Any experience with Russell Sport Seat

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slimey

Reaction score
I'm sure this has been discussed many times, but my searches turned up no discussion about the sport seat. Just general happiness with Russel users.

I like to go on nice touring rides, managed a 2600 and a 2800 mile adventure this summer. But still the majority of my riding is sub 2 hour rides to one place or another. Touring the stock seat starts to bug me at about 400 miles, usually the inside lower thighs. I use the Yoda riding style breaking at the hips and leaning forward .

I live in a rural area, so I rarely have to deal with traffic lights, stop and go traffic. I occasionally take my bike into the city, but it's rare.

Although I'm getting slower on the pegs, I still like to move around on the bike when cornering, being locked into a seat with limited movement, or restricted movement would not appeal to me, I don't think.

I'm struggling to decide between an standard Russel daylong or their sport seat, I've pretty much decided a Russell is my brand of choice, but I would love to hear from anyone who has the sport seat, especially their comfort over longer rides and their freedom for movement. If you think I should get the regular daylong seat I'd like to hear your reasons for that too.

If I've missed a discussion about the Sport seat please tell me to forth and multiply, while giving me the link, I know the same old tired subjects can be a bit frustrating if you've been on a board for a while.

I have the Russell sport seat. VERY comfortable. Russell built me a seat and I received it 2 weeks before my ride to Spearfish last year. The seat was too tall. So tall in fact that I was on my tip toes. I sent it back to Russell via UPS 2 day air. Russell changed it to a sport seat in one day and shipped it back 2 day air. Talking about top notch customer service. Anyways, I rode it to Spearfish and then back to Washington. VERY satisfied. The difference is basically the height. The sport seat is the same height as the stock seat. You can still change the seat height because the seat is made from the stock base. The standard seat is higher. Much to high for me. You can PM me if you would like and we can talk about it more if need be.

IMG_20160529_082454_zpsix1y9iew.jpg

stock seat next to a Russell Sport seat

IMG_20160528_205838_776_zps6ez0et3w.jpg

sport seat installed on the bike

https://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/trishandj/image%202_zps72c8deqy.jpeg

Standard Russell beside a stock seat.

https://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/trishandj/stock%20seat%20feet%20on%20ground_zpsyzbgbyqs.jpeg

stock seat with feet on the ground, Sport seat is the same height

https://i574.photobucket.com/albums/ss186/trishandj/image%201_zps3ws49dv2.jpeg

Standard seat I received from Russell, tip toes

Last edited by a moderator:
I too am considering the sport seat or maybe a Laam. I noticed in the pictures that the wings on the seat are very close to the tank. Are you pushed all the way forward onto the front of the tank and do you feel pressure on the back of your thighs from the wings? It just doesn't look like there is much room to move around front to back. Also what is your opinion about the seat when riding in the twisties and other none slab riding? Hoping for more opinions as well.

You should call Russell and discuss this with them. I just got one of their standard seats and asked them up front about the sport seat. They told me that it is built with a different suspension system and smaller wings to get you lower to the ground and that they do not "guarantee" the comfort on very long riding days like they do on the standard seat. I am very pleased with my standard seat and do have to slide forward slightly at a stop to flat foot the bike, but this is normal according to Russell and you get used to it very quickly. I have a 32" inseam and have no problem flat footing the bike with the stock seat in the low position but Russell will be the first to tell you that if you are very vertically challenged then their seats are not right for you.

Right after I got the seat I went on a 3,600 mile trip from Houston to the Rockies and back so a good mix of slab riding and mountain twisties. I found the seat to be comfortable for both and had no problems maneuvering in the curves and hairpins.

Last edited by a moderator: