Aftermarket Brake Rotors

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Be sure to get new mount screws, too. They're locktighted in at the factory and can be a bitch to get out without damage.

I have galfer floating wave rotors on my two sets of rims. Used a big big hammer to get the bolts out. Good luck!

Thanks for the feedback folks. I have a bunch of old bolts, cleaned and painted.

Fred, if you can find Name Brand for that money please forward the info.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator:
I know it would be more money. I’m not as stupid as I look. Spend $150 on questionable crap or a little more for a known quantity. Or just leave the perfectly good rotors you already have on the bike. That’s what it comes down to.

Heat is your friend on the removal of those screws.
Indeed it is! Best thing I found is a butane soldering iron. The basic Weller kit comes with two different flame tips so you can control where the heat is directed. Even so, the screws can be a pain, and I've never had a warm-n-fuzzy feeling about re-using heat cycled screws. For the minimal cost I just replace them.

https://www.amazon.com/Weller-P2KC-Professional-Self-igniting-Soldering/dp/B000WOHSHM/ref=sr_1_2?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1549288290&sr=1-2&keywords=weller+butane

I have a set of OEM front disks with 55190 miles on them, still in very good shape and a rear disk with 64809 miles on it in the same condition. $100.00 for all three, plus shipping. Price negotiable.

Just a little tid bit and also a chance to admit how stupid this kid from Nova Scotia can be.

I'm into day three on my trip to Alaska and was completely pissed off that I spent the money to buy a new rim, bearings, seals, spacer and a fancy set of aftermarket wave rotors.

The front brakes were scary bad, felt like the worst warped disc I have ever drives with. All I could think about was spending 5 weeks with no front brakes.

So, after supper in Kenora the smarter folks that I'm traveling with noticed that the rotors were not even. So I removed the bolts, turned one rotor one stud clockwise and voila. Perfect.

Moral of the story, the rotors must be lined up the same.

Life is good once again.

Canadian FJR

Last edited by a moderator: