Am I looking at the right bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

renink

Reaction score
I currently have a VStar 1100 and have been looking for something faster and nimble but still comfortable and have been looking at the FJR hard for a couple of months now. I have never taken a trip over 160miles and my girl doesn't ride that often with me since I use my bike to go to and from work most of the time and she only jumps on whene we are going to relatives house to visit. I would love to take long rides but don't know when or if it would happen. I am also making sure it is something she would be comfortable on. I like the way the FJR looks and has a bunch of accessories I would add anyway (windshield & bags) but I can only have one bike and was looking at a sport bike for something different but I am to big for one of those (270lbs). I know that temptation on one of those can be too much sometimes and my girl/family is strictly against them.

I see the FJR as the best of both worlds and have been obsessing about it ever since I put it into consideration :dribble: . I have been all over this forum reading everything. The only concerns I have is with:

Height, I am 5'11 and while I cannot flat foot it I don't think it's too bad. And I don't like the idea of lowering the bike.

Not being able to ride one to see how it fits.

I don't get to put as much miles on my bike as I would like.

And last but not least, this will be the last bike I will be able to buy for a while so I will have to make sure I am satisfied with it.

I bought my house last year and that is out of the way but I know my girl's finger is itching for some ice and both families are expecting kids sooner rather than later heheheh. I have a good chance to get a vacation place upstate now as well so I told my girl that between our current house, the new bike I want and another possible house everything else will have to be put off for a while :unsure: The look I got after that was not good :angry: :assassin: hehehe

So everyone is actually shocked that I haven't already bought one because I am usually very impulsive especially when I get interested in something as much as I am interested in the FJR. It's just that now that I have experience with a motorcycles, the VStar being my first and only bike, that I want to make sure that I am getting the right one this time.

So considering my few concerns. Am I obsessing about the right bike?

Will

By posting on this forum, it's unlikely anyone is going to say that you should look at something other than an FJR. However, I'll try to be objective. I'm 5' 5" tall and my FJR is not lowered and has the stock seat. Of course a little lower would be nice, but I don't have problems and like it the way it is. I bought mine on a leap of faith without ever sitting on one, and don't regret it for a minute. I own four motorcycles, the '05 FJR, an '06 FZ1, an '03 Honda 919, and an '01 XT225. If I had to own only one motorcycle it would be the FJR because it can do many things reasonably well. It has good handling and is "flickable" (if you can call a 600 lb. bike that), it makes good power, and is comfortable for long distances with good wind protection. And for pillions, a magazine comparison rating of sport tourers rated it the most comfortable for passengers. I hope that helps some and welcome to the forum.

If you're expecting an objective opinion you're in the wrong place :lol: Since you have probably read about the handling, power and brakes the only thing I can add is passenger comfort. On the v65 I was a mostly solo rider, the family hated that thing. With the FJR I can't utter the words ride in our house without sparking an argument of who gets to go along - the SO and my son love riding on it.

Well it does sound like an FJR might be a good choice for you, so long as you're comfortable with its height and weight. Just accept the very real possibility of dropping it; it's nothing like handling a low-slung cruiser.

The FJR is a very versatile, comfortable, do-everything kind of bike, and it has a nice facade of respectability about it. ;)

That said, you're not automatically disqualified from all sportbikes though because of your size: there are some very big sportbikes out there that you'd probably be comfortable on. For new bikes, you've got the Kawasaki ZX-14, Suzuki Hayabusa, and BMW K1200S, and if you're considering late model used, there are the Kawasaki ZZR1200 and Honda CBR 1100XX. Those are all big "GT" sportbikes that don't make a big guy feel like a contortionist circus clown. I've got both a ZZR1200 and a ZX-14, and at 6'1, 205# (and 41 years old) I find them both quite comfortable (the ZZR more so).

