Anyone Know Where I Can Pick Up One Of These?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slo-ride

Your best bet is your local Yamaha dealer. The have (or can get) the exact fit replacement for your bike. That nut plate you showed could break the plastic tab it mounts to when you try installing the screw.

While you're there get several of the other fasteners on your bike. The push pin rivets and screw pin rivets tend to wear out or get lost. Wouldn't hurt to get a few nylon washers that live under the polished button head screws. It won't cost that much and you will thank yourself in the future for having them in hand. Nothing worse than to come up short when reinstalling the bike's tupperware.

Most importantly...

Enjoy Your Ride!

:yahoo:

Brodie

slo-ride
Your best bet is your local Yamaha dealer. The have (or can get) the exact fit replacement for your bike. That nut plate you showed could break the plastic tab it mounts to when you try installing the screw.

While you're there get several of the other fasteners on your bike. The push pin rivets and screw pin rivets tend to wear out or get lost. Wouldn't hurt to get a few nylon washers that live under the polished button head screws. It won't cost that much and you will thank yourself in the future for having them in hand. Nothing worse than to come up short when reinstalling the bike's tupperware.

Most importantly...

Enjoy Your Ride!

:yahoo:

Brodie
Thanks for all the info. Yep, the local Yammi store is always best but, they closed for the weekend at the exact moment the speed nut dropped into the fairing of my bike. Murphy's Law! :banghead: Advance Auto Parts said they have some and they do carry metric parts. I'm going to head down there in just a bit and see what I can find. If nothing else, I'll head over to the local dealer Monday.

Funny that they use, "speed nuts" on a bike that goes as fast as ours.

There are 2 sizes of speed nuts on the bike. The large ones are used for the hard to get to locations. They tend to stay in place quite well. You probably dropped one of the smaller ones. Try borrowing one from under the seat near where the side panel attaches to the rear cowling. It's easy to get to, easy to replace.

Have you thought about using a magnet on a stick to retrieve the dropped speed nut? A little fishing may give you good results.

Just a thought. :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
I had removed the plastic panel above the battery and was reinstalling it. That panel has a screw clip like this one

https://www.allstyles-lambretta-vespa.com/a.../B_H_S_CLIP.JPG

at one end. Lucky me, the clip fell off into the bike's inner compartments somewhere so I need another one. Any ideas on where I can pick some of these up? Metric?

Thanks!
There is no way I would let that little sucker play hide & seek. Call me anal, but if i have to take off all the panels I would. There is no escape. :wacko:

There are 2 sizes of speed nuts on the bike. The large ones are used for the hard to get to locations. They tend to stay in place quite well. You probably dropped one of the smaller ones. Try borrowing one from under the seat near where the side panel attaches to the rear cowling. It's easy to get to, easy to replace.
Have you thought about using a magnet on a stick to retrieve the dropped speed nut? A little fishing may give you good results.

Just a thought. :rolleyes:

Good luck!

Brodie
Borrowing one from under the seat worked! Thanks for that suggestion. I can easily get to that one and replace the speed nut there. Now I can ride! :yahoo:

If this is just for a sheet metal type screw, NAPA might have them. If it is for metric threaded machine screws, I vote Yammy dealer.

Honda uses the same type of nut plates however, they fit on a thicker tab. The thread is a bit different also, I've tried it already. If you are going to work on your own bike you might as well get a small collection of replacement fasteners. It will make your life a bit easier in the long run. Make sure if you get one from a different source it matches.

Brodie