2018 ES Clutch engages late in lever release

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RDC

Reaction score
I just picked up a new 2018 today. I immediately noticed that the clutch doesn't engage until late in the lever release. It seems I have to let out at least 3/4 of the clutch lever before it starts engaging. I had a 2009 a few years back and never noticed this issue. Could this just be a simple clutch lever adjustment? I moved the dial on the clutch lever from #1 to #3, but didn't notice any change. Or, could it need to be bled?

Didn't want to run back to the dealer unless it's something I can't fix at home.

Thanks!

I also noticed this when I got my 16...the clutch engagement is different than my 06 was. I have the PSR GP levers and adjusted them accordingly, and love where the clutch engages.

I also noticed this when I got my 16...the clutch engagement is different than my 06 was. I have the PSR GP levers and adjusted them accordingly, and love where the clutch engages.
Same here. I swapped some Piazzos on and the clutch engages about 1/4" off the bar. Full engagement comes about three quarters of the way out.

Dan

My 2016 is the same way and made no difference after bleed either. I just got used to it because I heard (on this forum) that's the way the bike and hydrophilic clutches works.

My 2016 wing engages right off the handle bar. Oh and congratulations on the new 18

Last edited by a moderator:
Try adjusting all the way to #5...

...if you don't love it, ride for 500 - 1000 miles... and you will be 'used to it' now. YMMV

When I rode a '16 a while back I noticed the same thing. Clutch engagement is different, not wrong, just different. Give it a thousand miles and it'll be old hat!

Congrats on the new '18 and enjoy!

~G

Is the adjustment only from 1 to 3???
No, 1 to 5. I tried 1 to 3 and it didn't seem to make any difference at all.

I'll move it to 5 and give it a try.

As others noted, maybe it will just take some time for me to adjust to the new clutch engagement. I'll give it a go for a while and see what happens.

Thanks for all the input.

Rick

My'16 is the same way. I put Pazzo levers on and while more comfortable they don't change your release point. Ive just gotten used to it.