Allstates Repulsive Ad Campaign

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If the ad's were about teaching people why they should avoid behavior that might lead to a crash, then I would applaud them. Since they are not about crash avoidance but about how you can buy insurance and pass the responsibility on to the insurance company, I think they are in poor taste and teach the wrong lesson.

I thought the ad was well done, I think it tells me to have high personal injury limits. And what is this unspoken law about crashing you speek of? Crashing is a very real part of riding, why do you think I am A.T.G.A.T.T.? Duh....

I think the problem with the add is it uses something awful, crashing, as a way to get attention to sell insurance. If it had more of a safety message it would be better. Here is an add below that will make you jump but at least it has a very strong safety message.

Motrocycle saftey commercial (Clicky)

The ad didn't bother me either. They have other insurers showing cars getting munched or crashing cars etc. So.... :blink:

Well spank my butt and call me Judy!

Three? THREE!? Three out of twenty agree with me!?

ART!?

Reminders?

Well...it doesn't look like Allstate will go out of business any time soon. Darn it. Especially with those effective ads (agreed), artfully composed (not sure about that one), running all the time. All we have to do is add the dying rider in you mind's eye.

I'm thinking that most V-Twin riders don't wear helmets, so that dude's dead. And the sport bike crash they composed killed that rider helmet or not. So Allstate's cool when they pay off the blue book on your totalled ride and ... what do they pay when you're dead?

I've seen enough dead riders, mangled sport bikes and twisted twins being pulled out of the rocks. I don't want to see it when I'm trying to relax.

As for the code. OK. Maybe there isn't one. I just thought there was.

I'm changing my signature again. :rolleyes:

ART!?

Reminders?

Well...it doesn't look like Allstate will go out of business any time soon. Darn it. Especially with those effective ads (agreed), artfully composed (not sure about that one), running all the time. All we have to do is add the dying rider in you mind's eye.

I'm thinking that most V-Twin riders don't wear helmets, so that dude's dead. And the sport bike crash they composed killed that rider helmet or not. So Allstate's cool when they pay off the blue book on your totalled ride and ... what do they pay when you're dead?

I've seen enough dead riders, mangled sport bikes and twisted twins being pulled out of the rocks. I don't want to see it when I'm trying to relax.

Good on yah, SlabPiggie!

I was kind of intrigued by the damage done

and pissed off they wasted 'good' bikes for a stupid ad

...why don't they talk about customer satisfaction - or how best to piss off RenoJohn?

jeesh, these ad companies don't know crap now do they?

:fuck:

ART!?

Reminders?

I've seen it a few times now and it has a negative vibe to me. My family sees it and turns the channel. Allstate has been a rough company to deal with when our house had a water line break inside and during the repair of my truck. It was a fight and both claims were never fully completed. Only wanted to do partial repairs etc. So, I'm not a customer any more. The moto coverage was way high in GA and AL. It was like they didn't want to deal with bikes, they seem anti-motorcycle to me. Progressive is bike friendly, no claims so far and I hope to keep it that way! The prices were lower with Progressive and the RV coverage is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
I sent this email to Allstate today.

I wanted to drop you a note to tell you that I feel that your new motorcycle insurance ad campaign is in extremely bad taste. Your ad execs must not ride. If they do, I believe that they have really miscalculated the effect that the scenes of crashing motorcycles will have on prospective moto-insurance buyers. Your ads are in very bad taste.

All riders know the risks of riding. It is an unspoken subject. You are breaking that code.

I hope I speak for many others riders when I tell you that I will NEVER consider Allstate for ANY insurance, let alone motorcycle insurance.

It is my sincere hope that this ad campaign backfires on you. Big time.
I thought it was a good ad. They sure wasted some bikes to make that ad, but no humans were experimented with in making their ad.

I had Progressive for 7 years and Allstate just beat them by almost $100. I have my home owners with them and an umbrella for quite a bit more. Now my umbrella covers the bike as well. Score :clapping:

All we have to do is add the dying rider in you mind's eye.
That's the whole point of the ad, and why it is deemed to be so well-done. It gets the message across without the gore.

As much as I liked it, I realize it isn't realistic. Few bikes just fly into a bus stop by themselves, or tumble down the highway. They could have added left-turning cars, drunks, underskilled riders sliding into guardrails. But then it wouldn't get your attention as effectively in 30 seconds.

We all know training and experience keeps us safe - insurance is just there to pick up the peices and limit financial exposure.

Boy, I don't know... :unsure: If you're referring to Allstate's "Bikes Never Crash Alone" ad?, I found it quite creative and realistic.
I kinda liked it. Better than than the green lizard or some guy telling me that I'm in "good hands" I really don't want that guy's or anyone other guys hands on me.
The images were realistic, other than the fact that they didn't show the rider getting mangled. Maybe reality is too much for some.

