A vendor in the USA has been compromised !

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queensland Ken

Reaction score
I received a SMS from my bank while on the bike this morning.

As usual another bank scam ...... not !!!

Rang card services directly and apparently a vendor in the USA has been compromised.

I use a few vendors in the USA, the bank didn't tell me who was hacked.

Worst part was that I was lucky to get home, no fuel, no card, no money. Lesson learned.

Mastercard services informed the bank, don't know if it effects other cards ?

You would think that companies in this age wouldn't keep your details on a computer that's "online"

I'll be asking the very question prior to my next purchase.

No damage done on my side.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, technically, the server that holds your card data won't be "Online" if they are compliant with PCI. However, they still have to be connected to the server that you are accessing but will be firewalled in between. There's no way for you to enter your info into a web page and have that go to another server without them being connected somehow. However, depending on a lot of factors, there's still ways to compromise that data if they aren't careful or using a hosting company that takes care of that kind of stuff.

The Home Depot thing a couple years ago nearly got a guy at a restaurant punched in the face. It was a order, then pay, then get your food place. We were with a group and m6 daughter and I ordered food. Then the cashier started screwing with my card. Her manager finally showed up and told me my card was denied. I pulled my account up on my phone and confirmed there was plenty of money, so told him to try again. Then he told me he was confiscating my card and started to put it in his pocket. I told him he was nuts and my ID matched the card, and if he tried to take it, I was going to fight him for it. He relented and gave it back, and I paid with another card.

I called our bank the next morning who told me my card was compromised in the Home Depot hacking, so they canceled it and sent a new one. I went out to my mail box, and sure enough, a new card had been there for a day or two. Wish they would have called me before they did that though. I was pissed at the Saggios guy, and it wasn't his fault. Haha...

Watch your stuff. The methods these losers come up with to steal shit is amazing.

Did he call the CC company before trying to take your card?

I had one once where a customer's authorization attempt came up telling us to call the credit card company. I called in and was told to confiscate the card. The customer threatened to call the police on me so I was kind enough to radio to our off duty officer to come over. He wasn't happy but ultimately understood that the card is actually property of the bank and if we didn't comply with the banking and credit card rules that it could put our company in jeopardy with being able to handle CC transactions in the future.

If he didn't have instructions from the bank to confiscate it though, that's completely wrong.

I deal with a few well known online shops over your side of the Pacific.

Be interesting to know if any fellow forum members have had a problem, try and work out which shop.

I've had 2 Mastercards hacked on my last 2 bike trips. Both times, accounts were closed immediately after contacting me to verify purchases. Learned my lesson a long time ago and always carry more than one credit card. Citibank says it happens a lot at the gas pump (card readers, I guess, are not uncommon).

Had to deal with that BS before, so now I always carry enough cash to get back home, just in case.

Long ago, i worked in the CC fraud divison of a wire transfer company. The relative lack if global connectivity at the time meant mkst fraud was localized rather than whole databases being hacked. For years, the number one places for fraud were car rental agencies and hotels. These days you may never find out who stole your info.

I was about to buy a 2005 FJR that was listed on Yahoo classifieds. The bike was listed like it was in Tucson AZ and had nice pictures showing the bike in front of the owners house. The price was good but not unreal and the Yahoo page was complete with a link to the Yahoo escrow company that holds your money until you pick up the item. I was flying down to Ontario, California ,for school and would catch a short flight to Tucson and drive back my new bike.

When it came time to transfer the money to the escrow company, the seller said the had problems with the Yahoo escorw company and would only use Capitol One Escrow. He sent me a link to the Capital One Escrow page and that is when I got a little concerned.

I had just finished a college course in Web Research and completed a project verifying the origin of web pages. When I checked out the Yahoo listing it was ligitimate, but the picture of the motorcycle was infront of a shingled house on a hill in the redwoods. When I checked the address of the bike it was a dessert home with cactus and rocks, no trees or hills. I sent a few more messages to the bike owner and he was now, " in Hospital" and could not be available to look at the bike this week. A few more email conversations and his spelling and grammer started to fail, as if English was not his first language. I had remembered that here in the states we use the phrase "in the hospital" or "at the hospital" and that "in hospital" was a European term.

I did research on the Capital one web page and found it to hosted on a Russian server, all of the page links lead to Capitol One in Irvine California. EXCEPT the link to transfer the money. When you hovered over the Button to transfer funds it showed the routing number for an account at Martis Bank in France. Even more research showed that this bank was suspected to have accounts for people arrested for Terrorism.

It all looked so real, but was part of a criminal organization in another country, I wonder how many people sent $5000 to the escrow company and never got a motorcycle or saw their money again.

Would your credit card protect you from this and you would only be responsible for the first $50 and they would be on the hook for the loss? I can see why credit card companies would grab your card if compromised. They can lose thousands of dollars in seconds and maybe lose you as a customer for putting you in an embarassing situation when they cut up your card in front of your friends. I think if they would explain the process and reasons why, we would be grateful for them protecting our credit rating and our bank accounts.

Please take an active roll in protecting yourself, learn more about how to identify credit fraud before you use your card or sign your name. Call your credit card company and let them know where your will be traveling, I have had my card denied because I bought gas in one state and then filled up with the same card one thousand miles away 20 hours later. I now take a card for gas purchases and let my bank know it will be used in certain states during the next week. Communication works great if it is a two way street between you and your credit company.

Last edited by a moderator:
My bank card has been compromised 3 times in the past 2 years. Luckily, I have other cards to fall back on. My bank has always informed me when anything wonky has shown up on my account, and I've not had to pay for anything, even when some of the charges were my fault. Small inconvenience, but, It's just the price one has to deal with these days.

Also, one thing I never do now is to let a website store my credit card for future use. I'd rather be inconvenienced at having to enter the card again than to leave it there. Case in point, we've now had both mine and my wife's account on walmart.com compromised and had folks attempt to order items site to store. I'm not sure what's going on in Walmart's IT department but we both had strong passwords on our account. Looking online there's been quite a few hacked accounts at Walmart. My wife's is the most recent and we are currently waiting on her new card to arrive.

Funny thing though, when mine was hacked, they were having a computer sent site to store to the Walmart we used to shop at years ago when we lived in Ohio. Walmart did handle all of this for us and even cut off the orders on my wife's account before we even knew it happened. I've now convinced her to not let them store her card for future purchases.

Received MasterCard fraud alert last month, they cancelled/mailed new cards right away.

New card number was frauded before I could call to activate it!

Funny why I still travel with a strangely large amount of CASH..... Rarely is it ever shut down for reasons of fraud... weird...

I use CC's all the time, shop online alot and for these reasons - almost always within a years time, call my credit card company and tell them I lost my card, even when have it in my hand. They shut that card down and send me a new one.... I never have issues with my CC's.

All good advice from others above though....

Gas pump compromise is way more common than you'd think. It's happened at 3 or 4 stations here, although the LEOs haven't said which stations. That tells me it wasn't the stations that did it and there was no reason to put their businesses at risk.