2014 ES - OEM Horn Not Working

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZOOOMM AGAIN

Reaction score
Getting ready for our two week trip to the South, I found that my stock horn does not beep. It does sound like it's getting power but it makes a gurgling sound. Any thoughts?

Yes. The 'brain' for the electronic suspension doesn't want any of its electrical food being wasted on the lowly horn, and it's the sound of it being choked. Probably won't make the night.

It's a piece of junk, Zooomm. That's the law of nature taking over and saying, Dude! Get a real horn! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It's probably choking on embarrassment. Consider it a sign from the motorcycle Gods and replace it.
winksmiley02.gif

I've never been all that thrilled with any OEM motorcycle horn, and have usually upgraded. I have the slim PIAAs on my fjr.

Meanwhile, you might want to check that the horn's electrical teminals are tight and corrosion free. Also, iirc, there used to be a small 'point' screw somewhere on the back of the horn that you could try adjusting very carefully.

Example from the web:

DSCN1959.JPG

That small philips head screw to the right

I don't know if the newer horns come so equipped, and I'm too lazy to go dig out my old OEM horns from my '11 to see.

For those that are truly interested, per bluesdog's suggestion, I removed the horn and turned the screw (phillips head on the back side of the horn) in a little and back out and now the horn works as it did new.

It doesn't seem to make much sound, but so far every time I've used it, the offending driver reacted as if I'd blown a car horn. Perhaps it's more directional that we give credit for. From the rider position, it does sound like a muppet being choked.