Regardless, the FJR is more ergonomically comfortable and offers more wind protection than any of those big GTs. My wife has an '04 FJR, and damn, it's a nice bike. :D

I agree with FJR919. I am 5'9" and I can almost flat foot it. The thing that makes it easy is that the bike is very balanced to me. I too bought a used FJR after researching the hell out of it and without riding one and loved it so much I bought a brand new one six months later. As far a being the last bike you will be able to buy for a while, I think this will be the last bike you will will want to buy for some time to come. If you are only obsessing about the bike then things aren't too bad yet. When you start dreaming of the damn thing and waking up several times during the night then I recommend you hurry to the dealer and get the cure. :bike: :thumbsupsmileyanim: That's the only thing that worked for me.

Well it does sound like an FJR might be a good choice for you, so long as you're comfortable with its height and weight. Just accept the very real possibility of dropping it; it's nothing like handling a low-slung cruiser.
The FJR is a very versatile, comfortable, do-everything kind of bike, and it has a nice facade of respectability about it. ;)

That said, you're not automatically disqualified from all sportbikes though because of your size: there are some very big sportbikes out there that you'd probably be comfortable on. For new bikes, you've got the Kawasaki ZX-14, Suzuki Hayabusa, and BMW K1200S, and if you're considering late model used, there are the Kawasaki ZZR1200 and Honda CBR 1100XX. Those are all big "GT" sportbikes that don't make a big guy feel like a contortionist circus clown. I've got both a ZZR1200 and a ZX-14, and at 6'1, 205# (and 41 years old) I find them both quite comfortable (the ZZR more so).

Regardless, the FJR is more ergonomically comfortable and offers more wind protection than any of those big GTs. My wife has an '04 FJR, and damn, it's a nice bike. :D
I looked at some of those bigger CC sports bikes but full coverage for me here in NYC is $4200 compared to $1100 full coverage on a FJR. So that was another big consideration. I think I have pretty much made my decision to get it and for the first time I am having problems pulling the trigger.

As far as asking in the right/wrong forum. Even some people on the VStar forums raved about the FJR but seems like a lot of people have different bikes for different purposes. I will only have one. :unsure:

I agree with FJR919. I am 5'9" and I can almost flat foot it. The thing that makes it easy is that the bike is very balanced to me. I too bought a used FJR after researching the hell out of it and without riding one and loved it so much I bought a brand new one six months later. As far a being the last bike you will be able to buy for a while, I think this will be the last bike you will will want to buy for some time to come. If you are only obsessing about the bike then things aren't too bad yet. When you start dreaming of the damn thing and waking up several times during the night then I recommend you hurry to the dealer and get the cure. :bike: :thumbsupsmileyanim: That's the only thing that worked for me.
I define obsessing as past the point of dreaming and waking up several times at night... :lol: I was considering a Warrior as well but I pretty much decided the FJR would be the bike to buy if I get one. Now I have to figure what is holding me back. Outside of financing.

Take it at your own pace. Just remember that once you buy you'll be kicking yourself for waiting so long.

One thing about the FJR over big CC sport bikes is that with the saddlebags LEO's don't look at you as hard (or at all if you're just riding on the freeway).

If you're mostly commuting, seldom doing any 200+ mile days and are usually solo, I can think of a lot of other bikes I'd consider first such as an FZ1, Bandit S or Monster. The big GTs might be a good choice, too. I acquired the FJR because I mostly do two-up 300+ mile days and rarely commute on it. It is the perfect machine for my use and requirements combining prodigious power, good handling, reasonable comfort for two and good luggage capacity.

I sold my 04 Vstar for the 04 FJR. Never looked back. I think the FJR is more comfortable than the Vstar, but then again, I have a corbin seat and only had the stocker on the Vstar. However, as far as leg room, the FJR is not bad, but it is different. If you put on highway pegs, it's great.

The FJR is a totally different machine. Way faster, way more clearance, better wind protection, smoother ride.....

I prefer the riding position on the FJR because you can use your legs to alleviate some of the weight off your arse. On the Vstar, all your weight is on your arse, and thus your tailbone gets tired quickly.

