ABS Warning Light

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planet89

Reaction score
Hello All

Looking for a little insight. Just replaced both tires on my 08. I took them off myself after confirming the removal steps on FJRtech and then took them into the dealer for replacement. Just got finished putting both back on without any issues. Lightly greased the bearings and shafts before reinstalling. I decided to start the bike up and run it through the gears while on the centre stand. As soon as I passed 10mph the ABS warning light started to flash. I slowed the rear wheel below 10 and the light went out. Ran it up over several more times and the same thing happened. Decided to shut it off and check the rear abs sensor, removed it and cleaned it, reinstalled. Disconnected the neg battery terminal, waited a few minutes, then put it all back together. Started the bike, ran it up over 10 mph and then the abs warning light started to flash again. I made sure to line up the datum marks on the rear abs hub and the brake caliper bracket when reinstalling rear wheel. I have confirmed all parts are alligned and installed properly but I can't figure out why the warning light keeps coming on.

Any help would be appreciated

Thilly boy!

It's coming on because your rear wheel is spinning and your front is not! You can't do that! ABS computer compares rotation speeds of front and rear wheels to make sure everything is as it should be.

Go for a ride where both wheels are spinning *presto*! All will be good again.

You owe me a dollar. :D

I don't know that much about the FJR yet as I've owned one less than a month now, but I would think that the ABS light coming on is normal. You have one wheel spinning and one stopped, not a common state.

Have you done this before and the light never came on?

I would imagine any ABS bike on the planet would show the same fault. One wheel spinning, one not.

Thanks guys

I will try taking it for a ride tomorrow, it is supposed to warm up to -5 or so.
It might be warmer to lift the bike off the ground, drop her into first gear, then manually rotate the front tire with a bowling alley shoe buffer, synchronized to rear wheel speed, to see if the light goes out?
Just kidding -

have a great ride, even at temps I can't understand..

:p

Well, we hit a whopping 1 degree celcius today so I took the FJR for a scoot. Low and behold, no more warning light. I swear I have had this bike up on the centre stand running it through the gears in the past and never noticed this condition.

Anyway, thanks again for the explanations and taking the worry away.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last night after 30 minutes or so practicing low speed maneuvers, mostly using the rear brake, my ABS light started flashing on my 2010. I thought it might reset itself after cooling but it did not. This morning I took a ride and discovered my windshield did not respond, nor did I have horns. When I got home I realized I had no neutral indicator. My riding partner called later to tell me he noticed my brake light was always on. Oh, and another thing, my glove box fails to open. Cripes. I slackened the rear stop switch some but to no effect. I also peered in to the fuse boxes but could not see anything failed, maybe I have to pull each individually? My signals and flashers work fine. What next?

There is a recall on the 2011 front brake light switch. Is it possible if you have a late 2010 that might have the same switch? Try unplugging your front brake light switch and see if the brake lights go out. If they do not, unplug the rear switch and see if the brake lights go out. That is a quick way to see if you have any defective switches.

Since this thread was started 8 months ago and the Original Poster hasn't been back I would guess that his problem was resolved.

The info about the front brake switch is helpful for the Collective, but it is probably no longer relevant to the thread starter.

[/Zombie Thread]

Last night after 30 minutes or so practicing low speed maneuvers, mostly using the rear brake, my ABS light started flashing on my 2010. I thought it might reset itself after cooling but it did not. This morning I took a ride and discovered my windshield did not respond, nor did I have horns. When I got home I realized I had no neutral indicator. My riding partner called later to tell me he noticed my brake light was always on. Oh, and another thing, my glove box fails to open. Cripes. I slackened the rear stop switch some but to no effect. I also peered in to the fuse boxes but could not see anything failed, maybe I have to pull each individually? My signals and flashers work fine. What next?

Check your fuses - don't know which ones for the Gen I. You can't always tell by looking. Pull and check with an ohm meter.I'm sure someone will be by to tell you where to look.

Sounds like two problems:

• Brake light on and ABS flashing = binding rear brake lever,
  • Windshield, horns, neutral light inoperative = signalling systems fuse

All fuses checked out, the brake pedal is not binding, and I was not able to easily disconnect the switch(s) so I left them well enough alone. Broke an anvil once. Still under the miserable 1 year warranty so I'll take it to the dealer I have come to favor. Spoke to the service manager today briefly, I could hear the spider in his mind.

Thanks for all the input, I'll keep you informed.

Turned out to be the horn harness grounding on the frame somewhere. My selling dealer installed Magnum Blasters along with FJRandy's setup and botched the job. They had the fairing off to replace the meter, seemed like all the room they had at the time they could have done it right. No longer surprised by their incompetence. Cost me a few bucks to fix it, but worth it to find a good service department.

Thanks guys

I will try taking it for a ride tomorrow, it is supposed to warm up to -5 or so.
It might be warmer to lift the bike off the ground, drop her into first gear, then manually rotate the front tire with a bowling alley shoe buffer, synchronized to rear wheel speed, to see if the light goes out?
Just kidding -

have a great ride, even at temps I can't understand..

:p
You'd think by now someone would have rigged up a treadmill-like apparatus so that we could ride (in a straight line, anyway) without actually hitting the street. The treadmill would ensure that the front wheel turns at the same speed as the rear wheel. I wonder if I could find anything over on the redneck rapair site, There I Fixed It.

:)