Aerostich Competitor?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rev It stuff is very nice - and VERY pricey. If I were in the market for a new riding suit (and I'm not because I just one a free jacket/pants/gloves/helmet at a RTE last weekend - )

I would wait for the new First Gear stuff due in September. I have seen the prototype drawings and it looks impressive. They are listening to riders and they have taken a great deal of input and incorporated it into the new design.

AND - it looks good too (at least on paper). I think you will like it. It is a very modular concept - shell - liner - etc. using the latest materials and design. I think it will be worth the wait.

I hope to have a new one - just before the come out to the public to test for them.

I ave a Stich that I bought back in 99. Its cobalt blue with grey armour panels. Today I called because the pull fell off one of the zippers. Thought would have to purchase one of the repiar kits but the girl said they would send it out right away. Free! Great customer service on a garment I bought 8 years ago. I don't know of anyone else who backs up a product like that. Many manufacturers wouldn't have any parts, let alone for something that old. The others don't offer repairs or upgrades either. The Stich, in my mind, is still the best overall. Don't just look at the intial prce.

Are there any pictures of the Firstgear suit anywhere? I did a google search, but didn't find anything that I thought was what was being talked about here.

Last edited by a moderator:
My mesh / tex pants are made by Rev'it and are very well made. CE armour in the knees, removable rain liner that packs extremely small. The mesh is a tight weave that breathes easily, as compared to a Joe Rocket that has huge mesh pattern IMHO. I'm sure this suit will be great also, they just need to bring the cost down some to be compete with the Hazmat suits, I mean Aerostich suits ! :lol:

I was looking though posts on the Sport-Touring forum, and found on on this suit. Looks pretty nice, and is supposed to be more water resistant than the Aerostich. Anybody own one, or even seen one in real life? Not cheap, that is for sure, but once you have made the jump to the money for an Aerostich, how much further are you willing to go?
https://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/rev-it/infinity/
Check this one out for about 1/2 the money and sporty looking too :yahoo:

https://www.olympiamotosports.com/phantom/Phantom.htm
Sure it looks sporty on the tall dark and handsome Marlboro man in cool shades and a full head of hair. But on one of us fat, bald middle aged men without the muscles it will be another story.

Baggie rules!

Are there any pictures of the Firstgear suit anywhere? I did a google search, but didn't find anything that I thought was what was being talked about here.
only pictures I know of were drawn and in the hands of the Tucker Rocky representative. Take my word for it -- they look good -

you'll see them in September, unless I get a set before hand and tease you with some pictures.

I was looking though posts on the Sport-Touring forum, and found on on this suit. Looks pretty nice, and is supposed to be more water resistant than the Aerostich. Anybody own one, or even seen one in real life? Not cheap, that is for sure, but once you have made the jump to the money for an Aerostich, how much further are you willing to go?
https://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/rev-it/infinity/
Check this one out for about 1/2 the money and sporty looking too :yahoo:

https://www.olympiamotosports.com/phantom/Phantom.htm
Sure it looks sporty on the tall dark and handsome Marlboro man in cool shades and a full head of hair. But on one of us fat, bald middle aged men without the muscles it will be another story.

Baggie rules!
Ah you must be refering to the new Glad butterball. Only comes in black but for those extra large folks the lawn & leaf size seems to do the trick :D :blum:

how about some competition to get the price down ?
+1. I don't understand why a nylon suit costs over $1000, or even 800 for the stich. If I'm spending my money, I'm getting leather for that $$$. I know it won't have anywhere near the weather protection, but I would spend the extra $ to buy a rain suit. I think leather would protect you better in a crash. Just my $.02, I may be wrong.

the Hazmat suits, I mean Aerostich suits ! :lol:
LOL
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the FieldSheer one-piece. Here it is on a LD rider out of Vegas.

P1010061.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
how about some competition to get the price down ?
+1. I don't understand why a nylon suit costs over $1000, or even 800 for the stich. If I'm spending my money, I'm getting leather for that $$$. I know it won't have anywhere near the weather protection, but I would spend the extra $ to buy a rain suit. I think leather would protect you better in a crash. Just my $.02, I may be wrong.
for many of us i'm guessing, it's not about the weather protection---it's about the ability to throw it on over your work clothes, whether those are t-shirt, one-piece mechanic overall, or shirt and tie, ride, take it off, and you're done. sure it has nearly as good protection as motorcycle-grade leather (notice i said motorcycle-grade, not a leather jacket you'd buy at jcpenneys) and will provide better protection in wet weather, but unless i'm going to a track, i don't consider leather one-pieces in the equation.

I'm going to drive down to one of the local Olympia retailers on Tuesday and see if I like the Phantom, see if it fits me.

May I humbly recommend some related reading on all these suits:
My detailed review and comparison of the my Oly Phantom vs. my old 1 Pc 'Stich here

Another thread with more here

FWIW, the Rev'It suit looks to be a really nice piece of gear. It's just not worth that much more to me especially given how much I love the Phantom.

The Olympia is interesting, but no full lenght zippers would be a killer for me. I wear my work clothes under my Stich, so the suit has to be EXTREMELY quick and easy to get in and out of.
This was my biggest concern. Turned out to be a non-issue for me. The Phantom's certainly not on/off in 10 sec. but it can be done in 30 sec. and that's a fair tradeoff for no more soggy crotch.
After reading your reviews of the Phantom, I decided to give it a try. Ordered from MotoLiberty and got it promptly. It's a little long in the legs in order to fit my torso. If that becomes an issue I'll take it to a local tailor. Worn it once with the liner at about 40 degrees and I was plenty warm. Rode with it tonight without liner, but raining pretty good. Held up really well. No wetness and very comfortable. Getting quicker in & out too :) Thanks for the info.

Jim

Their model only wishes he looked as good in it :D