Airhawk Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monty

Reaction score
I looked on the Airhawk website and also did a search but can't find the thickness of these seats. I can flatfoot in the lower seat position and fear the seat would have me on tip toes. What is the actual thickness? Thanks in advance for replies. :huh:

I looked on the Airhawk website and also did a search but can't find the thickness of these seats. I can flatfoot in the lower seat position and fear the seat would have me on tip toes. What is the actual thickness? Thanks in advance for replies. :huh:
Check out this video, seen it the other day. Sounds to me that if you have much more than a half inch it's too much. He say you should have a thin layer of air between you and the seat.

The seat height will be a fraction of an inch above your current seat. If it's more than that, it's overinflated.

BTW, I've had good luck with mine on long trips (600+ mile days).

I've used an AirHawk on my Wing(s) for many years - great comfort for long days (for me) of 800+ km (500 miles). It only takes a little air - if it's over-inflated then it isn't nearly as comfortable. I haven't used the AirHawk on my FJR yet (only had it for two months, most of which has been lousy weather), out of concern about stability when stopped. I don't think of myself as vertically challenged - my legs do go all the way to the ground - but I am barely comfortable when stopped with the stock seat. Good luck with yours!

Hi Monty,

It's worth it's weight in gold on long rides with the stock seat but it will be a little disconcerting when you first try it. I'm 5' 8" and when I use it on my stocker it raises me just above completely flat footed - my heels are lifted up slightly - no biggie though. That being said, you only put enough air in it to move you up about 1/4" from the seat. In other words, the bladder will look flat going into the seat but it works great. If you're an aggressive rider the feel of the bladder shifting in a corner might bother you, but on the longer rides with soft sweepers and straightaways and especially cruising on the interstate for miles you'll appreciate it. Or you can upgrade to a Russell and your golden... Good luck!

The seat height will be a fraction of an inch above your current seat. If it's more than that, it's overinflated.

BTW, I've had good luck with mine on long trips (600+ mile days).

+1 on AirHawk.... A critical comfort feature for any 200+ mile days....

Even the best aftermarket seats cannot compare...IMHO of course... I have owned Sargent, Corbin, and Mustang seats on other bikes... They don't touch the AirHawk

Ok so I have a question for all the Airhawk users. I just got a medium size airhawk 2 to try on my Yamaha comfort gel seat. like many of you I have tried some of the after market seats. I haven't tried any of the custom made seats but I have had some discomfort on all these other seats including the stock seat. I would really consider the Russels day long seat but with my 28" inseam I really worry about getting a foot on the ground and the price is pretty steep. So this brings me to my question. Sitting on the airhawk does have a funny floating sensation. Which I guess can be a strange feeling on a motorcycle. So you long time users do you get use to the Airhawk over time?

Ok so I have a question for all the Airhawk users. I just got a medium size airhawk 2 to try on my Yamaha comfort gel seat. like many of you I have tried some of the after market seats. I haven't tried any of the custom made seats but I have had some discomfort on all these other seats including the stock seat. I would really consider the Russels day long seat but with my 28" inseam I really worry about getting a foot on the ground and the price is pretty steep. So this brings me to my question. Sitting on the airhawk does have a funny floating sensation. Which I guess can be a strange feeling on a motorcycle. So you long time users do you get use to the Airhawk over time?
As stated before, if you overinflate it you will get the sensation of moving around on the pad. It should be inflated just enough to allow the air to move between the pockets. At that proper inflation it will greatly resuce the sensation of moving around yet still keep you firm in the seat and only raise you up a fraction. I have heard from others that have had it overinflated that they feel like they were falling off the bike in the turns.

Like Bob mentioned, proper inflation is the key here. Properly inflated, the Airhawk looks deflated...if you press your palm into the middle of the Airhawk, your hand should go flat to the seat. The trick is to give yourself just enough air to hold your cheeks about 1/4" off the seat....if you rock side to side, you should still feel the air moving from chamber to chamber. Any more than that and it'll feel uncomfortable and unsteady (like you're going to roll off the seat). Once you have that proper inflation, you'll feel just as steady as riding on a normal seat. I use my Airhawk full time in the twisties and everywhere else without trouble. It's somewhat tricky to find that sweet spot, but once you have it, it's butter.

Tip - Direct, sustained sunlight on Airhawk will temporarily inflate it (e.g. stopping for lunch)...it takes a few minutes to get back to normal once you resume riding.

Like Bob mentioned, proper inflation is the key here. Properly inflated, the Airhawk looks deflated...if you press your palm into the middle of the Airhawk, your hand should go flat to the seat. The trick is to give yourself just enough air to hold your cheeks about 1/4" off the seat....if you rock side to side, you should still feel the air moving from chamber to chamber. Any more than that and it'll feel uncomfortable and unsteady (like you're going to roll off the seat). Once you have that proper inflation, you'll feel just as steady as riding on a normal seat. I use my Airhawk full time in the twisties and everywhere else without trouble. It's somewhat tricky to find that sweet spot, but once you have it, it's butter.

Tip - Direct, sustained sunlight on Airhawk will temporarily inflate it (e.g. stopping for lunch)...it takes a few minutes to get back to normal once you resume riding.
+1 on what these guys say. Proper inflation is the key. For example I just did a 706 mile one day trip last week. Even though I've used the airhawk a lot for the last two years, I had it underinflated for about the first 2/3 of that trip, with a sore butt the result. As soon as I got it inflated to the proper pressure everything was fine. Some guys remove the airhawk when aggressively riding the twisties. I don't, and if it's inflated properly, it's not an issue. I also don't use it unless I'm riding over 300 miles/day. I have a Sargent seat.

Even the best aftermarket seats cannot compare...IMHO of course... I have owned Sargent, Corbin, and Mustang seats on other bikes... They don't touch the AirHawk
none of those you listed are considered "the best". all are bargain options for those willing to spend too much money on trying to avoid buying a Russell.

+1 Just buy a Russell and get it over with. You will save money in the long run.

That being said, I have been known to toss both the beads (on HOT days) and the Air Hawk on top of the Russell from time to time. Although I don't think I've tossed it on the Russell, but have on the factory and Sargent seat I used to have.

While folks are saying it's a fraction of an inch, it's a good half inch. If you're on tip-toes in the upper position I'd say with the air hawk in the low position would be in-between.

But it can take a bit to get used to cause it's kinda 'squishy', which can make you feel a bit uneasy at stops at first, but you get used to it.

YYMV

none of those you listed are considered "the best". all are bargain options for those willing to spend too much money on trying to avoid buying a Russell.
Russell, RUSSELL, RUSSELL, RUSSELL....

One concern I have is the Airhawk seat just appears to sit on the main seat without being attached in any way.

When I ride long distances, I will sometimes stand up off the seat for a few seconds to stretch.

Seems like the Airhawk could blow off in the wind.

Last edited by a moderator:
One concern I have is the Airhawk seat just appears to sit on the main seat without being attached in any way.

When I ride long distances, I will sometimes stand up off the seat for a few seconds to stretch.

It has straps at all 4 "corners".

And yes, to all the Russell diehards, we know, lol. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

It has straps at all 4 "corners".

And yes, to all the Russell diehards, we know, lol. ;)
Thanks.

It made sense it would have straps, I just didn't see that it did.

We mention it because we've been there. $50 for this, $100 for that, $200 for something else. When all was said and done, going to a Russell out of the gate would have netted better results AND saved money.