A Date With A Pig (BBQ)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TomInPA

Reaction score
It all began yesterday when the wife was good enough to pick up a 9-lb pork shoulder. Nothing fancy, just a Walmart 1.49/lb Picnic Ham / Shoulder. As soon as I saw it, I knew we had a date. Now don't get me wrong. It's not much to look at right out of the package. A pork shoulder is a large heavy clod of meat with a thick skin and fat layer, and bone running up the center. The point is, this has potential.

2EF3EE54-69F6-4179-9AC8-BE2E8AE3F4D4.jpg

Just to treat it right, I gave it a good dusting of rub (Paprika, garlic, salt pepper, cayanne), and put it to bed in the fridge.

17E89E6C-FEC8-4648-8903-D14A16C550F0.jpg

This morning at about 8:00 AM we got re-acquainted. The pig needed some time to sit on the counter and look pretty while I started a fire in the Big Steel Keg. Our objective today is about a 9-hour smoke at 225 to 240 degrees F using Cherry as the smoke base, and oak lump charcoal. My setup uses a ceramic "plate-setter" as a heat deflector. For this cook, I placed the aluminum tray on the ceramic, and added some cider vinegar and water for moisture. Most important, I use a Maverick thermometer to monitor the meat and fire temperatures. It has a remote I can look at without standing over the smoker. You can see the smoker temperature thermocouple under the pig inserted into the air space above the foil pan. This gives me the grill temperature, and I can read the temperature off the dome on the BSK. Here we are at ambient 71 degree air temperature and 41 degrees for the meat interior at 8:30 ready to go.

5710C1DC-D527-43C1-A549-C4991B6F76D9.jpg

By 9:00 we hit 225 F on the smoker and I damped the air to hold it there. Smoking wood is soaking in a bucket under the grill and I keep fuel in small trash cans. So at this point, we're done other than to spray (mop) some vinegar and water mix on the meat occasionally and monitor temperature.

94F75029-A882-4D8D-A590-BEBB77663AEF.jpg

That gives me time to go the the brewery and pick up a keg. This is nice coffee infused IPA that is 48 IBU and 6.5% ABV. A sessionable ale.

65BE746C-0A6D-4C72-9E62-C2DB42057785.jpg

Now to fertilize the lawn and take a dip in the pool....be back later.

Tom!! You are the man... in so many ways.

(I've never heard a 6.5% ABV called a "session" beer.
uhoh.gif
)

You are about 24 hours ahead of me on my pork shoulder. Mine's in the fridge right now with the dry brine. Tomorrow is it's day to shine.

I see you opted not to trim the skin. Any particular reason for that? Will you be running the cook on the hot side? I've heard that it doesn't make much difference to the meat in the end, except that the skin side of the clod will be like a Basenji (no bark). Some folks like to make cracklins afterwards, but I'm not into that too much.

Looking forward to seeing the final results, if you aren't so hammered to know how to operate the camera.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I left the skin side on and it does protect part of the meat from forming bark. It peels off in one piece. Since this is for pulling, excess bark is not too important. I've done it both ways, and this is easy.

I took the FJR to the farm market and got tomatoes, jalapenos, corn, beans and onion. When I got back, it was time to start the sauce. Now, I like some heat in my sauce, and so this has some sauteed onion, garlic, jalapeno, paprika, mustard, mustard seed, vinegar and fresh tomatoes. That is hot and lacks the sweetness people expect, so I dump in a commercial sauce like Jack Danials to offset the heat a bit. It's a bit of a cheat, but it works, and you haven't ever had it anywhere else. Sometimes I'll use Siracha sauce for heat, but not needed today with fresh jalapeno in play.

B04F6C2D-640F-4289-857C-FBF8BD42649D.jpg

I'm currently stuck at 172 degrees and it hasn't changed for about an hour.

805C0DE3-4515-43D0-8A6A-87538777946E.jpg

Sauce looks great.

Beer looks like it is past done though...

(you need a beer shelf or assistant to "hold mah beer").
wink.png

Oh thank goodness. I'll sleep better tonight (but not as good as you with a few of those "session beers").
wink.png

PS - Do not let your spousal unit know, but a man that knows how to cook great fud is no longer a hostage to the estrogen enhanced.

:thumbsup:

Foil your pork for last hour or two.

It will get moisture back into it and your temperature will rise to 190-195F.

I am taking the easy way out and going to the little red smokehouse in Carver MA this weekend. If I have time, Its possible I may clean up the brinkman which has been under cover for a while. I hope I don't find any critters living inside.

Yikes,

Dave

Dave, remember the bats are endangered now.

I had to crutch to finish. We're there after 10 hours, but wow, I got stuck longer than usual. Just putting some ears of corn on, and should have some finishing pics soon.

Looking good...and it was. One set with mild KC style sauce, and the other with "set your mouth on fire" jalapeno sauce.

27B14410-23D6-4592-A87B-586EE66958FF.jpg

Oh my goodness! The bone comes right out!

80F2927E-FF11-4502-9CC9-3392F2A669FB.jpg

Hey Steve! Plenty to go around. Just let me know you're coming. I packed two large containers with the shredded pork and haven't quite finished off that keg yet.

I don't think that you said earlier, how many pounds was that picnic? I just put mine on 1/2 hour ago. Mine was 8 1/2 lbs before I removed about 1/2 pound of skin and fat layer. I'm hoping I can be done in 10 hours, but am prepared for longer. Maybe I'll just crutch it right away when it stalls, then uncover it when I get near finishing temp.

@Fred, he said 9lbs.

@Tom, why didn't you bring us one of these at SEOR a couple months ago? It looks delicious! Enjoy

You know, it wouldn't be hard to bring this to the next SEOR. It's a really inexpensive way to feed a lot of people.

@Allen, You're buying the beer?