Advice on where to buy Z6 tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjsC6

Reaction score
I got the mother of all nails in my tire yesterday. I wish I had taken a picture of it. I was in the middle of freeken nowhere with two friends, running some backroads pretty hard when I noticed it getting a little squirly. I pulled over (remember, middle of nowhere!!!) and found about and inch and a half of a big nail sticking out of it. Grabbed it with pliers, and we were all in awe of how long I was pulling it out. Let me just say that it had to be six inches long!!! (okay, probably 3 & 1/2).

We plugged it on the side of the road - twice (that's another story). I road another 150 miles okay. But the hole is so big that the plug is actually leaking a little. Sooo, I want to replace it.

It's the factory tire on my '06, and I don't want to replace both the front and back, and don't want to mix and match. So I need to find the factory rated Z6. It's a type "C" (whatever that means).

Any advice on where to order and who stocks with this designation?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you have front end shake with the Z6? My AE came with Z6's and I had front end shake. I've changed to bridgstones and it has been much better. As far as fixing flat tires I have had good luck using cement screws, they have a very aggresive thread, I coat them with rubber cement and screw them into the puncture. I've pulled a nail, ran the screw in and only lost 10# of pressure. I've used the same screw twice and have ran this type of repair over 200 miles without any problem, you might want to give this a try. RIDE SAFE

Did you have front end shake with the Z6? My AE came with Z6's and I had front end shake. I've changed to bridgstones and it has been much better. As far as fixing flat tires I have had good luck using cement screws, they have a very aggresive thread, I coat them with rubber cement and screw them into the puncture. I've pulled a nail, ran the screw in and only lost 10# of pressure. I've used the same screw twice and have ran this type of repair over 200 miles without any problem, you might want to give this a try. RIDE SAFE
Hey Thanks for that tip...clever.

Ron

I've never had any shake on mine. I have the bike over 150mph several times, (160 indicated twice) and it tracks great. I really have been happy with the Z6s.

I've never heard of using a screw. That's definitely a new one on me!

Thanks for the reponse.

I got the mother of all nails in my tire yesterday. I wish I had taken a picture of it. I was in the middle of freeken nowhere with two friends, running some backroads pretty hard when I noticed it getting a little squirly. I pulled over (remember, middle of nowhere!!!) and found about and inch and a half of a big nail sticking out of it. Grabbed it with pliers, and we were all in awe of how long I was pulling it out. Let me just say that it had to be six inches long!!! (okay, probably 3 & 1/2).
We plugged it on the side of the road - twice (that's another story). I road another 150 miles okay. But the hole is so big that the plug is actually leaking a little. Sooo, I want to replace it.

It's the factory tire on my '06, and I don't want to replace both the front and back, and don't want to mix and match. So I need to find the factory rated Z6. It's a type "C" (whatever that means).

Thanks.
I have had very good luck with Blaine at Southwest Moto Tires in Tucson....

www.swmototires.com

Ron

Try FJRGoodies.com, Southwes Mototires, American Moto Tires, and Gary McCoy at University Motors.

Moving this thread to Parts and Accessories.........

Thanks.
I was riding to meet a friend for lunch on Saturday and my bike started wobbling REAL BAD about 11 miles East of LLano off of HWY 29. The back tire had picked up a very large screw and the tire was going flat quick.

Called a tow truck with the KOA roadside assistance and they towed me to Woods Fun Center in Austin and they put a Z6 on (I was really impressed with Woods Fun Center - they even washed my bike).

Best regards,

Shane

As far as fixing flat tires I have had good luck using cement screws, they have a very aggresive thread, I coat them with rubber cement and screw them into the puncture. I've pulled a nail, ran the screw in and only lost 10# of pressure. I've used the same screw twice and have ran this type of repair over 200 miles without any problem, you might want to give this a try. RIDE SAFE
YIKES!! Personally, I would never recommend repairing a hole in a tire with a metal object.

If you are going to plug a tire, you really should use a rope type plug. They will vulcanize to the rubber in the tire, and you can get them for about $5 at any auto repair store.

If you plan on riding the tire till it is all used up, I would reccomend pulling it off the rim and mounting a T patch on it from the inside. Normally rope plugs are used as a "get me home" type repair, tho I must admit I have used them for several thousand miles with no problems.

I have some photo galleries of tire repairs here if you want to see them.

https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tireplug

https://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/tpatch

So far SWMoto has been good to me. Just ordered my first set of Z6's for my '05. i guess I'll see if mine separate and kill me, or else I'll like them?

MAW is THE SLOWEST racket in town. 3 weeks to get a tire they had in stock. And it shipped from NY to VA.

I called and asked if they had it in stock (I was leaving for a trip and picked up a roofing nail the week before) They said they had 11 of them and that they would ship from NY. While the actual shipping only takes 3 days, the time to process my order and charge my card is 2 weeks. I was told it had shipped 3 different days by 3 different people. F those effers.

I've never had any shake on mine. I have the bike over 150mph several times, (160 indicated twice) and it tracks great. I really have been happy with the Z6s.

I've never heard of using a screw. That's definitely a new one on me!

Thanks for the reponse.
i had hi speed braking weave with my BTs on my 05 plus cupping on the front. Super brace helped with that.

Had no problems on the AE but put a brace on anyway.

I found the Avons will wiggle at slow speed if you take your hands off the bars. (I know not advisable) The Z6s do not.

Pirelli Stradas seem to be the same as the Z6s (sorry i keep repeating myself in various threads).

personally i like the Z6s they have 3 grand on them now and don't seem to be wearing as fast as any of the other tires i have used on the FJRs. they stick well but have not had them work hard in the wet yet.

I almost bought from MAW until they tried to slap an $8 handling fee, as the very last step to confirm my order. Felt like a slimmy business practice, so I ran away.

I emailed my dealer and asked him to match or come close, if I had him do the mounting too. No reply.

FJRGoodies is competive and is part of our community.

But I asked about shipping cost from Cali to my zip, while on their web site. No reply.

If your on the West coast FJRGoodies might be a no brainer. (Avons = $219 + shipping)

SWMoto is competive if you figure $18-20 worth of shipping is included in their price.

But last time, they lost track of my order until I called looking, 2 weeks later.

Ride Now seems just plan uncompetitive on tires.

They seem competitive on a lot of stuff, but Avons is definitely not one of them.

Man, it is a lot of work buying tires!

And the winner is:

I guess the order goes to SWMoto. Even though they dropped the ball last time, at least they picked it back up. The main reason for picking SWMoto is, I know the "out the door price" before I order, and it seems competive.

Total to my door cost for a set of Avon 45/46STs = $240.90

I have a whole month before the EOM. ;)

Hopefully I have saved someone else some time. Just followup with SWMoto if you don't see it ship withing a couple days. :glare:

I checked Cycle Gear, SW Moto, MAW, Arizona Motor Sports and Chaparral. TMD, Chaparral was $20.00 less and shipped the day I ordered (last Saturday).

I shop each time. Seems like tires are a commodities market kinda thing.

I bought my last set of Avons from Tire Express. They were with in $1 B) of SWMOTO even though they charge $20 shipping, and they came in 2 days. SWMOTO has been good too.

I'm sitting here with a little tear in my eye reading all you helpful people giving advise on where to buy a Z6 tire.

And only ONE smart-ass response. You people make me so proud! (sniff)

I'm sitting here with a little tear in my eye reading all you helpful people giving advise on where to buy a Z6 tire.And only ONE smart-ass response. You people make me so proud! (sniff)
I am a bit disappointed, myself.