2013 FJR Ride Impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I mounted my Fuzeblock under the right side panel below the seat. Its been there for 50,000 miles and never in the way.

100_4266.jpg

I really wanted to put my Fuzeblock there too but decided that adding new farkles down the road and getting at the fuses was going to be too much of a PITA with it in that location. So unfortunately, it went in the storage tray under the seat.
I guess if your always adding and removing things that could be an issue. I'm sure other setups are way more compicated then mine. I only have my GPS, Radar, and Ipod power going thru it. The wires in front of it move out of the way and it is held on with velcro so it easily pulls off to add additonal wires and fuzes when needed.

I was going to buy a K1300gt 2 years ago and i took one out for a test ride, I gotta say that maybe i was expecting too much but my riding impression of the BMW was crap with a capital K.......

You do know there is a hard and soft lever under the seat right?

May be I am bias but this version of the FJR is night and day ahead of the previous 2 versions.

I tried mine the other day in sport mode with the TCS turned off and got the distinct inpression that it would pull the front wheel up with ease. My 08 didnt feel like that ever....

So whats the serial number on this one?

R
Richard- you dont need to turn TCS off to pull the front tire off the ground, or even if you want to do a burnout. Per the owner's manual, page 4-26:

The traction control system will be disabled in the following conditions:

1. The rear wheel is rotated with the center stand down and the key in the "on" position.

2. Either the front wheel or rear wheel comes off the ground while riding.

3. Excessive wheel spinning

So, as you can see, theres really no reason to disable TCS if you want to do wheelies or burnouts. It will disable automatically :)

UPDATE: Just returned from a 3100 mile 8.5 day trip. The FJR is an amazing bike with the usual shortcomings we all seem to find regardless of make ridden.

My areas of concern:

First - the side and top case latches. It would appear that Yamaha didn't even look at the way other OEMs are latching their cases. Poorly executed. Have major concerns about the long term durability of these!! Cheesy at best.

Second - Keys. I know this seems odd, but they have a weak area in the middle and I've already got one that is at the point of breakage from using. Am learning to jiggle whatever I am keying as I turn them.

Third - Shockingly, the cruise control. Actually for me not much of an issue, but it would be nice if Yamaha would take the legal team on a ride to the Jersey river, with the appropriate amounts of concrete and other necessary items to properly dispose of them!!

Now the good. Bike handles very well and I am adjusting to it. For me it is not yet as confidence inspiring as my previous ride, but I'm getting there. One huge plus....hit a sand patch in a low speed (25-30 mph) corner and experienced a significant slide. Somehow I didn't go down, just had to change my shorts. Now that did instill confidence in the handling.

The custom Rich's seat has removed the need for frequent stops for my a$$ to recover. During the trip my butt never got to the point I had to stop and get off. Extremely comfortable. He has done 4 other seats for me and all have bee superior and saved my BFA.

The wind screen works well for me, enough protection to keep from getting too cold, and in the 110 degree heat I was in it allows plenty of air over the screen, but let's face it in 100+ temps nothing is comfortable!

Thats all I can think of for now.

I was going to buy a K1300gt 2 years ago and i took one out for a test ride, I gotta say that maybe i was expecting too much but my riding impression of the BMW was crap with a capital K.......

You do know there is a hard and soft lever under the seat right?

May be I am bias but this version of the FJR is night and day ahead of the previous 2 versions.

I tried mine the other day in sport mode with the TCS turned off and got the distinct inpression that it would pull the front wheel up with ease. My 08 didnt feel like that ever....

So whats the serial number on this one?

R
Richard- you dont need to turn TCS off to pull the front tire off the ground, or even if you want to do a burnout. Per the owner's manual, page 4-26:

The traction control system will be disabled in the following conditions:

1. The rear wheel is rotated with the center stand down and the key in the "on" position.

2. Either the front wheel or rear wheel comes off the ground while riding.

3. Excessive wheel spinning

So, as you can see, theres really no reason to disable TCS if you want to do wheelies or burnouts. It will disable automatically
smile.png
number 3 doesn't make sense.....I thought the idea was to prevent excessive wheel spin??????

R

UPDATE: Just returned from a 3100 mile 8.5 day trip. The FJR is an amazing bike with the usual shortcomings we all seem to find regardless of make ridden.
My areas of concern:

First - the side and top case latches. It would appear that Yamaha didn't even look at the way other OEMs are latching their cases. Poorly executed. Have major concerns about the long term durability of these!! Cheesy at best.

Second - Keys. I know this seems odd, but they have a weak area in the middle and I've already got one that is at the point of breakage from using. Am learning to jiggle whatever I am keying as I turn them.

Third - Shockingly, the cruise control. Actually for me not much of an issue, but it would be nice if Yamaha would take the legal team on a ride to the Jersey river, with the appropriate amounts of concrete and other necessary items to properly dispose of them!!

Now the good. Bike handles very well and I am adjusting to it. For me it is not yet as confidence inspiring as my previous ride, but I'm getting there. One huge plus....hit a sand patch in a low speed (25-30 mph) corner and experienced a significant slide. Somehow I didn't go down, just had to change my shorts. Now that did instill confidence in the handling.

The custom Rich's seat has removed the need for frequent stops for my a$$ to recover. During the trip my butt never got to the point I had to stop and get off. Extremely comfortable. He has done 4 other seats for me and all have bee superior and saved my BFA.

The wind screen works well for me, enough protection to keep from getting too cold, and in the 110 degree heat I was in it allows plenty of air over the screen, but let's face it in 100+ temps nothing is comfortable!

Thats all I can think of for now.
I can offer my $.02 worth on the case latches. I've had Gen I, II, & III FJRs. Put a crap load of miles on each, and used the side bags numerous times a week for 52 weeks a year, and never had a failure. They feel funky, but after thousands of openings and closings on the bags, never had an issue or failure.

I have also bent 2 of my 2013 keys near the middle. They are VERY easily bent. I just hope they don't break easily too!!
Guess us noobs will be investing in a few extra spare keys. Not crazy about having one break off in the bike while on the road.
not_i.gif

I have also bent 2 of my 2013 keys near the middle. They are VERY easily bent. I just hope they don't break easily too!!
Guess us noobs will be investing in a few extra spare keys. Not crazy about having one break off in the bike while on the road.
not_i.gif
Nothing new about this, my '06 keys are soft too. Just tweaked one back to straight yesterday.

Latest posts