A very specific PR2 question, hey tires ARE parts.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supertankerm60a3

Reaction score
I love the Michelin PR2 tires. I plan on buying another set as soon as I burn through the take-offs that I currently have on. HOWEVER... I just saw that our size comes in 2 types. There is the standard 180/55ZR1 and now there is the 180/55ZR1B. The B is designed for fully loaded two up sport touring. So the question is...

Has anyone paid the extra 40.00 for the ZR1B and do they last any longer than the regular ZR1?

I did not find any additional longevity from the 'B' model, nor has my friend with the Strada 'B' spec. Neither of us ride two-up. Being a heavier tire it would theoretically have less 'feel' and make the suspension work harder, but I couldn't tell.

For what is is worth...

I have only used the "B" spec and have been pleased with the performance. I bought the "B" since, me riding solo coulod be considered up to the capacity of "two-up".

So actually riding two-up could be pushing it.

mr.paul, from Minnesota

I started on the regular PR2 and have ridden solo to loaded 2-up for camping and have gotten outstanding mileage. I will be mounting my third set this spring. I can't justify spending any extra for the B spec. The only difference is a couple extra cords for added stability under load.

I have the B on but will go to the Non B next time, I know AuburnFJR runs the non B and he rides 2 up with a trailer with no problem.

This topic has been coverd ad naseum. Do what floats your boat. Just know that you will NOT get any additional life out of the 'B' spec rear. If you do a LOT of two-up riding then you may want to consider it. People have had success with either rear.

I have always run the nonB loaded up for trips...and I probably should have used the B, but just haven't. I believe they have the same weight and speed rating, so it is not a tire safety issue per se.

However, it is a stiffer sidewall, so sporting action in the tight twisties would get a better sidewall response, less sidewall deflection, in the tight curves fully loaded.

I suppose it's kinda like how I like how the stiffer Roadsmart tire feels in the twisties compared to the PR2. I bet it would have that same effect...B over nonB.

So tire safety...not an issue, but handling performance in the twisties probably feels better on a B spec if fully loaded with the stiffer sidewall.

As Ahchiu said, I ride two up 95% of the time, tow a trailer most of the time and seek as many twisty roads as I can find. I always get the "A" spec tire. I get at least 6500 miles out of a set of tires and I am not easy on them.

I would not waste the extra $ on the "B" spec. I'm on my 4th or 5th set of them now and have been very happy. I do run them at 42 front and 42 rear always.

Check out my tires for wear today and noticed a nail in the rear tire. I will check the tire pressure tonight to see if there is any loss. The best price on PR2 that I can find right now is $299.54 with free shipping. I am getting down to the wear bars and mounted them last spring. I have over 14K on the front and about 12K on the rear at this time. Staying with the PR2 for now. The PR3's are much more denaro.

Dave

Thanks for all the info. Those are good answers. Clearly, the 'B' is not needed for my one up commute with the occasional hywy 58 tear riding. Too bad they didn't just make the tread deeper.

08FJR4ME, here the PR2 goes for 153.66 plus tax.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out my tires for wear today and noticed a nail in the rear tire. I will check the tire pressure tonight to see if there is any loss. The best price on PR2 that I can find right now is $299.54 with free shipping. I am getting down to the wear bars and mounted them last spring. I have over 14K on the front and about 12K on the rear at this time. Staying with the PR2 for now. The PR3's are much more denaro.

Dave
https://www.compacc.com/p/Michelin-Pilot-Road-2-Dual-Compound-Tires-Z-Rated-Package-Specials

$258.98 shipped and you get $8 off your next order. $289 shipped for he B spec combo.