2014 Stumble on accel.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As I said before, you have the patience of Job. I'd have been screaming at talking to the owner of the dealership or acting like

. Do they really only have one FJR mechanic?
Keep up the gallows humor...

As I said before, you have the patience of Job. I'd have been screaming at talking to the owner of the dealership or acting like

Hey, one FJR mech is better than none. Most Yamaha dealers in these parts only know about ATV's and that's completely understandable. My local dealer has no experience with the FJR but they would still do the best they can because, as they put it, they're still a Yamaha dealer. Just how it is.

I am just very grateful for this forum.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been following this thread from the beginning because I have a similar issue with my '14. Let me start my saying that my '14, right from when I bought it six months ago (it had 16,500 miles on it), has never run as smoothly as my '11. I know....you will say then why did you buy the '14?. I wanted a "Red" bike with cruise control and a digital dash that I could actually read. But I digress....

Anyway, it has always had a slight hesitation at all speeds. Nothing earth-shattering but just a little annoying. Then about a month ago while on a long trip, one morning a long way from home, I started her up and I almost didn't get it out of the parking lot. When I gave it even a little throttle it wanted to die. It kept that up for the next 30 miles then seemed to go back to its old self of having a slight hesitation for the rest of the day. Over the last month it has gotten progressively worse. Last week I was on another of my three day rides. Every morning it would act out the same, give it some throttle early in the day and it wanted to stop running. Had to give it a lot of gas to even get out of the parking lot of my motel (didn't really know if I was going to make it home).

As usual, 20 or 30 miles down the road it smoothed out once again but this time it acted up on and off the rest of the day. It is a little scary not knowing what bike I will be riding for the day. The part I hated the most is pulling away from a stop with a severe right or left turn then not knowing if it will quit half way through the intersection and leave me on the ground.

I've read this thread through several times as well as other references to similar problems I found on the web. As most of us would have done I looked at the easiest fix first. I tightened down the battery connections...no change. Then someone mentioned the possibility of a blocked tank vent tube so I thought I would investigate that. The inside of the cap was dirty so I make sure that was all dirt free. I also "gently" blew air down into the vent tube and cleaned what I could of the vent in the cap. The next morning I expected to pull out of my driveway with full throttle so I didn't dump it and miraculously it ran like a different bike. I went on a 150 mile ride and no issues except the constant surging that I've always had (that seems to be getting a little worse). I was ecstatic, I didn't have to worry about dumping it at the next stoplight.

Today I took it for a 40 mile ride around the local area with lots of stops and it exhibited none of the terrible cutting out I experienced last week. So I'm cautiously optimistic that the terrible cutting out at acceleration is over with. Now I have to figure out why it doesn't want to run as well as the '11 and seems to be getting more pronounced as I put more miles on it. It now has 33,600 miles on it.

OK, you guys with '14's are starting to worry me a little. Mine has run flawlessly so far (knock on my wooden noggin) after just turning 20K yesterday. No hesitations, stumbles or lack of power. Me hopes it continues that way.

Bill, I'm going to be optimistically hopeful and say you'll be back on the road by end of Sat. If I win, I'm going to throw the challenge coin back at you and make you find me a pack of Juicy Fruit that isn't 20 years old. 🙃

Glad you fixed it rainy. I've saved hundreds, if not thousands, from advice and expertise on this forum. My '14 ran flawlessly until that day in April when the problem appeared. Subtle at the start. I think it's fairly likely that it'll run flawlessly after this problem is finally fixed. If not, it'll likely be a simple fix, such as battery, venting, etc. The elephant in the room is, will replacing the throttle bodies fix this problem? We all think so.... Or hope so. Gary- your Saturday prognostication is duly noted.

***Edited to add***** The bike, the parts, and the mechanic are all in the same place. Just got told they are installing as we speak. Merica.

Thanks fellas. Runs great. I'm still clamping down on the tank leaving a stop from sheer conditioning. Amazing not to have it buck or die. Shop says they have to hold the old parts for 90 days. If Yamaha hasn't requested by then, they're mine. Thanks for all the well wishes.

Thanks fellas. Runs great. I'm still clamping down on the tank leaving a stop from sheer conditioning. Amazing not to have it buck or die. Shop says they have to hold the old parts for 90 days. If Yamaha hasn't requested by then, they're mine. Thanks for all the well wishes.
Good to hear it's running proper........

Hope they don't want the TB assembly. I am dying to see Ionbeam's dissection and post-mortem on the TPS and possibly the Accelerator sensor assembly. Also, it never hurts to have a spare set of injectors sitting around for trouble-shooting purposes.

Me too- I'm very curious. I'm fortunate enough to have a job/life/family that allows me to ride damn near 365 days a year. That, or I'm just crazy and insist on riding all the time. Thus, the problems this year have been more of a disruption for me that it might have been for a (less wussified) casual rider. I appreciate all of you who have made recommendations or gestures of support through the process, just as I appreciate Iggy's indulgence regarding a simple problem query thread that grew to 12 pages and spanned I don't know how many months. I am irrationally happy that the bags and ram mounts I put back on the bike this afternoon won't have to be removed soon to ensure ease of service and yet another upcoming trailer ride back to the shop for warranty work. If we are lucky enough that the leftover throttle body assemblies aren't claimed, I'll definitely talk to Ford Prefect and ship him the applicable parts for dissection. And retain the rest for someone who might need them for the cost of shipping.

Wow. The saga ends? What will I do next now the story is over?

Oh, wait, I know. I'll go ride KrZy8 today!

Bye ya'll.