Aerostich Balaclava

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wear a cotton Balaclava similar to the one in this link. It does an incredibly good job of keeping me warm; the effectiveness was totally unexpected. I've been wearing it to work for several weeks now when the mornings have been low 20's to mid 30's. It does contribute to helmet hair :lol: I dunno how silk is for wind protection but the cotton is just amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wore one while in England. Stunning performance, really unexpected. Probably gave me an additional 10-15 degrees of lower temperature in comfort. Don't think it was a 'Stitch, but I think they're pretty similar

I've not used silk, but the $15 balaklava at the local sporting goods shop worked really well. You lose more heat through your head than other body parts. Big bang for the buck, IMHO.

I used to wear a balaclava but found it contributed to my visor fogging up. I think it diffuses the warm air coming out of my mouth and nose too much.

I now wear a fleece neck gaiter but the top of my head still gets cold.

I read about the possitive comments on the silk glove liners, I saw this item in the Aerostich catalogand wondered if this wouldn't be great for sun/wind/sweat... Like to know if anyone has tried one?

click https://www.aerostich.com/silk-balaclava.html
I've got a similar balaclava and it works great in the cold weather. You ask if it would be good for "sun/wind/sweat..." and your from West Palm FLA. I don't think this would be beneficial in the warmer weather.

For sun/wind/sweat I got my wife one of these:

Clickable pic:

There are a lot of riders that like these liners, it is just a matter of function over form ;) Do not confuse the material -- silk with the name Slicks.

Her liner just happened to arrive on the Sat just before Easter Sunday. She took it out for a trial run on Easter Day, ever since it has been known as her Easter Bonnet.

I read about the possitive comments on the silk glove liners, I saw this item in the Aerostich catalogand wondered if this wouldn't be great for sun/wind/sweat... Like to know if anyone has tried one?

I've got a similar balaclava and it works great in the cold weather. You ask if it would be good for "sun/wind/sweat..." and your from West Palm FLA. I don't think this would be beneficial in the warmer weather.
I am trying to ready myself for my 48plus ride next May. I found my nose is getting too much sun... Other options?

I have a fleece balaclava that I wear when it gets cold and it make a huge difference espcially on my neck. Makes the helmet fit a bit tighter, but not unbearable.

I am trying to ready myself for my 48plus ride next May. I found my nose is getting too much sun... Other options?
Sunscreen?? That seems too easy, have you got some reason why you don't like sunscreen?

Sunscreen has always worked well for me and i need it. Once with my shirt off I was described as extremely Caucasian. I get it in stick form comes in a tube like a big chap-stick.

]

Sunscreen?? That seems too easy, have you got some reason why you don't like sunscreen?

Sunscreen has always worked well for me and i need it. Once with my shirt off I was described as extremely Caucasian. I get it in stick form comes in a tube like a big chap-stick.

oils, balms,stick... Under the helmet? Just thought the balaclava would be great all-around. Helmet liner/

warmth/wicking/ ect.

oils, balms,stick... Under the helmet?

If you're getting nose suncreen on your helmet liner you have the helmet on wrong. :D

or are you talking about smells? I have some suncreeen that doesn't smell much when wet and not at all when it dries. Can't remember what brand it is, maybe bath and body works? It was a boutique girly store, defintely not Coppertone. Look for a sunscreen/lotion special for sensitive skin.

googling 'no smell sunscreen' came back with a ton of user reviews.

I have a fleece balaclava that I wear when it gets cold and it make a huge difference espcially on my neck. Makes the helmet fit a bit tighter, but not unbearable.
Can you provide a vendor/model and/or a link?

Speaking of which...

I was looking for something last year and ended up getting an UnderArmour head gear, which is extremely effective. It is cut where you could wear it around the face, or pull it up to resemble the balaclava. Paid $18.00 for it, I think.

Thing is with any under armour gear (have the long sleeve shirt cold gear also) it better be cold...

I have the basic Aerostitch balaclava and it works well. Not too thick, not too thin = not too hot, not too cold. Durability seems ok. My favorite side benefit is that it does a great job keeping my earphones in place and not gradually falling out of my ears! :thumbsup:

I have the Aerostich shelaclava. It is basically a fleece tube that can be warn as a neck snuggie, over the mouth and nose or like a balaclava. I read some feedback somewhere ont he silk being very tight for the "larger" noggins thereby being uncomfortable. I have been wearing the shelaclava just up over my chin and buckle the helmut over it. I breaks all the wind coming up the chin piece. Superior comfort.

I have a polypropalene balaclava I found in the sporting goods section of Wal-mart for about 5 bucks.

Works well keeping my neck warm too. But I do use a wool scarf around the neck also when the temps are below 40. For the most part my head is the last thing that seems to get cold.

KM