• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

2015 Wheel Balancer offer

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mine showed up today. Well packed, complete with everything including Allen wrench and nice directions.

The build quality is superb. Super well made. I love when forum members craft such nice tools and parts.

Looking forward to using it. I sorta have a tool fetish, and this is a real nice addition.

Thanks FJReady.

Last edited by a moderator:
FJReady make a super nice unit..

Got mine yesterday same as above...

Thanks so much for the great product

Mine showed up today. Well packed, complete with everything including Allen wrench and nice directions.
The build quality is superb. Super well made. I love when forum members craft such nice tools and parts.

Looking forward to using it. I sorta have a tool fetish, and this is a real nice addition.

Thanks FJReady.
My sentiments exactly.

I can't wait to try it out.

Tip. DO NOT spin the rim on the balancer. Well, Unless you have about a week to wait for it to stop. Just put it on, and let it go.

Finally!! Mine showed up today. Haha...Post marked on the 14th, but took 7 full days to show up. I'd say the Post Office FUBARd it, but I know the weather has been crazy.

Either way, it's a Hella nice piece of kit. My friends will be very impressed. It's gonna go great with my newly acquired NoMar tire changer I just got. Now I have a complete set.

Thanks Russ!!

AND on that note, I have 2, approx. 6in, strips of the lead stick on weights. Where the heck do I buy more?

Finally!! Mine showed up today. Haha...Post marked on the 14th, but took 7 full days to show up. I'd say the Post Office FUBARd it, but I know the weather has been crazy.
Either way, it's a Hella nice piece of kit. My friends will be very impressed. It's gonna go great with my newly acquired NoMar tire changer I just got. Now I have a complete set.

Thanks Russ!!

AND on that note, I have 2, approx. 6in, strips of the lead stick on weights. Where the heck do I buy more?
Your going to like that NoMar tire changer. I've had mine for only one season, and I think it has already paid for itself changing 12 tires myself. I wish I wouldn't have purchased the NoMar tire balancer as I like how the cones are spring loaded on this balancing unit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Russ!!

I bought a set of spoons (Definitely worth the money!) and weights from Motion Pro.

Tip. Next time you change your tires, balance the rim without the the tire on it first.

Chances are, you'll likely never have to re-balance after the tire is put on. Most of the imbalance comes from the wheel. Not the tire.

Finally!! Mine showed up today. Haha...Post marked on the 14th, but took 7 full days to show up. I'd say the Post Office FUBARd it, but I know the weather has been crazy.Either way, it's a Hella nice piece of kit. My friends will be very impressed. It's gonna go great with my newly acquired NoMar tire changer I just got. Now I have a complete set.

Thanks Russ!!

I bought a set of spoons (Definitely worth the money!) and weights from Motion Pro.

Tip. Next time you change your tires, balance the rim without the the tire on it first.

Chances are, you'll likely never have to re-balance after the tire is put on. Most of the imbalance comes from the wheel. Not the tire.
I have changed one MC tire total. That one was with Pinhead who used to be here. We marked my rim when we did that, but didn't balance it. I didn't trust weights to stick to the rim wall. Is there a different way?

At least now I know where the heavy spot is and can place the tire dot accordingly. Seems to help. We'll see how this goes. I just lucked out that Russ was in the middle of a group buy. Having a way to change tires but no way to balance them would have just been stupid.

That one was with Pinhead who used to be here. We marked my rim when we did that, but didn't balance it. I didn't trust weights to stick to the rim wall. Is there a different way?
At least now I know where the heavy spot is and can place the tire dot accordingly...
Take a die grinder to the rim and trim until balanced
uhoh.gif
no.gif
Put the weight on the outside of the rim, just like you would when balancing with the tire on the rim. The only liability is you may end up with TWO weights fuglyfrying your rims. Oh, just the though of something so ugly as two weights on one rim ;)

Not all tire makers put a dot on the tires....so, it takes a little more work to find the heavy/light point of such tire, and locate it to the correct part of the rim...

I do not have permanent weights on my wheel to balance the bare wheel. As ionbeam mentioned, that would likely result in you having two groups of wheel weights on the wheel, one for the wheel and one for the tire. While not a huge deal, this is one of the little things we can be anal about when we are doing our own work, that a dealership would never bother with.

Instead, I balance the wheels each once (temporarily) and mark the light location in the valley of the rim (inside where the tire will cover it) and by how much weight with a permanent marker (Sharpie). Once you pop he old tire off it will be right there reminding you where and by how much.

If a tire is marked for balance (usually a mark indicating the light spot of the tire) I just align the tire mark 180 degrees opposite of my wheel's mark so that way any imbalances will tend to cancel each other out somewhat.

As mentioned above, many of the motorcycle tire manufacturers don't mark tires with a lite spot anymore, so it is a total crap shoot when you mount the tire whether the tires imbalance will be adding or subtracting from the wheel's imbalance. FWIW I do not buy into the "WE don't mark them because they are already perfect" line of reasoning because some of the worst imbalanced tires I've ever mounted were Michelins, which are among the unmarked subgroup.

The advantage of knowing how bad the bare wheel was is that after mounting a tire and doing a quick temporary balance (weights stuck to the wheel with duct tape) if the total required weight to balance is at the light spot and greater than the bare wheel amount it means that the tire and wheel imbalances are adding together. If it resulted in a lot of weight you may want to break the tire bead and rotate the tire 180 degrees and balance it again.

This results in the least possible required balance weight being used, and in some cases you get lucky and the tire and wheel cancel each other out completely, and you have no weights at all required.

Just as a counterpoint, there are many people who think that you don't really even need to (routinely) balance motorcycle tires, especially the back ones. I do not happen to fall into that camp. Especially if you do it yourself, it is just too quick and easy to skip it and take the chance.

Another shout out for FJReady's wheel balancer!

Got mine a couple of weeks ago, looks like it'll do the business. My Marc Parnes balancer might get retired...

C'mon spring!

Shane

P.S. It's likely that the first tires to get balanced with this unit could be on a HD...don't hate me...

I went to a bike wreckers and bought a heap of old clip on weights & painted them black.

Have a good assortment from 5 - 45 gram weights.

Don't have to worry too much about getting the old stick on weights & their residue off anymore.

It's my understanding that you can only buy steel weights anymore due to the EPAs war on all things lead. Sucks because it was easy to cut the lead weights to get it perfect, have to grind the steel ones.