An IPA For Me

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRPittsburgh

Rally Addict
Reaction score
I graduated to drinking IPAs after many years of experimenting with craft brews from all over the world. I've noticed that lagers and other beers now taste like crap. Have I ruined my taste buds? A couple of the beers brewed from Great Lakes Brewery have won me over. Commodore Perry and Burning River are both awesome. Anyone else experience this taste bud dilemma?

Get a hold of Bells Hopslam...if you can find it. It's worth the $$$$. Great Lakes may be the best known in the Cleveland area, but there are some great small breweries, turning out some great IPA's...and with IPA's, the fresher, the better. Stay thirsty my friend.

Last edited by a moderator:
I underwent a medical procedure that screwed up my sense of taste. IPAs now taste like pure grapefruit juice. Beer in general has lost its allure. Irish whiskey is still good.

I see more double posts on this forum than all the others I'm on combined. Must be a software glitch.

We have so many breweries here now that it's hard to say which IPA is my favorite. Stay tuned, I haven't tried them all yet. Other brews don't interest me anymore either

I've graduated to Porters, as 20years of IPAs left me wanting something new. Elysian Porter in the PNW is my current fav, but frankly, i'll gladly drink a lager or a corona if its placed in front of me.

About 7 years ago, I gave up drinking horse piss and now would prefer to have one to three beers that actually taste good. However for the most part, I find IPAs too hoppy and bitter for my liking. I will still try a lager every now and then, but what I really like are the Ambers, preferably on tap. When I travel on the bike, one of the things I really look forward to is finding a local amber to try.

Beer is for women and college kids, real men drink Vodka.
smile.png

I am, unfortunately, going the other way. Up until a month ago, I loved beer. IPA's, porters, stouts, lagers... I didn't like every beer I tried, but it was rare to find one that I couldn't appreciate. I've been through Great Lakes Brewery in Cleveland. It's a great tour with a lot of history. I took a vacation a couple years ago, and pretty much brewery hopped around Portland, Maine.

I quit smoking in January. Everybody says that your taste buds come back after you quit smoking. I have yet to find a beer that actually tastes good. Terribly disappointing.

But I have't lost my taste for whiskey or vodka, so there's that.

Oh don't get me wrong - I like the fire water too. Lately I've been getting into ryes and scotches. But about 3 fingers of Heradura Reposado and two small ice cubes is absolutely impossible to resist.

Oh don't get me wrong - I like the fire water too. Lately I've been getting into ryes and scotches. But about 3 fingers of Heradura Reposado and two small ice cubes is absolutely impossible to resist.
Scotch you say? Our lovely friend in California have anything to do with that? Like most attractive women she is costing me money without even trying.

I confess I am not a fan of IPAs. Too bitter for me. I have enough bitterness in my life already. But then I am not exactly a beer snob anyway.

IPA for me. I used to drink porters and stouts, but much prefer the strong bitter taste of a hoppy IPA. I prefer draft to bottles and I can get Dogfish Head at most local taverns so that's what I usually drink. My all time favorite so far is Green Flash West Coast IPA, but I have only found it on tap in NY City and I don't go into the city very often.

The problem with IPA is the high alcohol content. I can only drink two or three before I get silly or sleepy.

IPA for me. I used to drink porters and stouts, but much prefer the strong bitter taste of a hoppy IPA. I prefer draft to bottles and I can get Dogfish Head at most local taverns so that's what I usually drink. My all time favorite so far is Green Flash West Coast IPA, but I have only found it on tap in NY City and I don't go into the city very often.
The problem with IPA is the high alcohol content. I can only drink two or three before I get silly or sleepy.
Isn't that the whole idea?

Commodore Perry IPA is about 7.5 ABV. The similarly priced 2XIPA from Southern Tier ($30/case) is 8.2%, both are good examples of the style and a regular part of my refrigerator stock. If you're mixing it up a bit this time of year the Russian Imperial Stout (Old Rasputin) is a good pick if you can handle the 9% ABV. Of course March is here, and it's time to tame things down with some good Irish Red Ale and Marzen which are in the mid-5% range.

I have done a lot of home brewing, and had an appreciation for a wide variety of beers, but generally don't like Belgium Tripples and flavored beers. Mid-summer Shandy beers are okay for thirst quenching.

I don't care for IPA's either. Or any real "hoppy" beer. I doubt you ruined your taste buds, you've just transformed your likes. My daughter, who is a major beer geek, and a homebrewer, loves IPA's, but still drinks other beers .....

I like most of the other craft beers, but still love the German heffes and wheat beers. A standout here would be:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/weihenstephaner-vitus/70791/

If you want a killer IPA try Avery's Maharaja:

https://www.ratebeer.com/beer/avery-the-maharaja-imperial-india-pale-ale/44485/

I'm not an IPA fan either, mostly think of it as an unaged beer. The occasional one is ok.....

You do realize of course, that IPA was made as a cheap beer for the masses in India during the time of British rule......... the upper class got the good stuff that took longer to make.