2015 MotoGP

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also of note: Good showing for Suzuki, bad one for Aprilia and Gigi Dall'igna of Ducati... genius (the GP 15's are his design).

I got to watch the race Monday night. Last 5 laps made it all worthwhile.
smile.png

Pretty bad publicity for HJC Helmets....

For a long time, it looked like it would not be Valentino Rossi, but Jorge Lorenzo who might with the race. Lorenzo led, engaging Dovizioso in fierce combat, and handing out as good as he got, until some five or so laps to the end. He then started slipping back through the field, with no apparent reason. It was initially assumed that tire wear was to blame, but after the race, it turned out to be something much stranger. The foam lining of his HJC helmet had worked itself loose, and slipped down in front of his eyes, partially obscuring his vision. He could see only about half of what he could normally, making riding that much more difficult. That he was able to lap at a pace of 1'56.2 or so despite the problem is testament to his ability.

https://motomatters.com/analysis/2015/03/30/2015_qatar_motogp_sunday_round_up_the_un.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I got the email newsletter from MotoGP.com before I was able to watch the race (bastards!), so I knew who won. It was still an amazing race to watch! I still see Marquez as a force to be reckoned with (dead last to 5th? dayum!) and I see his title defense as viable, so here is my off the cuff prediction for the championship:

1) Marquez

2) Rossi (though I would love to see him win his 10th title!)

3) Lorenzo

4) Pedrosa

5) Dovioso

6) Iannone

7) Crutchlow

Interesting that you put Pedrosa in 4th even with his arm pump issues.

I got the email newsletter from MotoGP.com before I was able to watch the race (bastards!), so I knew who won. It was still an amazing race to watch! I still see Marquez as a force to be reckoned with (dead last to 5th? dayum!) and I see his title defense as viable, so here is my off the cuff prediction for the championship:
1) Marquez

3) Lorenzo

4) Pedrosa

5) Dovioso

6) Iannone

7) Crutchlow

Toward the end though Marquez was not able to lap as fast as the front four so it looks like we do have a very competitive season lining up! C'mon Austin!

I would imagine Lorenzo's helmet people are having their faces melted off over his helmet issue. Bad for Lorenzo and REALLY bad for HJC.

Pedrosa appears to be done. Arm pump is a career killer if they can't get it under control and it looks like they haven't been able to so far with Dani. The guy is good and has won a pile of races in the top class but looks like he'll go his whole MotoGP career without a title. He'll be lucky to finish the season.

I hate to see Nicky Hayden in such an embarrassing situation. He's just fading away....

And WTF happened to Melandri? A motoGP race winner but just clueless at the moment after being so good in WSBK.

I've been curious about this, is the MultiScreen worth the difference?
Haven't tried it but would be interested to hear from anyone that has. The standard package is good coverage, appears to be the same feed as shown on Speed channel (when I watched it there a few years back), but maybe a bit more pre and post race fluff. The VideoPass races run about 1.5 hours, where as the commercial TV typically was an hour, well actually less after commercials.

Toward the end though Marquez was not able to lap as fast as the front four so it looks like we do have a very competitive season lining up!
For the last 4 laps, he wasn't able to lap fast enough to make up all of the time he lost at the beginning. Laps 14-19, his times were faster than the P1 rider for that lap. With 4 laps left, he was still 2.6 seconds from the lead group and, even at his best, he wasn't making up more than .6 on every lap. When he saw that he couldn't catch the lead group with just 4 laps remaining, plus the fact that he had a 4 second lead on Dani, plus the fact that his tires were probably cooked from the crazy lines he had to take fighting through traffic trying to make his way back towards the front, he settled in where he was, took his medicine, and salvaged the points that he made fighting his way forward.

I do agree that it will be a very competitive season lining up, but, I think we'll see more of what we saw in 2014 with MM not getting the greatest of starts, but, showing patience and slowly making his way to the front instead of doing what he did in Qatar.

For the last 4 laps, he wasn't able to lap fast enough to make up all of the time he lost at the beginning. Laps 14-19, his times were faster than the P1 rider for that lap. ...
Where are you able to find lap times by rider?

Great races from all classes in Qatar. I felt bad for Zarco in Moto2 and Lorenzo in GP. Hate to see a loss due to equipment failure. It's great to see Ducati so strong. This will be a great year. This may be Rossi's year for #10. He is on a mission.

1) Marquez

3) Lorenzo

4) Pedrosa

5) Dovioso

6) Iannone

7) Crutchlow
I didn't catch that Pedrosa is having arm pump issues, will definitely make it harder for him this season.

1) Marquez

3) Lorenzo

4) Pedrosa

5) Dovioso

6) Iannone

7) Crutchlow
I didn't catch that Pedrosa is having arm pump issues, will definitely make it harder for him this season.
Especially since he will miss 2 races minimum. He wont be contending for the title this season.

1) Marquez

3) Lorenzo

4) Pedrosa

5) Dovioso

6) Iannone

7) Crutchlow
Especially since he will miss 2 races minimum. He wont be contending for the title this season.
Pedrosa will never win the MotoGP championship. He has been on the best equipment since 2006, and he can't get it done. He always has an excuse.

Pedrosa's best claim to fame besides being a perennial first loser is torpedoing his teammate Nicky Hayden and almost costing Nicky and Honda the title in 2006. Pedrosa should have been fired then and there for that stunt. Last year Honda finally gave his manager Alberto Puig the boot out of the paddock. I can't believe it took that long for them to send that D-bag out of there. By my count, while Pedrosa has been on the factory Honda MotoGP team he has zero championships, while his teammates have a total of 4. (Hayden - 2006, Stoner - 2011, Marquez - 2013, 2014).

Pedrosa can't fade away into obscurity fast enough. He has another excuse this year already built in for not winning. Why in the hell is Pedrosa still occupying that seat? There are many more up and coming riders that deserve the factory seat.

I really hope Rossi can win his 10th title. But I think Marquez will three-peat. I think the Ducati will go good this year, but now the are starting to feel the effects of their success and will lose 2 liters of fuel under the open-factory rules. If they continue to finish on the podium, I believe the next step is to lose the soft tire choice advantage, which I think will have a profound effect on their qualifying, hence grid position at the start which will equate to being stuck in the pack instead of fading from the front.

I think between Rossi and Marquez, they will f*ck with Lorenzo's head to the point he will make himself irrelevant and mistake prone.

My predictions:

1. Marquez

2. Rossi

3. Dovi

4. Iannone

5. Lorenzo

6. Crutchlow

who cares: Pedrosa

Looks like Honda is grooming Jack Miller for Pedrosa's spot in near future. I don't think losing the 2 liters of fuel will hurt the Ducati. Losing the softer option tire will make front row more difficult, but it looks like they can challenge with the harder option anyway. I believe Lorenzo is on a mission, like Rossi. Both are more determined than ever.

Looks like Honda is grooming Jack Miller for Pedrosa's spot in near future. I don't think losing the 2 liters of fuel will hurt the Ducati. Losing the softer option tire will make front row more difficult, but it looks like they can challenge with the harder option anyway. I believe Lorenzo is on a mission, like Rossi. Both are more determined than ever.
Yeah, but the reason Dovi lost Qatar was he was on softer tires and no side grip left last few laps. I think it will affect how the bike will handle early in the race with a full fuel load and not have the extra margin of grip that soft tires give at the start.

I don't think Lorenzo is in the same league as Marquez and Rossi for mental toughness. I really think they will mess with his head to the point he will never recover. He will win races, but I don't think he will be able to put together another championship.