2020-12-17 CBX ride - North County central Kali back roads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
2020-12-16 CBX Ride
North County Backroads

Today was a totally fun ride! We rode roads 'backwards' to the flow we normally do. That, in addition to riding a 'new to me' bike, made the roads seem like brand new again.  

Starting mileage.

Meet up point, Atascadero Lake. All of Barrie's Boyz do a great job and social distancing due to Corona. I appreciate that they scolded me and Gary when we got less than 6 feet while looking at  FSM.

See the tire? Here's the backstory. At an earlier event, I mentioned tires and the Honda CBX..
Gary - "I gurantee you put the wrong size tire on that bike! I had to go all the way to San Jose to get the tire that was on the bike when I sold it you."
Don - "I'll bet you $100 the correct size tire is on that bike! When I got the bike, remember how vertical it sat when on the sidestand? Incorrect tire size, common, all over the CBX forums."

We shook hands on it, then the conversation dropped.

So today, Gary arrives with a non FSM and the OEM tire, sized 130/90/18. 

Gary proclaims "I'm here to collect my 50 bucks! Look, here's the manual, here's the size!"
Don - "Let's go to the bike and look."

Installed tire size is 130/90/18. Revenge is mine!

After talking it over, Gary came to the realization he had sold me the bike with incorrect tire size.

I let him off the $100 hook... :)

Gary and wife run a B&B, this is his truck complete with tax write-off advertising!

Fun old truck.

Chasing the fearless leader... the man, the myth, the legend, the Barrie!

Just east of Lake Naciamento turnoff.

Damn, I'm looking old in this picture... thanks for the pic, Barrie!

3 good looking bikes!

More CBX shots.

Because film is so cheap to develop these days... :)

Note to self, remove apparel from bike before taking pictures.

Just another December day on the central Kali coast.

Seriously, the CBX could use a 6th gear. First is a bit tall, what with light crank and reciprocating mass..

My first CBX - Shadow picture!

Abandoned bridge, on the way home.

x  

x  

x  

Good looking bike that runs great too.

Put max air pressure to rear shock (57 psig) and fork (10 psig). That in addition to removing the POS Corbin saddle, helped the ergo's tremendously. The pegs are still way high as compared to FJR's but at least it's tolerable now. Contacted Russell seats, they can make a R seat for about 600 dollars.

I never should have let him have that one back. It's one sweet ride.

There is a white one locally that I think has my name on the list.

I never should have let him have that one back. It's one sweet ride.

There is a white one locally that I think has my name on the list.
White is 1982. The last of the line. 79 and 80 have  highest collectible $$ and horsepower. Nekkid bikes. 

Later CBX's (81, 82) didn't sell, called 'School Boys Bikes' as Honda gave them to trade schools for tax write-off..

Check Hagerty.com for fair price evaluations before you buy Ray.

White is 1982. The last of the line. 79 and 80 have  highest collectible $$ and horsepower. Nekkid bikes. 

Later CBX's (81, 82) didn't sell, called 'School Boys Bikes' as Honda gave them to trade schools for tax write-off..

Check Hagerty.com for fair price evaluations before you buy Ray.
I don't intend to buy it, I'm gonna  steal it.😁

I have a friend who sold one to the guy that runs MotoFantasy down by LA Pine. He has since bought another one ,it's an early American build. Don's correct about the trade schools getting them, up at Western State they had two or three of them sitting up on a balcony I saw one time while getting to take a tour of their program.

I have a friend who sold one to the gut that runs MotoFantasy down by LA Pine. He has since bought another one ,it's an early American build. Don's correct about the trade schools getting them, up at Western State they had two or three of them sitting up on a balcony I saw one time while getting to take a tour of their program.
The one at MotoFantasy is the one I'm talking about. It just sits there doing nothing. Doug doesn't rent it out anymore cause it's to old for his insurance to cover. At least that's what he told me. He also has a KZ1300 that has been totally bastardized that will probably never run.

The one at MotoFantasy is the one I'm talking about. It just sits there doing nothing. Doug doesn't rent it out anymore cause it's to old for his insurance to cover. At least that's what he told me. He also has a KZ1300 that has been totally bastardized that will probably never run.
I should buy it for parts?

NO!!! you should not because it would end up here while waiting for transport and I would have to sterilize the shop again. :fuck:  
Is it a good bike from a mechanical perspective? As in switch gear parts and what not, spare engine parts?

Is it a good bike from a mechanical perspective? As in switch gear parts and what not, spare engine parts?
I'll check on it and see what Doug wants to do with it. I know at one time he intended to get it going as a semi custom bobber but I don't think it's been touched in a few years.