A Friday Ride Gone Bad

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used these guys to straighten a wheel on my BMW. Quick turn around, perfect repair and a fraction of the cost of a new wheel. Just an option.

https://www.framestra...me%20Repair.htm
+1 for these guys.

Go to their website and click on the "extreme repairs" they have done. They explain their process on some of the repairs. You'll see they have done some amazing repairs on just about anything you can imagine, including rims for top fuel dragsters.

Not sure how confident I would be riding on a rim, with my sacred ass aboard, that had been deformed then 'pushed back into position again.'

I'm not a metallurgist and really have no clue...

Honestly, though, I'd be replacing it, even if just for piece of mind.
Metallurgically Speaking, The Bend being returned back to it's Original Shape HAS "Cold Worked" it a bit. Therefore NOT as Strong as New in that Spot.

But, the Difference in Strength would be Minor. Especially with how Thick that Wall is in that area. I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Just try and not have the same exact same impact happen in the exact same spot on that Wheel. You'll be Just Fine! :)

Well that sucks! At least your Givi didn't fly off too
tongue.gif

I had a friend damage all four Z06 wheels. They came back perfect.

+1 on repair over replacement.

Last edited by a moderator:
I used these guys to straighten a wheel on my BMW. Quick turn around, perfect repair and a fraction of the cost of a new wheel. Just an option.

https://www.framestraightsystem.com/Motorcycle%20Wheel%20and%20Frame%20Repair.htm

Interesting.

Not sure how confident I would be riding on a rim, with my sacred ass aboard, that had been deformed then 'pushed back into position again.'

I'm not a metallurgist and really have no clue...

Honestly, though, I'd be replacing it, even if just for piece of mind.

My .0000000001 worth.
I certainly understand, if you're not comfortable with a repair you should replace it. I just counted on the shops experience figuring that it would not be in their best interest if their repair failed and if they any doubt that they wouldn't be willing to fix it. That said, my rim wasn't dinged as bad as yours. Mine was basically a flat spot about 3 inches long. It still held air but the area where the bead was seated was very small.

Mine cost $35 to ship and the repair was $135 so I got it fixed for just over $200 total. The wheel functioned and looked perfect and a new wheel from BMW was about $800 so I was pretty happy and wouldn't hesitate to use these guys again.

Glad you managed to ride out the incident without going down. I'm sure it was quite a moment.

Thanks guys the Frame Strait looks like the place. They sure have done some extreme wheel work and TRI is phenomenal. I will send it off as soon as I talk to them.

That said, got it off the bike today. What a PITA! First could not get it on the center stand until I ran the front up on some bricks! Just no way without compensating for that tire height and of course not much roll action there. I got her up there and got the wheel off though.

Spent a lot of time with the calipers and pistons and they appreciated getting cleaned. Still surprised how dirty the pistons can become. I use wood spacers and work them so I get all pistons all the way out on each side so I can clean them the full length. I then cleaned all that lower area and spray waxed the inside fork area and such. Since I had to back it into my Bike Shelter off the flat bed using the winch, had to remove the Givi to close the Bike Shelter up after the bike got on the center stand.

Used the propane torch on the 12 rotor bolts and they came out with little fuss. I tried one for grins, cold, needless to say I used the torch on all 12 as it started to strip the first ones head. It looks like Blue, but man they are very tight, heat would be the only way to go at it as said over and over on this forum.

I still need to go after the ABS magnet plate screws on the left side and may need to add those to the order.

Looking at it today in light and with lower blood pressure, there is a distinct crack up to the spoke running as long as the bend in the rim and around the rim for the bends length. Will have no idea until I take the tire off if it is paint or metal. If it is stressed or cracked on the inside it will go to scrap without a doubt. Yes I see the welds done in the link, but that is not me at all.

So this is where the wait begins. Not a bad deal to do, just wish the parts were here, and they were free, I would be riding tomorrow.

Looking at it today in light and with lower blood pressure, there is a distinct crack up to the spoke running as long as the bend in the rim and around the rim for the bends length. Will have no idea until I take the tire off if it is paint or metal. If it is stressed or cracked on the inside it will go to scrap without a doubt. Yes I see the welds done in the link, but that is not me at all.
DING DING DING DING!!!!! "CRACK"?! Ok LAF, If you see a CRACK, This Conversation has just come to an END!! The Rim is Now a Real Pretty Paper Weight.

