aftermarkets seats

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had mine for 3 years now and still love it. I was very unhappy with the stock seat. A 300 mile day was torture by the end. With the RMC saddle, 300 is a breeze. The biggest test is the second day after a long first day.

I've been very happy. I opted for the leather based on others experiences. It breaks in better to your body and since its leather, it breathes. It does require a little more care than vinyl- periodic cleaning, etc. I also cover it if it will be left in the sun all day or if rain is expected. I think its worth the effort to protect the $500 investment.

Here it is:

IMG_2369.jpg

Many will say that the Russell or Bill Mayers is the only way to go, but you asked about the Rick Mayers. I'd buy another without hesitation.

Anyone know anything about Rick Mayers seats

I have a Rick Mayer and a Bill Mayer. I personally like the Bill Mayer better however it was custom made right on prem specifically for my wife and I.

The Rick Mayer is 100x better than stock and thats pretty good considering it was not custom made for me. I picked it up used to try it out.

I have a Rick Mayer and love it. Had a Bill Mayer on my Connie before the FJR and loved that too.

Rick is the brother of Rocky, who now runs dad Bill's old shop. Bill also designed the original Russell and sold that business to Russell. There's a reason all three saddles are similar. The biggest difference is Russell uses springs to support the wings while Rick and Rocky use foam.

One advantage to Rick's shop is that he has FJR seat pans in stock. So, instead of sending him your saddle, you can send a deposit check and then ship your stock seat when the new arrives. No down time that way.

Anyone know anything about Rick Mayers seats
We have 2 of Rick's seats; one for my '07 FJR and one for my wife's VStar 1300. We're close enough that we did a Saturday "ride-in" for both seats. We both did leather skins. Mine fit like a glove right front the start. We sent my wife's back to have it "twiked". I have about 2800 miles on mine with 2 450 mile days back to back. And even after the second day, we behind feels better at the end of the day that when I got on in the morning.

I bought the Bill Mayer and love it! I bought it for front and rear with the heat option and at 10k feet with snow I had to turn down the heat to the lowest heat setting. What a treat!

I've got about 44K miles and 3 years on my basket-weave vinyl Rick Mayer seat. I am still happy, but the first signs of wear are just beginning to appear. Did a 600 mile day, had a day off, then did back-to-back 500 mile days last week and had no monkey-butt.

For other opinions, search in the vendors subforum - couple people there have complaints about Rick's business practices (I had ZERO problems).

Always best if you can do a ride in build as I did, but I'm sure he'll do you right.
Unfortnately, that is not the case all too frequently. :(

I would recommend AGAINST getting a Rick Mayer seat. While there are many satisfied customers, there have been many (including me) who were not satisfied. Check the vendor feedback section of the forum for some people who have had absolute nightmares dealing with Rick Mayer.

Rick is a hell of a nice guy, but after two attempts - the first being a ride-in appointment, and the second sending it back for re-do, the seat still did not meet my expectations. So, after the advice from others here on the forum (Thanks NUT! :friends: ), I bought another seat from Rick's brother Bill Mayer, and that seat was PERFECTION!!!

Just off top of my head, I know forum members Smitty and vectervp1 had similar bad experiences. They both ended up buying a Russel.

Last edited by a moderator: