Any Bay Area FJRer's w/ aftermarket seats?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motochick

Reaction score
Hi guys,

The stock seat is horrible but I've been dealing with it for years. My main issue is sliding forward into the tank.

I've read many posts on here about Sargent, Russell, Mayer, and Corbin seats but I don't want to lay down all this cash on a seat that I don't like. I was wondering if any Bay Area folk with aftermarket seats are planning any rides soon. I'd like to join and check out the seats.

Thanks,

Jen

If you can deal with the stock seat except for the sliding forward, try removing the two rear rubber pads under the seat. That lowers the rear of the seat about 3/4 inch and reduces the tendency to slide forward and squish the boys. Oh, wait...indoor plumbing, no boys. Still, it could help a little. Having said this, it did not work well enough for me and I later bought a slightly used Bill Mayer seat.

If you can deal with the stock seat except for the sliding forward, try removing the two rear rubber pads under the seat. That lowers the rear of the seat about 3/4 inch and reduces the tendency to slide forward and squish the boys. Oh, wait...indoor plumbing, no boys. Still, it could help a little. Having said this, it did not work well enough for me and I later bought a slightly used Bill Mayer seat.
Thanks for the tip on removing the rubber pads! LOL...you poor guys have to deal with the "boys", not me! My legs just get tired squeezing the tank all day to stay back, also get some chaffing issues which anyone can get.

cheers,

Jen

LOL...you poor guys have to deal with the "boys", not me! My legs just get tired squeezing the tank all day to stay back, also get some chaffing issues which anyone can get.cheers,

Jen
There's a famous quote by I don't know who that if there were any logic in the world, then men would ride side saddle (or something like that :huh: ).

We should organize a Bay Area ride just because.

I don't know about any rides but you're welcome to try out my Sargent seat. I live in Clayton, which is just barely considered the Bay Area. We're about 45 minutes from the City.

Hi guys,The stock seat is horrible but I've been dealing with it for years. My main issue is sliding forward into the tank.

I've read many posts on here about Sargent, Russell, Mayer, and Corbin seats but I don't want to lay down all this cash on a seat that I don't like. I was wondering if any Bay Area folk with aftermarket seats are planning any rides soon. I'd like to join and check out the seats.

Thanks,

Jen
I've got a Bill Mayer seat that you're welcome to try out and would be in the neighborhood if Hans would ever get off his duff and organize another bay area tour. I'm thinking the "other" Skyline near Half Moon Bay or Mt. Hamilton would do just fine thank you.

I don't know about any rides but you're welcome to try out my Sargent seat. I live in Clayton, which is just barely considered the Bay Area. We're about 45 minutes from the City.
You must be the FJR I see once in awhile on Treat and thereabouts.... I live in Concord.
Yeah Hans; you're probably seeing me on my commute home from work at around 1 pm. Blue bike with Shoei helmet w/blue faceshield, and black leathers.

I drive through the city every Friday right around noon. I would be more then happy to meet you somewhere near the bay bridge and let you check out my Russel, but I am not sure how much good it would do you to sit on it. It was custom fit for a rather large uh...person. But hey...the big diamonds are way comfy.

I have a Rick Mayer leather and your welcome to try it out anytime. But I'm out on the edge of the bay area myself in Brentwood. A Mt. Hamilton ride sounds good, then again any ride always sounds good.

Sliding forward shouldn't be a problem. You should be sitting on the front part of the seat anyway.
It is a problem, if your not comfortable on the bike. You don't ride well and get fatigued.

So we got a Mayer, Russell, and a Sargent. Brentwood, Concord, and Clayton are pretty far from Daly City. I appreciate the offer but that's a long haul to check out a seat. Maybe I'll look for a future FJR ride in the area where there's a group of FJR's.

Russell is the one with the big wings on the side, right? I bet they are comfortable, but I'm not an iron butt and they look kinda funny. I prefer somewhat of a "stock" look without the tendency to slide forward so much.

Thanks,

Jen

So I guess it takes a thread about seats to bring all the Bay Area riders out into the open. Seems the place is crawlin' with 'em. We outta use this opportunity to organize a ride, or maybe just a get together. Maybe rendezvou in Oakland or Berkeley, or even SF.

So I guess it takes a thread about seats to bring all the Bay Area riders out into the open. Seems the place is crawlin' with 'em. We outta use this opportunity to organize a ride, or maybe just a get together. Maybe rendezvou in Oakland or Berkeley, or even SF.
I think that's a great idea!

I'm a little in favor of the coast since I live in Daly City, but I could make the trek across the bay bridge for a berryessa ride or other nice places (I just hate the 80 corridor)

-jen

Go for it!