89 BMW K100RS - what do you know about these?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jbeebe31

Reaction score
Found this for sale local,

'89 BMW K100 RS SE. 1000cc inline 4, water cooled, triple disc ABS brakes, sport fairing, fuel injection. Bike has enough spares to almost complete second bike. Is partially disassembled (fairing is on, but lowers and tank, seat and tail are not. Clean Nevada rebuilt title in my name, took it apart for paint and have not been able to work on it anymore. Would be an easy project for anyone, the spares alone would pay for the bike if put on eBay. I really need the room. Extra wheels, calipers, computers, dash, seats, etc.

3pe3o53l9ZZZZZZZZZ94g57f30bf878ca1d78.jpg

(picture from the ad is probably not the actual bike)

He's asking $700.

I just finished the latest farkles on my FJR so I'm kinda looking for a project.

Do you know anything about these?

Would it be worth the time/effort?

Thanks for the input!

Found this for sale local,
'89 BMW K100 RS SE. 1000cc inline 4, water cooled, triple disc ABS brakes, sport fairing, fuel injection. Bike has enough spares to almost complete second bike. Is partially disassembled (fairing is on, but lowers and tank, seat and tail are not. Clean Nevada rebuilt title in my name, took it apart for paint and have not been able to work on it anymore. Would be an easy project for anyone, the spares alone would pay for the bike if put on eBay. I really need the room. Extra wheels, calipers, computers, dash, seats, etc.

3pe3o53l9ZZZZZZZZZ94g57f30bf878ca1d78.jpg

(picture from the ad is probably not the actual bike)

He's asking $700.

I just finished the latest farkles on my FJR so I'm kinda looking for a project.

Do you know anything about these?

Would it be worth the time/effort?

Thanks for the input!

If it runs it is worth it. I have put over 200,000 miles on two of these and never had an issue on the road. One was an 86 model (rolled over 90,000 on my Bun Burner Gold ride) and the other is a 91 4 valve model which my son is presently riding.

The one you are looking at is a two valve motor which I always thought was smoother, but less horsepower. Neither one is a horspower mega bike so that is not really an issue. This bike should have ABS1 on it. Had it on my 91 also, ruined a rear wheel sensor, striped off the ABS and put on ss brakelines and all is well. The bikes are reliable. I know a guy who has over 300K on his 91 and still rides it. These don't tend to have the rear drive failure issues of the later models.

If you get it, remove the rear drive, drive shaft, swingarm, pull the tranny, and grease them all up. While in there you should probably replace the rear main seal. They will eventually leak but it is an easy fix.

You can run tires that will actually get you 10k out of a set and if like mine, the gas mileage will kill your FJR mileage. Stock suspension is worthless. Fork springs and a rear replacement fixes that. BMW makes a lot of sccessories that tend to be plug and play so that is nice.

If the bike hasn't been abused they are pretty bulletproof. You may have to take some eletrical connectors apart and put some grease in them, but being in Nevada that may not be necessary.

The one really neat thing about the KRS is you do not meet yourself coming down the road. Even at a BMW rally! There just aren't very many of them. Some Beemer butheads will tell you they are a Jap beemer, but in my experiences, the K bikes are the best.

It will vibrate up until about 70 mph, but after that they are a real hoot from 75 to about 110 and will do it all day long.

When my son and I ride together I usually put 6 tenths of a gallon more in than he does but he does get to the pump about 25 feet or so behind me.

Very different from the FJR but good bikes nonetheless. Wish the FJR hand the same height handlebars as the KRS. That has been the thing I have had to get used to on the FJR most, but after 15 years on KRS's guess that is to be expected.

Buy it, if you don't let me know and I will get it for my daughter who is wanting to ride.

Have fun with it!

I owned a K100RT, which is the same bike with more bigger tupperware. It was a nice bike and trouble free. This was before BMW learned how to make their final drives burn up. The only negative for me was that the I4 brick engine of those days was a buzzy little beast. Much buzzier than the FJR. There are always workarounds for that. Plus, if you own an FJR you're unlikely to choose the K bike for your next BB Gold. Definitely worth the price if it will run.

Thanks guys!

Both are great replies and give me a lot of confidence to go on.

I'll be checking it out this weekend and will post what I decide.

Peace!

I had an '88 K100RS while I lived in New Zealand last year. I put a few thousand kilometers on it and only had to change the oil and rear tire. It was my first non-cruiser and the reason I have an FJR now.

I would buy one for $700.

Sam