And the journey begins

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howie...You are one ambitious SOB :D
Just desperate. :)

I hope you're gettin' some help dude.
So far, all on my own. No one to blame but me. :)

Looks like it will be ugly, at least for a while.
Nah, I'll be ugly permanently.

Good Luck and keep us posted on the progress...
What else would you expect from a postwhore like me? :rofl:

I'll be changing wheels later this week in preparation for EOM.....don't want to be showing steel threads in the back tire half way thru EOM you know........so I'll take a look. I swear I don't remember seeing this spacer before. The axle has to go thru it to hold it in place. Could it normally be inside the wheel?

Did you pull the forks off to make room to pull out the front? Would it make it any easier?
212vksl.jpg

I didn't. Depends on what you have to lift it with. I tossed a strap over the rafter and used the chain hoist, but in a pinch a come-a-long would work too. There isn't a lot of weight to lift w/o the motor there. It becomes more of a wiggle to the right angle job when getting things lined up again.
Y'know, lookin' at that there picture, dropping the forks would seem like a viable alternative for someone (like me) who doesn't have a method to improvise a sling.

We'll see how it goes. Still several days away from that point. Gotta spend a couple of nights pulling and labelling electrical connections.

This all brings back memories of a ground-up resto I did on a Fiat once. Whadda waste of time THAT was! :lol:

Could it normally be inside the wheel?
Nope. The OD of the thinnest part of the collar is too big to fit in the wheel, but the OD of the flanged end is too big to fit inside the diff.

It looks like the only place that spacer/collar COULD go is right where I put it for this pic:

day_03d.jpg

Keep an eye open for it when you re-rubber.

T'anks.

Last edited by a moderator:
The spacer does go in the diff where you have it Howie. Doesn't normally fall out unless you take the diff off and tilt it. BTDT.

If you pull the forks, just come up with a plan to hold the bike up after that. Front wheel and center stand were there for me once I got the motor in.

The spacer does go in the diff where you have it Howie. Doesn't normally fall out unless you take the diff off and tilt it. BTDT.
If you pull the forks, just come up with a plan to hold the bike up after that. Front wheel and center stand were there for me once I got the motor in.
Uncle Slappy gave me a great idea HERE.

If Travis is your uncle, that's some sick family! Never trust a man with his bike in the kitchen. :fie:

Be careful when you strap your ass like that. The subframe is strong enough if no force is on it.

This is one of the most entertaining threads I have followed. Keep up the good work Howie and the good humor. I think you are gonna need it during reassembly!!

A couple of years ago I had all the plastic off and the air box out of my FJ. I thought about dropping the engine out, just because I like to take things apart. Kind of glad I didn't now!

Glad to see you are doing well so far Howie. God luck with the rest. It'll be worth it when you are done.

Tom