I'll have these folks quote me on my next insurance shopping spree,

...and no doubt will have Stephanie Courtney quote me as well:

large_image-1.jpg

Hi Flo!

-I dropped Allstate a few years ago, but not because of their ads, but because they weren't competitive -but I've learned to never get complacent or comfortable with insurance -like tires always keep your eyes open, better deals come along.

Advertisements aren't a contributing factor on who I choose for my insurance. And when I buy the company, then my input will count on what kind of ad they run. Seems everyone is too eager to tell someone else how to run their company.
RJ, I'd do Flo in a New York minute! You wouldn't happen to have her phone number or e-mail for your Old Papa Chuy would you! Or Abbie from CSI! FJRBluesman and I would tag team those two!!!

Boy, I don't know... :unsure: If you're referring to Allstate's "Bikes Never Crash Alone" ad?, I found it quite creative and realistic. As a (sadly) repeated crasher, I found some the scenes eerily familiar.

In their Rider Handbook, the MSF dedicates 4 pages to Risk Awareness, Risk Acceptance, and Risk Management including the concepts: "the Ladder of Risk" and "the Crash Chain". Crashing is reality (not to say it can't be reduced...) and Allstate's ad is certainly a 'reality check', IMO.

I sent this email to Allstate today....I feel that your new motorcycle insurance ad campaign is in extremely bad taste.

...Your ads are in very bad taste.

All riders know the risks of riding. It is an unspoken subject. You are breaking that code.
I'm not so sure that all riders know the risks of riding? :unsure:

And, what's so bad about talking about them...? :huh:

What code...? :blink:
I have to agree!

I also agree. I'm also an MSF instructor and believe riders need to be aware of the risks of riding and with that, promote responsible riding and wearing protective gear. If it makes someone reflect and positively change their behavior and decide to start wearing gear, I'm all for it. As an officer, I also am the fellow that responds to crashes and sees broken bodies and bikes. Ultimately, who cares about the bikes. Bikes can be replaced, people can't. That said, I like the ad. I find it to be creative and thought provoking.

As an insurance company, shouldn't they be interested in reducing the number of claims paid while selling insurance to as many people as possible? I'm not sure the ad will achieve this.

As a rider, does thinking about crashing all the time increase your risk of actually crashing?

While riding, thinking about riding, and talking about riding, we should probably concentrate on avoiding a crash, as in 'looking where you want to go', instead of 'what you are about to hit'.

I appreciate people posting theirs and others' experiences, not for the morbidity of it, but for how I can learn more about avoiding a crash or minimizing the damage.

As an insurance company, shouldn't they be interested in reducing the number of claims paid while selling insurance to as many people as possible? I'm not sure the ad will achieve this.
As a rider, does thinking about crashing all the time increase your risk of actually crashing?

While riding, thinking about riding, and talking about riding, we should probably concentrate on avoiding a crash, as in 'looking where you want to go', instead of 'what you are about to hit'.

I appreciate people posting theirs and others' experiences, not for the morbidity of it, but for how I can learn more about avoiding a crash or minimizing the damage.
I think what they're interested in with this commercial is to sell you the rider medical insurance "for as little as $100/yr." That's really the point of the ad.

I don't think it will bother them to raise awareness amongst significant others, because significant others will want you to have the extra insurance.

FWIW, I never buy accident related medical insurance. I buy medical insurance that is generally applicable to any health problem instead. While accidents may be a significant cause of medical problems, especially for younger riders, there are so many other things that you need medical insurance for, that buying limited applicability medical insurance for things like accidents or cancer seems like a waste of money to me. Better to have good general coverage.

I have full coverage+ $2000 worth accessories for $141 a year through Allstate. I don't see that as bad at all, but I do have multiple car and house with them also! I really don't care what their ads are like with rates like that!

It seems to me that the bottom line is:

If you are not going to prepare yourself to prevent injury, Allstate wants to sell you insurance for "after the fact".

Let's face it, not many motorcyclists read riding skills books, practice the actions and maneuvers (building muscle memory), avoidance techniques, emergency braking, perceptions skills, etc., etc., etc., that are talked about here and other venues.

When was the last time YOU did parking lot drills or even ran through a mental checklist concerning your own level of awareness regarding any riding situation you were in?

Many riders still do not wear protective clothing, some don't wear helmets or gloves.

Bikes DO NOT crash alone, they leave a trail of broken human parts and skin and broken hearted family and friends.

Why shouldn't Allstate or any other company exploit the obvious market for those who are in denial about the possibility of their being injured?