Are these Pilot Road 'GT's on Amazon?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score
Hi Ya'll -

Shopping for tires. Kind of like the Michelin Pilot 4 GT's. The low price appears to be Amazon. But not sure if these are GT's or not. The term 'GT' not specifically mentioned but in the 'details' they mention something about two up grand touring.

?1 - Are these GT's?

?2 - any other shops I should be comparing price to?

?3 - are you aware of any current smoking good deals going on?

2016-06-20%20FJR%20Tires.jpg

The front does not appear to be in your post ,AMT has listed @146.36 for front @185.55 for rear for a total of 331.91 check my math

I just bought a set of Avon Storm 3 X-M from Motorcycle Superstore for $286 with free shipping. These tires come with a 15,000 mile treadwear warranty. I'm about to test the warranty as when I get back from RedLodge they will have about 8500 miles on them and should be at the wear indicators. I'm really pleased with the ride, the handling, and the tread life, it is the most mileage I've gotten on any tire except the Darkside experiment.

I just bought a set of Avon Storm 3 X-M from Motorcycle Superstore for $286 with free shipping. These tires come with a 15,000 mile treadwear warranty. I'm about to test the warranty as when I get back from RedLodge they will have about 8500 miles on them and should be at the wear indicators. I'm really pleased with the ride, the handling, and the tread life, it is the most mileage I've gotten on any tire except the Darkside experiment.
Interesting. I'll be looking forward to your report. You said you bought them from Motorcycle Superstore. Did you get them mounted at a dealership. One condition I saw on the web page is that the tires must have been mounted at a dealership.

Interesting. I'll be looking forward to your report. You said you bought them from Motorcycle Superstore. Did you get them mounted at a dealership. One condition I saw on the web page is that the tires must have been mounted at a dealership.
I will have a receipt from a shop showing mounting and balancing.

The computer is a wonderful thing - JSNS

Checking with Avon, they said a "Shop" and that dealership means "Tire Dealer"

The way I'm looking at it is that these tires are as good or better than any of the others I've tried, if the warranty works I'll get back 40% of the cost of the replacement tires. If not, I still got more miles than anything but the Darksider.

I see no downside!

Last edited by a moderator:
I will have a receipt from a shop showing mounting and balancing.

The computer is a wonderful thing - JSNS

Checking with Avon, they said a "Shop" and that dealership means "Tire Dealer"

The way I'm looking at it is that these tires are as good or better than any of the others I've tried, if the warranty works I'll get back 40% of the cost of the replacement tires. If not, I still got more miles than anything but the Darksider.

I see no downside!
thumbsup_zps3bf1eb32.gif

I've got three new sets in the shop right now; I'm mounting one set tomorrow for an upcoming trip. But maybe I'll give those Avons a try when I work my way through these.

The rear PR4 GT tire is 48057 Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Tire 180/55ZR17 Rear

The PR4 is 95800 Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT Tire 180/55ZR17 Rear

Part Number: MICH - 82353 - Pilot Road 4 GT Front Tire, 120/ 70ZR-17

Part Number: MICH - 96914 - Pilot Road 4 front tire 120/ 70R-17

Spend a couple of more dollars and get them from a cycle specific site. I bought a pair of in the channel Weathertech Vent Visors from Amazon, about 60 days later while doing in excess of a century in my truck one of them flew away and broke into a puzzle.

I contacted Amazon and they told me the "30 day return window" had expired and I needed to deal with the manufacture for warranty. This after I worked my way through the ranks up to a guy that actually spoke English well. I contacted Weathertech and they told me that Amazon is not an authorized dealer and I needed to work it out with them. I got back ahold of Amazon and they firmly held their ground as I promised and have kept that promise that not another red cent 'O mine would be funneled in their direction. I got back ahold of Weathertech and asked if I could just buy one of the front visors and finally met up with someone who remembered what customer service was and while they could not sell one they sold me a pair for half price. Three things I hate are Lima Beans, Warm Beer and Amazon! Really pisses me off when I buy something on Ebay and it comes from an Amazon distribution center.

How do they verify your mileage if you install them yourself? I'm leery of ANY MC tire claiming that much mileage. Please let us know how many miles you actually get.

EDIT:

Answered my own question. If you install them yourself you're SOL

https://www.avonmoto.com/warranty/mileage-warranty

Tires are covered for a maximum of 2 years from the date of purchase

What is Warranted

The Tires are only warranted against tread “wear out” if worn out prior to the indicated mileage:

• Avon Cobra – 15,000 miles / 24,000 kilometers
  • Storm 3D X-M – 15,000 miles / 24,000 kilometers
This Tread Wear Protection Policy is prorated (there is no free replacement) based on mileage received, and is separate from the Standard Coverage & Extra Coverage Warranties. No manufacturer or dealer can guarantee you a certain number of miles from a given tire. Riding habits, riding conditions, tire and vehicle maintenance all play a part in the tread life of a tire and all differ with each purchaser. The Tread Wear Warranty is available provided the eligibility above is met and:

1. You are the original purchaser
  2. Your Tires were registered at www.avonmoto.com/mileageregister within 10 days of original purchase
  3. Tires were installed by a retail motorcycle dealership
  4. Eligible Tire is returned to Avon Tyres North America for adjustment
  5. Within 10 days of your replacement purchase, you present the following:

Last edited by a moderator:
BigJohnsd - I tried a set of the Avon Storm 3 X-M awhile back. I didn't take mileage at install so have no clue how well they did. I was hoping they had the same wonderful turn in that older Storms had. They don't. They are on par with the PR3/4's though. Still, not the magic.

I think I'm going to try another set of Storms. I have PM to FredW too, as I recall he had a combo he likes. I'm currently running PR3 rear and BattleAx BT023 up front and that combo feels good.

I need to poop or get off the pot though - I have an Oregon run coming up soon and will need rubber before then.