other refinements of the 2013 - I thought "these guys have a date with a swimsuit model and are complaining that she has spinach in her teeth!"

Then I rode Lucille home from Don's last week. From Gila Bend to Yuma I had the cruise set on 85 and was passed by autos every few minutes (fine with me - let someone else feed the bears).

I now think that the swimsuit model has the spinach... somewhere else.

She could eat crackers in bed, but I'd notice.

My bride is patient with my analogies. When I first began reading about this 'flaw' - despite all the other refinements of the 2013 - I thought "these guys have a date with a swimsuit model and are complaining that she has spinach in her teeth!" Then I rode Lucille home from Don's last week. From Gila Bend to Yuma I had the cruise set on 85 and was passed by autos every few minutes (fine with me - let someone else feed the bears). I now think that the swimsuit model has the spinach... somewhere else. She could eat crackers in bed, but I'd notice.
+1, Gunny; Well said Bret, I'm still totally baffled Yamaha Corporation did something as silly as an 80mph cruise control limit on an FJR! By the way, Throttlemeisters are still on Lucille (Lucy Liu}; you'll never need them with the Audio Vox unit that Smitty141 and Fairlaner installed on her, at a SoCal Tech Day.

I'm glad the '13 has a factory CC, it's ONE of the reasons for getting/purchasing the bike.
I agree Petey. It IS the reason I purchased the bike. It's been too cold around here to ride, so I'm not sure if the limit will bother me. I don't think so, as I rarely cruise at over 80mph and when I do, I want to be in control.

Here's why nothing will be done: US Speed Limits

The vast majority of potential FJR buyers would care less if the cruise control is limited to 80 mph because they do not have the opportunity to cruise at any speeds above 80. Plus, any places where you might actually be able to do that are all so flat that a Fairlaner throttle lock works just fine.

I do find it sort of amusing that for the past 10 years, all you would hear is whining and bitching that "Yamaha needs to include cruise control on the FJR." Now that they have done that, the same people are saying they would rather they left it off and cut the price tag. Sheesh...
rolleyes.gif

I'm glad the '13 has a factory CC, it's ONE of the reasons for getting/purchasing the bike.
I agree Petey. It IS the reason I purchased the bike. It's been too cold around here to ride, so I'm not sure if the limit will bother me. I don't think so, as I rarely cruise at over 80mph and when I do, I want to be in control.
Uh Steve, you are aware aren't you that Herr Petey was the only kamikaze pilot en der Luftwaffe! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

I found going out west was the only time 80 came into play
Well, ya see, when there's no "going" to "out west" then it's a daily issue.

Yep 7500 miles with no cruise and it was no big deal at all.

So what'dya do the 2nd week?

I do find it sort of amusing that for the past 10 years, all you would hear is whining and bitching that "Yamaha needs to include cruise control on the FJR."

Not me. I can install an aftermarket CC. Where's the 750 watt alternator? Both of which I've countered since day one those who put a factory CC above greater charging capacity.

I found going out west was the only time 80 came into play
Well, ya see, when there's no "going" to "out west" then it's a daily issue.

Still in all the cruising I did you could not hold a steady 85. You always needed to go up and down and a lot more than a push up or down on the cruise for a 1 or 2 MPH change.

Yep 7500 miles with no cruise and it was no big deal at all.

So what'dya do the 2nd week?

Well the second week I think I was in Utah.

I do find it sort of amusing that for the past 10 years, all you would hear is whining and bitching that "Yamaha needs to include cruise control on the FJR."

Not me. I can install an aftermarket CC. Where's the 750 watt alternator? Both of which I've countered since day one those who put a factory CC above greater charging capacity.
I would agree with this but it is what it is. I would, and it is just me, take more alternator and less cruise but I get by now on a 10, so a 13 would not worry me any more or less.

My whole thing is it a much improved platform for 15 grand or so. They improved the cut on the tranny gears, and it got like three more HP to the rear wheels. New pistons and rings. The electronic suspension and all the other things that would cost you 6 or 7 thousand more dollars on another bike. Just seems like a bunch of old ladies that have nothing else to whine about. Hell I drove bikes for 20 something years before I had a real cruise control and the LT was 22,000 + out the door, cash I might add. So I guess the answer is buy a BMW to overcome this glaring flaw in the 13. I will have a 13 or better as soon as limited funds come up a little as I pay cash for my bikes.

Again I ask does the 11 and 12's have this "flaw" on cruise or is this just the 13 with the TBW?

I would agree with this but it is what it is. I would, and it is just me, take more alternator and less cruise but I get by now on a 10, so a 13 would not worry me any more or less.My whole thing is it a much improved platform for 15 grand or so. They improved the cut on the tranny gears, and it got like three more HP to the rear wheels. New pistons and rings. The electronic suspension and all the other things that would cost you 6 or 7 thousand more dollars on another bike. Just seems like a bunch of old ladies that have nothing else to whine about. Hell I drove bikes for 20 something years before I had a real cruise control and the LT was 22,000 + out the door, cash I might add. So I guess the answer is buy a BMW to overcome this glaring flaw in the 13. I will have a 13 or better as soon as limited funds come up a little as I pay cash for my bikes.

Again I ask does the 11 and 12's have this "flaw" on cruise or is this just the 13 with the TBW?

Huh?

First of all, only the European version of the AE has the electronic suspension, and I guarantee you will pay a price premium for it.

Second, the '11 and '12 didn't have cruise control. Where did you get that from????

As for the rest of your post, you have a way of spouting off a lot of nonsense.
smile.png