ATGATT - New Device!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea, down here in the SE with 1000% humidity, I'm wondering how effective these things are. On long rides, I wear my LD tights and long sleeved shirt and do pretty well, but on the really hot/sticky days, it's still miserable, lol. ;)
The humidity here in the south is always high and I have worn this vest several times in humidity over 80% and it works fantastic.

SIGNIFICANTLY better than doing nothing.

Of course, everybody should realize these things work off evaporation and work phenomenally well in Phoenix with low humidity, great generally west, but I as you head back east and south....not as much.
And the reverse side of that coin is that in Phoenix (or Sacramento) where the heat is high and humidity is low, the benefit is significantly shorter than the four hours some have mentioned. I have two cooling vests and carry both (in Ziploc baggies) on the hot rides--they don't take up much space after all, but I've found it really helps for an hour, tops, on the worst days.

But, um, "New" device? Well, no.

Indeed, way better than nothing. When I lived in my apartment in Florida, if I was just going to ride and not going anywhere in particular, I'd stop by the pool on my way out. Douse myself under the shower you are supposed to use before getting in the pool, and then hop on the bike and go. Even in Florida humidity, at speed it's still evaporating and cooling you off. I also loved when you'd hit one of those three minute thunder storms. Enough to make your gear wet but not enough for the sweltering oppressive humidity that comes after a good 15 minute storm.