Air Wings Cancelled

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What Squeezer said.

Tom

Here's a link to the air wings I used (color was light smoke). I think you can use model number H18HW or H15HW. They come with mounting hardware but I only used the washers, then I bought two stainless allen-head 1/4 x 3/4" bolts and locknuts from Home Depot. Garauld's brackets use existing hardware for mounting.
https://tinyurl.com/2oefto
Dumb question....where did you get the Garauld bracket? Be gentle....I'm new to Goldwings.

Tom

Last edited by a moderator:
If you happy with the Garauld mount I can see about a short initial run of the FJR mirror contoured wings that will mount the wing at the bottom and have the wing follow the mirror stalk. Any takers??? If so I hope Garauld has enough mounts in stock.

I just called Baker Air Wings to order a set. I already have HID brackets. I needs more information to place order.

Question-

MNFJR05, The prototype with mirror brackets looks like HAND WINGS MODEL with angled cut off. Is it?

Kilroy, GL15 wing is 6"x8" with mounting holes top and bottom. GL18 wing is 6"x8" with mounting holes bottom and aprox 2" from top.

GL15 UPPER wing is 6"x4.5" with no AIR WING logo etched in. Also HAND WING is free of company logo.

So, did you cut to size a 15 or 18 wing? or is an UPPER or HANDWING what is used in pictures?

It's hot in FL. now and I need this. Thanks

I believe the ones I used were Baker Hand Wings for the GL1500, Part #H15HW, Lt Smoke. These have the angle cut on them.

1500%20HW%20Web.JPG

They are indeed GL1800 HandWings. I have a similiar model I worked on with Bruce that is slightly larger and follows the FJRs stock mirror contour along the top. We can have them made with the mount in the bottom of the wing for the Garauld mount and run with it. It would be the perfect fit for the stock mirrors.

radman, MNFJR05 Thanks for reply. I have FZ1 mirrors and you lose some clearance, likewise HID set hangs from brackets due to FZ1 mirrors. I like the angled upper, Looks like a Fin and I really didn't want it to say air wings. MNFJR05, I see what you mean- correct set-up will have angled end at top. If this works with FZ1 mirrors I want a set. We need this. It's going to get hot soon.

List member Garauld makes them for the FJR. Here's a link to his original post where he offered brackets and lights as a package deal. I just bought the brackets.
https://tinyurl.com/35rqxf
I finally figured that out and have the "check in the mail" for the brackets and have ordered the Wings from Baker Built. It's amazing what you can do when you get your BRAIN to work. Thanks for the help.

Tom

I just called Baker Air Wings to order a set. I already have HID brackets. I needs more information to place order.Question-

MNFJR05, The prototype with mirror brackets looks like HAND WINGS MODEL with angled cut off. Is it?

Kilroy, GL15 wing is 6"x8" with mounting holes top and bottom. GL18 wing is 6"x8" with mounting holes bottom and aprox 2" from top.

GL15 UPPER wing is 6"x4.5" with no AIR WING logo etched in. Also HAND WING is free of company logo.

So, did you cut to size a 15 or 18 wing? or is an UPPER or HANDWING what is used in pictures?

It's hot in FL. now and I need this. Thanks
I just double checked, and mine are the GL18 handwings, no cutting done.

List member Garauld makes them for the FJR. Here's a link to his original post where he offered brackets and lights as a package deal. I just bought the brackets.
https://tinyurl.com/35rqxf
Kilroy,

Mine are on the way and I already have the Baker Built Wings. I hope I got the right ones. I got the Hand Wings for a GL1500. Anything else I should know before I mount them?

Tom

I ordered a set of GL1800 hand wings and a set of G-Mounts. Sherrie, at BakerBuilt, called me to ask if I wanted to wait 2-3 weeks for the FJR specific hand wings. Then, before I could respond, Mr. Baker left a message on my answering machine asking me to call him abt my order. I called Mr. Baker this morning and he said the FJR specific hand wings are available and asked if I wanted them or the GL1800 hand wings. I changed my order to the FJR specific hand wings.

I just wanted to let you guys know that the FJR specific wings are, apparently, now available. When I get them in, I'll shoot a piccie or two and post them here.

EDIT: This may/may not be the most appropriate thread to post this in since there are several threads abt this same subject. So, if one of the ADMIN types wants to move this to a more appropriate thread, pls do so.

I ordered a set of GL1800 hand wings and a set of G-Mounts. Sherrie, at BakerBuilt, called me to ask if I wanted to wait 2-3 weeks for the FJR specific hand wings. Then, before I could respond, Mr. Baker left a message on my answering machine asking me to call him abt my order. I called Mr. Baker this morning and he said the FJR specific hand wings are available and asked if I wanted them or the GL1800 hand wings. I changed my order to the FJR specific hand wings.
I just wanted to let you guys know that the FJR specific wings are, apparently, now available. When I get them in, I'll shoot a piccie or two and post them here.
I'm surprised MNFJR05 hasn't posted up the pics of the FJR wing installed on ol' Frank to check fit etc. In lieu of said pics, a couple Caveats.

The FJR wing, as it sits now, is a little too tall, won't clear the mirror stalk of the standard FJR mirror when you try to turn it in for max airflow across the tank and into the rider. This mounted where I have it-on the very tip of the G mount. John, as I was led to believe, has yet to submit the final design for production Those of you considering the G mount setup should be advised that, though there is a hole in the mount for a light installation, it will not work as the mount for the wing. The hole is too large, and it's too far in-a problem both for clearance and for getting good airflow across the tank sides and onto the rider.

FWIW, I have been in touch with Bruce Baker, the maker of the Air Wings. He plans to make copies of my mounting brackets for use with his wings. I just don't have the time to make these as I am trying to keep up with rack orders. Until he gets up to production shortly, I can supply the brackets undrilled (as I have already done) and/or even longer if needed to better position the wings. I just need to know what you want... :rolleyes: Send me a PM if you want them....

My FJR specific hand wings arrived today. The invoice says "Item - FJR13HWB." The invoice description is "YAMAHA FJR 1300 HAND WINGS."

I'll post some more piccies when the G-Brackets arrive and I can mate them up.

Question will be...Do they fit w/ FZ-1 mirrors? I'll know soon. Stay tuned.

FJR13HWB.jpg

Sure...just when I got the GL1500 hand wings they come out with ones for the FJR. Of well....I'll make mine work somehow. Glad to see that Baker Built is doing "wings" for our FJR's.

Tom