2013 FJR Customer Survey

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road King

Reaction score
Have any other new owners filled out/answered the Yamaha survey?

I just sent mine in and I also called voicing concerns about the design and lack of options for a tour top case for the FJR. I mentioned there were numerous concerns about weight restrictions and the cracking that people have been posting about. We also talked about some of the other improvements that could/should have been done with the resent updates (all that I could recall from the postings here).

I was told Yamaha takes the concerns seriously and welcomes inputs to make the FJR the best sport touring bike on the market. The first step is to answer the survey's and tell them what you think.

I have heard this company line all my life but I figured what the hell, maybe these guys really are listening.

You mean a top case like this?????

file_zps3e8b88f4.jpg

R

I filled mine out and told 'em good job but wish they would have given about 10 or 20 more mph on the cruise limit.

I was told Yamaha takes the concerns seriously and welcomes inputs to make the FJR the best sport touring bike on the market. The first step is to answer the survey's and tell them what you think.

I have heard this company line all my life but I figured what the hell, maybe these guys really are listening.
They don't seem to be listening to the Forum comments and magazine reviews about the soft suspension.

Suspension comments are very subjective, unlike cracking subframes. Harden the suspension then buyers will say its too hard. I think the stock suspension will work for most owners. Works for me. For those who want something more agressive, customize it.

Bill

Suspension comments are very subjective, unlike cracking subframes. Harden the suspension then buyers will say its too hard. I think the stock suspension will work for most owners. Works for me. For those who want something more agressive, cust
I filled mine out and told 'em good job but wish they would have given about 10 or 20 more mph on the cruise limit.
I keep reading about this 80mph limit and I have yet to find a road here in the US where it says, " Any Speed"

I keep reading about this 80mph limit and I have yet to find a road here in the US where it says, " Any Speed"
Me neither. You are always at or below the speed limit then? Good for you.
innocent.gif
It's not a big thing for me at all. There are very few times when I'd want to be on CC at over 80 but it has been pointed out there that there are roads in the US with posted limits of 85 mph. I guess that means I don't really have issues with the '13 and I really don't, great bike.

Suspension comments are very subjective, unlike cracking subframes. Harden the suspension then buyers will say its too hard. I think the stock suspension will work for most owners. Works for me. For those who want something more agressive, customize it.Bill
I was being kind when I referred to the FJR's suspension as soft, a more accurate description would be the "weak link" in a otherwise very good sport touring motorcycle. However, while the suspension is expensive to improve, it is not inexpensive to build and Yamaha could probably put some very good suspension on the FJR for a couple of hundred dollars (extra) per bike. I think they are missing sales to the European competition because of the suspension......and I never intended to imply that the suspension should be "hard", high quality suspension is not hard, it is firm and gives just as good of ride as soft suspension on smooth surfaces and a better ride on rough surfaces.

Suspension can also be a safety issue since suspension is what keeps the tires in contact with the road and maintains traction with the road's surface. BMW, Ducati, and Aprilla are currently leading the way with electronic "active" suspensions while Yamaha seems to be looking for ways to lower production costs on their suspensions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Because the competition is putting the end-all, be-all suspension on their bikes, right? I'm sure I never hear BMW owners complain that the first thing they have to do is replace the crap-tastic shocks with Ohlins.

Suspension is highly subjective. My personal dream space is where motorcycles are delivered with rigid blocks where the suspension goes; the buyer decides what options he's willing to pay for over the base package, and that package is shipped and installed before the owner takes the bike home (2nd day).

But I bet 90%+ of buyers would take the cheapest option.

innocent.gif
It's not a big thing for me at all. There are very few times when I'd want to be on CC at over 80 but it has been pointed out there that there are roads in the US with posted limits of 85 mph. I guess that means I don't really have issues with the '13 and I really don't, great bike.
Actually I am, one more speeding ticket and its no license!

innocent.gif
Actually I am, one more speeding ticket and its no license!
At the risk of being severely flamed, I will say that I too ride at the speed limit or lower (in appropriate situations). I have several reasons for this including a recognition that limits are not just there to make money for the smokeys, contrary to popular belief. I believe that if there are laws that we don't like we should endeavour to have them changed rather than just picking and choosing which laws we obey. I also have a general respect for the laws of physics - which I know can't be changed and can certainly bite you hard. Just last week there was a young man in my area that was riding, by all accounts, just "a few over the limit." After he hit the gravel on the outside of the lane, all that the paramedics who happened to be following him could do was pick up the 3 separate pieces of his body after he went into a wire-tension barrier fence in the median.

As a foolish youth I tried to convince people that I was right and they were wrong for speeding. I long ago gave that up as futile, and now I just try to keep clear of the real idiots on the road. We may have different reasons for doing so, and I know we're in the minority, but you're not alone riding at the speed limit! And the FJR sure is fun getting to that limit...

Because the competition is putting the end-all, be-all suspension on their bikes, right? I'm sure I never hear BMW owners complain that the first thing they have to do is replace the crap-tastic shocks with Ohlins.
Suspension is highly subjective. My personal dream space is where motorcycles are delivered with rigid blocks where the suspension goes; the buyer decides what options he's willing to pay for over the base package, and that package is shipped and installed before the owner takes the bike home (2nd day).

But I bet 90%+ of buyers would take the cheapest option.
I couldn't agree more. I would have preferred that Yamaha delivered the bike with no suspension at all and lowered the price by a few hundred dollars. As it is, I've blown the cost of all new rigging and now have the OEM gear with negligible miles on it sitting on a garage shelf with a market value of approximately 35% of zero.

Latest posts