Allstates Repulsive Ad Campaign

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slab Pig

Reaction score
I sent this email to Allstate today.

I wanted to drop you a note to tell you that I feel that your new motorcycle insurance ad campaign is in extremely bad taste. Your ad execs must not ride. If they do, I believe that they have really miscalculated the effect that the scenes of crashing motorcycles will have on prospective moto-insurance buyers. Your ads are in very bad taste.

All riders know the risks of riding. It is an unspoken subject. You are breaking that code.

I hope I speak for many others riders when I tell you that I will NEVER consider Allstate for ANY insurance, let alone motorcycle insurance.

It is my sincere hope that this ad campaign backfires on you. Big time.

This one?

Allstate Ad

I'd add another point in that they'll probably decrease the number of customers as there will be plenty of spouses that are "on the fence" about their SO purchasing a bike, watch this and put the kaibosh on it. Then it becomes a PR nightmare for the want to be owner. Very poor taste IMHO. FWIW, I'd say we get a bunch of constructive comments (don't flame them to the point of Ad nauseam), send them a link to this thread and let them know their PR group is out of touch with reality.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boy, I don't know... :unsure:

If you're referring to Allstate's "Bikes Never Crash Alone" ad?, I found it quite creative and realistic. As a (sadly) repeated crasher, I found some the scenes eerily familiar.

In their Rider Handbook, the MSF dedicates 4 pages to Risk Awareness, Risk Acceptance, and Risk Management including the concepts: "the Ladder of Risk" and "the Crash Chain". Crashing is reality (not to say it can't be reduced...) and Allstate's ad is certainly a 'reality check', IMO.

I sent this email to Allstate today....I feel that your new motorcycle insurance ad campaign is in extremely bad taste.

...Your ads are in very bad taste.

All riders know the risks of riding. It is an unspoken subject. You are breaking that code.
I'm not so sure that all riders know the risks of riding? :unsure:

And, what's so bad about talking about them...? :huh:

What code...? :blink:

Boy, I don't know... :unsure: If you're referring to Allstate's "Bikes Never Crash Alone" ad?, I found it quite creative and realistic. As a (sadly) repeated crasher, I found some the scenes eerily familiar.

In their Rider Handbook, the MSF dedicates 4 pages to Risk Awareness, Risk Acceptance, and Risk Management including the concepts: "the Ladder of Risk" and "the Crash Chain". Crashing is reality (not to say it can't be reduced...) and Allstate's ad is certainly a 'reality check', IMO.

I sent this email to Allstate today....I feel that your new motorcycle insurance ad campaign is in extremely bad taste.

+1 (ad nauseum)

Unless you're riding by yourself that is....

There have been at least four local fatalities. All of them have involved another vehicle.

I see that as a weak excuse to drop Allstate. Drop them for their high premiums, lack of payouts or something worthwhile. Not over an advertisement.

I'd add another point in that they'll probably decrease the number of customers
Maybe that is what they are hoping. It is very difficult for an insurer to get out of a segment of the insurance business. There are a lot of regulations and they vary State by State. Maybe they came up with another approach. Make sure no one wants to buy coverage from us. They can't just jack up rates as those are filed with the State regulators and must be approved.

I realize this is unlikely but it is an approach to running down a line of business...but companies will try anything. Remember 'New Coke'. :)

gypsy

Boy, I don't know... :unsure: If you're referring to Allstate's "Bikes Never Crash Alone" ad?, I found it quite creative and realistic.
I kinda liked it. Better than than the green lizard or some guy telling me that I'm in "good hands" I really don't want that guy's or anyone other guys hands on me.
The images were realistic, other than the fact that they didn't show the rider getting mangled. Maybe reality is too much for some.

I'll have these folks quote me on my next insurance shopping spree,

...and no doubt will have Stephanie Courtney quote me as well:

large_image-1.jpg

Hi Flo!

-I dropped Allstate a few years ago, but not because of their ads, but because they weren't competitive -but I've learned to never get complacent or comfortable with insurance -like tires always keep your eyes open, better deals come along.

Advertisements aren't a contributing factor on who I choose for my insurance. And when I buy the company, then my input will count on what kind of ad they run. Seems everyone is too eager to tell someone else how to run their company.

Its funny because I just picked Allstate up a couple days ago for the FJR and my KLR. I had Esurance but they underwrite through some other company who is never open and hard to reach. Allstate was very competitive in my oppinion, I got full coverage for less than it cost for lesser coverage on my VFR. Ads don't generally play a role in my decision.

At first I found the ad a little disturbing, but anything that keeps you aware of crash dangers is ultimately a good thing. I've had Allstate for several years (homeowners, auto and mc). Their rates are reasonable and their claims service was top notch when I wadded up the first FJR last June.

Boy, I don't know... :unsure: If you're referring to Allstate's "Bikes Never Crash Alone" ad?, I found it quite creative and realistic. As a (sadly) repeated crasher, I found some the scenes eerily familiar.

I have to agree!

I didn't have a negative reaction to the ad. If I hadn't read the opening post, I think my only reaction would be that it looked very artistically done. That is to say, the art direction was superb. I wonder how they set the shots up and how many bikes they crashed before they got it right.

And I was surprised to see the comment that crashing is an unspoken subject. I talk about it all the freakin' time with the folks I ride with or talk to about riding. Maybe I'm still new to riding. Is there a code? :blink: I'm always the last to know! :angry: Someone send me the email!

Things that don't get talked about don't get solved. Probably bad examples, but things like alcoholism, veneral diseases, and child abuse come to mind. I'd like to stop seeing 16-year-olds ride their sport bikes into left-turning vehicles, and baby boomers drift off sweepers into trees. How can we raise awareness and the importance of training if we don't talk about consequences?

I don't mind the ad, but I will say that when my bride saw it for the first time last weekend she said "Ohhh, I don't want to see that...."

I don't mind the ad, but I will say that when my bride saw it for the first time last weekend she said "Ohhh, I don't want to see that...."
Mine had the same reaction. She already knows that bikes crash, just doesn't want to be reminded and have that mental image while she watches my tail light leave the driveway. I'm not saying I wouldn't buy Allstate Insurance if it was a good deal, but I dislike their ad. Wait a sec.... aren't advertising guys supposed to present their product in a way that it'll be remembered? Agree or disagree, it appears that they've hit their mark.

Its funny because I just picked Allstate up a couple days ago for the FJR and my KLR. I had Esurance but they underwrite through some other company who is never open and hard to reach. Allstate was very competitive in my oppinion, I got full coverage for less than it cost for lesser coverage on my VFR. Ads don't generally play a role in my decision.
I am a long time Allstate customer (since 18) this last year my motorcycle premimum skyrocketed, they could not answer why they were $100 more than ANY body else.

I am switching this Week, lots of choices that are cheaper, even without the discounts they give me.

+1 I think they are good ads. And I've never head about any unspoken rule about not talking about crashing. How will people ever learn the risks associated?

I have Allstate and will continue to have Allstate.

Advertisements aren't a contributing factor on who I choose for my insurance. And when I buy the company, then my input will count on what kind of ad they run. Seems everyone is too eager to tell someone else how to run their company.
+1

How to run their company, what to wear, who to hang around with....

It did not offend me. I thought it was well done. Makes me think that a.) be careful out there and b.) have insurance. Have insurance especially for personal injury!