A Date With A Pig (BBQ)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think that you said earlier, how many pounds was that picnic? I just put mine on 1/2 hour ago. Mine was 8 1/2 lbs before I removed about 1/2 pound of skin and fat layer. I'm hoping I can be done in 10 hours, but am prepared for longer. Maybe I'll just crutch it right away when it stalls, then uncover it when I get near finishing temp.
Fred the weight sticker was 8.99 lbs. Your question about that fat cap sparked a thought yesterday, and I peeled it as the meat hit 172 degrees, then sprinkled rub on the moist fatty exposed area. That turned out to be very tender and flavorful. At that point I did crutch the roast since it was stalled with the smoker at 250. After an hour the stall was over, and the results were great.

Man that looks awesome.....

I've done a few pork butts from costco, not the picnic and they turned out pretty good.......

Now you gave me an idea, and I have to give this a run..... appreciate you documenting the prep and que view.....

Just got off the phone with the local meat place and I'm going to pick up a couple.....

Congrats.....

PS..... I always save some pulled pork to the freezer and use it on other cooks......

Like my ABT's....

I am somewhat relieved after reading this thread. The title, "A Date With A Pig" had me worried my wife was cheating on me.
uhoh.gif

I love a good pork roast and the shoulder portion is my favorite. Even I have trouble messing up a Boston Butt roast. My personal smoker is not making me very happy so it has not seen much use lately but your story and pics are making me want to try it out again.

Thanks for sharing this one. Now I'm hungry.

Should pulled pork be soft and mushy?

This morning as my daughter packed her lunch with a delicious savory pulled pork sandwich, she commented "the BBQ places and trucks have pork that is in smaller softer pieces". She prefers this as she claims it is easier to eat.

To me, proper pulled pork is easily shredded (pulled), but still has texture and good "chew" quality. It should not be dry, nor dripping with over-zealous applications of sauce. My pulled pork is in defined strands of 1-3 inches in length and is not individual fibers but rather something you'd recognize as meat. The public however is accustomed to pork that has been held on steam tables and falls apart to the point the bread becomes the structure.

What say you BBQ aficionados y los Rosbutos? Should we have a poll?

The title, "A Date With A Pig" had me worried my wife was cheating on me.
uhoh.gif
Like! :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
Soft and must is not good. That has been over cooked/steamed like you said. Yuck!

I would think that the BBQ places have prepared a mass amount of product ahead of time, and they tend to refrigerate it as well as douse it in sauce for quicker service to the customer. That tends to lead to the pork losing its crust or density, and also make it mushy by absorbing the sauce.....

I think it comes down to personal pref as to how one likes their consistency.... personally I like fresh crusty flavorful pulled pork and add sauce on the fly..

Damm fine thread - Pavlov's Dog is a real thing.

If you put it all in front of me (all of it) and ask me to choose, I'll take the Pig first, and the salad second. Always been that way. Hell - I'll eat everything but the squeal!

Wifey can snoot her nose up all she wants, but I stand by my preference..

Last edited by a moderator: