"A Story Worth Living"

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What went wrong? Why did this totally miss the mark on a motorcycle adventure?

...it is because they made the adventure secondary to their primary agenda, which was to look into one's self, face the demons of one's past, and come to an understanding of why they are, who they are.
Because Hipsters.

I don't know about you guys, but when you are on the bike - YOU ARE ON THE BIKE and no where else. No phones. No nagging. No psycho-babble. You are one with the machine and free from the usual stresses. That's the WHOLE POINT of being on the bike. Freedom.

They missed the mark because the purity and simplicity of riding wasn't in focus.
Unless of course one has mounted 2 gps's, a phone, a tablet, XM radio receiver & a radar detector and tied it all together with the all-encompassing comm system. Let's not forget the ham radio. Or the espresso and popcorn machines. The foot massager is standard equipment from Mammy Yammy.....

Viewing tip: Get the movie on DVD, then get your riding friends together and everybody drink whenever the word "Story" is said. Make sure no one drives home because no one will be in any condition to be driving. :D
Yep, even you you gave them all O'Douls to drink, they'd all be passed out drunk in the first 10 minutes!

I was pissed that I would miss it since I scheduled myself to teach an Experienced Rider Class to the Fargo Harley Owners Group. It ended up being for the better after watching the movie trailer and hearing reports from others. Glad I missed it. The HOG group ERC went fantastic! I love seeing experienced riders challenge themselves to improve their riding skills.

Just copied my review there.

Also, just emailed Twisted Throttle. Told them to NEVER send me self-promoting film information to me again.

This movie makes Long Way Around look like the X-Games.
I know you looked like you felt guilty for getting us out there to see it Brad, but it was good to see you - the highlight of that evening was that I got to see you and Deb, and Rog, and Gary and Cindy.

Although, in retrospect, we should have just gone to dinner at Casa Ramos - had pitchers full of Margaritas, and told our own tall tales - I guarantee there would have been no weepy, new-agey whining, and self-flagellation at that dinner conversation!

Last edited by a moderator:
Catching some of the rave reviews of the movie today...wow.

This movie was going to be measured against the Charlie Borman / Ewan McGregor "Long Way Round / Down" projects. This project was not a motorcycle movie at all. It was a project exploring what it means to this group of individuals to "live life". To overcome fear, adversity, etc. I caught that it was not going to be a Colorado version of Long Way Round almost immediately, and adjusted my expectation.

The marketing was way off base, and BMW, Klim, and Sena are probably going to take a lot of heat about endorsing the project. It lured so many to the theater assuming we were going to see something that simply was not there.

Here's what I took away - Savor every minute and mile I am allowed to spend on two wheels, and in life. I've had my "near the end" experience, overcame the fear of riding (mostly) and am in my opinion a better and more appreciative person today because of that experience. And in the end, I will have my story, it's going to be an adventure, there will be challenges and adversity to overcome, and it's going to be awesome!

Yes, as if getting my money back for that disaster is worth giving away my name and home address, so they can sell that information to sponsors and advertisers.

No thanks, I suppose.

If it was worse than, "Long Whine Down/'Round" then it must have been truly awful.

I saw the official apology that was published.
mega_shok.gif
puke.gif

It will redefine your opinion of a bad movie.

Personally, I enjoyed LWR, LWD not as much. If Ewan would get some time away from acting, him and Charley want to go from Barrow, AK to southernmost tip of SA. I'll watch it.

Sure are a bunch of insensitive male chauvinistic pigs in this pen! JSNS

JSNS and
fuck.gif

Hugs n' Kisses

tx for the heads-up, I'll go ride.

Hey I am with Carver - I will go ride too. I noticed a few rookie mistakes in the trailer. Like the fellow who crashed riding on the downhill side of the road - the surface predictably got soft and he fell down and went boom. Oh the drama. There are was the scene where the guy as taking a GS800 in places it should really go unless your really really good rider. Hell any fool on a xyz 250 would have aced little hill no problem. Ya don't need a big bore GS to go on back roads as they quickly become a liability. And then the guy throwin' his hands up a the cow - just ride round the cow - lordy.

Thanks for movie review so I can save my $$$.

Isn't that kind of ride what most of us do on any given weekend? Without all the soul searching, drama and yapping? It make me laugh that dipshits that don't know how to operate motorcycles want to use motorcycles to preach to the rest of us. Puke!

It will redefine your opinion of a bad movie.
Personally, I enjoyed LWR, LWD not as much. If Ewan would get some time away from acting, him and Charley want to go from Barrow, AK to southernmost tip of SA. I'll watch it.
I have little interest in rich boys with everything donated to them bitching about "hardships" with a camera crew, medical crew, and fixers surrounding them.

I really liked, "Riding Solo To The Top Of The World". He did everything. Ride over to the camera location, set up, ride back beyond where he wanted the shot to pick up, ride past, ride back and tear down the camera gear, pack up, and ride along until there was something else that looked interesting. And at no time did he mention all that. All he did was take us along on an interesting ride where he met interesting people.

Hell, bring back more "Feasting on Asphalt". I'd watch me some of that. How can you beat laying on the ground and pretending to have a seizure that only the secret recipe (of the food he was raving about) could cure.

Found it! 11:38 in on this clip:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPER4XytHiI

So. I actually thought it was an OK movie, but only because I knew nothing about it till the day of..

THEN I started reading the reviews, and seeing the ads by BMW and stuff...

I get it.. A bunch of religous "dudes", decided that they were so inspired by Charley and Ewan, that they would get on bikes with barely any experience, and call it a life altering experience. Ehh... ok.

At least, none of them died.. congrats on that.

They do seem like genuinely nice people. and the effeminate bearded guy's girlfriend was beautiful. (a feel good story)

They did get out and do 1000 miles in 8 days.. (My son and I laughed loudly when they first said that.)

And.... there are couple of good shots from the drone.. Colorado is one of the greatest places to ride on this planet.

Also, they survived (did I mention that?)

And there was a screwdriver being used in a garage. (awe-some...)

And an awesomely funny tip- over in the wild when one guy's pannier clipped another's.

Lots of Twisted throttle accessories.. And they didn't mention losing a rubber tip on their x-grips.

And they're making some money.. (but giving refunds now to those of us that felt cheated.. I might let them keep my money cause I am feeling bad for them)

(come to think of it, I am a little worried about them. I am not sure they can handle the criticism coming their way)