I'm 6' tall and weigh 220 lbs and the FJR is GREAT! :yahoo: That said the wife and I ride it all the time (took it to Deals Gap last year on a 10 day, 2450 mile trip). I have added a Wilburs rear shock and got Rick Mayer to redo the seat but that is stuff you'll find out once you own the FJR. One more thing, I have done a SS1000 with the FJR and have a REAL NICE Iron Butt plate holder. As Nike says...Just DO it!

Tom

If you're mostly commuting, seldom doing any 200+ mile days and are usually solo, I can think of a lot of other bikes I'd consider first such as an FZ1, Bandit S or Monster. The big GTs might be a good choice, too. I acquired the FJR because I mostly do two-up 300+ mile days and rarely commute on it. It is the perfect machine for my use and requirements combining prodigious power, good handling, reasonable comfort for two and good luggage capacity.
I have also been considering that as well. I don't do long commutes yet. I looked at pictures of the FZ1 and it seems a lot of people here like it as well. But while my girl doesn't ride with me often, I do want her to get use to riding more and want to make sure she is comfortable. I am 270lb and she's about 160lbs (don't tell her I actually posted that) :D . But like I said I don't want to be changing bikes aevery few years. I also like the look of the FJR over the FZ1. Plus while I know all bikes have to be respected but some bikes I think I would get in more trouble with.

I sold my 04 Vstar for the 04 FJR. Never looked back. I think the FJR is more comfortable than the Vstar, but then again, I have a corbin seat and only had the stocker on the Vstar. However, as far as leg room, the FJR is not bad, but it is different. If you put on highway pegs, it's great.
The FJR is a totally different machine. Way faster, way more clearance, better wind protection, smoother ride.....

I prefer the riding position on the FJR because you can use your legs to alleviate some of the weight off your arse. On the Vstar, all your weight is on your arse, and thus your tailbone gets tired quickly.
I have been noticing that lately on my VStar. Sometimes you hit a bump and if you misjudged it or didn't notice it, you will really feel it. I was wondering if the new riding position would take some of that shock away. My girl has been caught out like that a few times while on the back and I can hear her through the helmets scream OWWW! She can then hear me laughing my ass off right after. The next stop I usually get a slap on the back of the helmet or shoulder asking why I didn't warn her. hehe

It sounds like you want one do-it-all bike, so I have to recommend the FJR. However, if you have big concerns about the height of the bike and if you're not putting on big mileage (but, rather, seem to be riding in more stop-and-go situations), perhaps the FJR is more bike than is necessary for you right now. Besides, there's no guarantee that you will ride more with your girl and whether she will even take to it as much as you wish.

As far as comfort goes. I sold my GL1800 Gold wing and have not regretted it. For the other stuff, power, handeling, whatnot, I think I neeed to add no further coments.

I bought my AE the second I found a new one on the showroom floor. Never looked back, did not ride it first.

You dont need to test drive a Masarati, to know you would like it.

YMMV

Looks like you got enough answers to completely cloud the issue. For what it's worth, I just sold my o4 Warrior and got the FJR two months ago and must admit I miss the Warrior. The FJ is certainly faster than the Warrior (it was Stage II), but is much more cumbersome in traffic due to heighth and weight. Yes, I have shaved Corbin seat on FJ. I definitely like the added luggage capacity of FJ compared to Warrior bags or top box on luggage rack.

I guess I am more slanted as most as my other two bikes are a V-Max and Harley.

Looks like you got enough answers to completely cloud the issue. For what it's worth, I just sold my o4 Warrior and got the FJR two months ago and must admit I miss the Warrior. The FJ is certainly faster than the Warrior (it was Stage II), but is much more cumbersome in traffic due to heighth and weight. Yes, I have shaved Corbin seat on FJ. I definitely like the added luggage capacity of FJ compared to Warrior bags or top box on luggage rack.
So if you had the choice again, and if you knew it would be your only bike, would you go for the Warrior or FJR?

So if you had the choice again, and if you knew it would be your only bike, would you go for the Warrior or FJR?
I think you should buy my 2000 ST1100 and ride it for a couple of years before moving up to a new FJR! The Honda is a great touring bike but lacks the power of the FJR. IM me for details.

Probably keep the Warrior.