There is Nothing that can be done on a Crack that Size on a Rim. That is the Kiss of Death! Go Ahead and get yourself a New Rim! End of Statement! :eek:

Glad you're okay. Do you have need of a garage, or is it too late for that? I'm kinda far away, but you and your FJR are welcome. Perhaps someone closer can offer up?

For the typical slight deformations and dings I can see getting a rim straightened...but NOT for that damage. nuh-uh! :blink:

New aluminum wheel for me, thank-you. No question.

WOW...I can't believe all that deformation at the stiffest part of the wheel-right at the spoke! WOW.

Just glad you weren't injured in that incident. :clapping:

It may be too late, but have you considered making a claim on your insurance for the wheel? That may soften the blow of wheel replacement somewhat.

Good Luck, either way.

PS - Dan... When are you going to tell us what you did to your poor bike?

For the typical slight deformations and dings I can see getting a rim straightened...but NOT for that damage. nuh-uh! :blink:

New aluminum wheel for me, thank-you. No question.

WOW...I can't believe all that deformation at the stiffest part of the wheel-right at the spoke! WOW.

Just glad you weren't injured in that incident. :clapping:
Yes what I said too. The bike only has 7000 miles and I have a long summer trip coming up.

And I guess I am fussy on wheels and tires and brakes.

Like I said it was a pretty good hit and in my mind I could not avoid it without getting into a car in the on coming lane.

It was a bit spooky but life is good.

Well that sucks! At least your Givi didn't fly off too
tongue.gif

I had a friend damage all four Z06 wheels. They came back perfect.

+1 on repair over replacement.
Yes the Givi is still there. Well I had to unpin it to bring it into the house, but it is the first time off since I put it on :p

Guess I will be calling my agent in the morning see if I can still rave about Progressive after that call.

It may be too late, but have you considered making a claim on your insurance for the wheel? That may soften the blow of wheel replacement somewhat.

Good Luck, either way.

Yes, first call in the AM.

Thanks for the Luck, but I am finding all it takes is money ;)

Fred,

Nothing romantic or exotic. Hit a pretty good pothole, coming around a curve on NH 149. Knocked the front out of runout spec and put about a three inch dent in the rear and knocked it out of round.

Dan

Glad you're okay. Do you have need of a garage, or is it too late for that? I'm kinda far away, but you and your FJR are welcome. Perhaps someone closer can offer up?
Thank you so much for the offer!!! I am ok, I was spoiled with a carport and a 48" lift for the last 11 years. Now a Cycle Shell, which is very nice, but no carport for sure.

Most of the work is inside now once parts arrive.

Again Thank You for the kind offer.

Fred,

Nothing romantic or exotic. Hit a pretty good pothole, coming around a curve on NH 149. Knocked the front out of runout spec and put about a three inch dent in the rear and knocked it out of round.

Dan

Ouch. :blink: Glad that it wasn't any more dramatic, and also that the wheels were salvageable.

Yeah, I love Rte 149 up through Deering, but it is in major need of repavement. Better suited to the V-strom than the FJR right now. And whenever they do get a round to resurfacing it, it'll probably only be good for a year or two at best as the underlying roadbed was probably laid out back in colonial days. ;)

Sorry to LAF for the thread hijack.

WOW ! Good on ya for coming out alive and well !!! That musta been some good hit brother ! I'm like you... wheels, brakes, steering...these things are important and best addressed when new and i'd replace that wheel fo sho ! But man, great riding prowess and grace under pressure...but yer avatar still scares me !

Blessings,

Bobby

That damage to the OP's wheel is a joke to the guys that fix rims, I'd repair that in a heartbeat for $150.
I guess this is where you take the fork in the road to the left, and I head to the fork on the right. If you're comfortable with that...I'm happy for you and would wish you well.

Since I'm not the trusting kind, and know just enough of metals to be dangerous I would not...and would spend the money for a new wheel. It would take a full day treatise from a doctorate in mettallurgy on how this could be repaired fully to convince me that that sort of rupture in the aluminum wheel could be made right. But that's just me.

Either way, I'm glad the OP made out without serious injury.

I'd think Progressive would handle that as a zero fault comprehensive claim and payout for the entire claim, minus your deductible. You shouldn't take a hit on your future premiums, either.

Curious to see how that goes.