Avon Storm Ultra 2 - Initial Impressions

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TahoeBound

Reaction score
I've run all kinds of tires, the last few sets were my favorites - a couple sets of Diablo Stradas, and the latest & best was standard Avon Storms. Since Storms became my favorite, great stick & longevity (10K), I thought I'd go with Avon's latest & greatest ST - the Ultra 2's. I ride about 10K miles/year which mostly ends up being Interstate commuting but much prefer the back country. My criteria is a tire that gets 10K and still has excellent feel/grip in the twisties because that's where all the fun is. I have no concern about a tire that goes beyond 10K, after that point my focus is all on grip/feel.

I've got less than 50 miles on the new Ultras, so a long term eval, this is not, but two things were immediately clear:

* On the downside, this is a harder tire than either the Stradas or original Storms - I figured with 12% better mileage claims but better grip, that would even things out & make them at least equally soft. Not true IMO. BTW I run 36/38 front, 40/42 rear.

* On the positive side, neutral, if not light turn in.

Finally, I was a little surprised they were essentially the same cost as the original Storms at SW Moto. Figured the latest/greatest would be more expensive and in fact, better. Anyway, I'll scrub them in & report back on handling/stick in the twisties. So far I'm neutral on my choice & need more miles, but I hope I didn't make a mistake by not ordering original Storms. The original Storms wore extremely even and at the end of life, still handled very well. Most tires I've had in the past really fell off in handling the last 20% of mileage.

Hurry up and put some miles on those tires! I really like the original Storms, but who doesn't like better?

Good excuse to go riding anyway, people need a report!

Hurry up and put some miles on those tires! I really like the original Storms, but who doesn't like better?Good excuse to go riding anyway, people need a report!
+1 on that!!!...i've got about a month left on my original storms and would love to move to these if theres a reason to.

Look forward to hearing about this.

GreyGoose

Keep the updates coming. I love the old Storms and have a new Ultra waiting to go on. When I spoke with the Avon tech I did ask about traction and the response sounded good. I hope they stick at least as good as the old Storms. Time will tell.

Canadian FJR

250 more miles on the Ultras. Pretty much 1/2 freeway commute & 1/2 So. Cal. back-country including tight twisties (Palomar Mtn, South Grade & backside). More observations:

- These are very nice, predictable-handling sport-touring tires. Heritage is apparent. It is a very good tire IMO.

- Tract very well over the parallel, semi-parallel, freeway seams.

- Tract fine, no drama, over tar snakes in the twisties.

- Neutral steering, if not light (mentioned above).

- Feel "hard" (mentioned above) and really my only complaint.

As noted, I'm a big fan of Avons...starting from Azaro's, to the Storms & now Ultras. Side note: why do they still sell all three? Thought it was evolution? Weird. Suppose I should talk to an Avon rep.

The $335 question then, ~300 miles into ownership, I'd stay with the original Storms. Its a known commodity & the "hardness" on the Ultras bug me. If you're looking for extra mileage and the 12% factory claim is accurate, the Ultras may be YOUR tire. I've had many tires and the old Storms are still my favorite...plus I got 10K out of them. My tire goal is performance of Pilot Sports (had on my '04) with the mileage of the Avons. Not there yet, but the manufacturer's will get there.

Now that said, as summer comes & temps increase & perhaps the tires "soften," I'd change my mind. But for now, I think the Ultras are very good and the old Storms are excellent.

Remember YMMV. Check with your Avon rep to get the difference from their perspective.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just put a new set of the Ultra 2's on and have only put about 120 miles on them so far and nothing but straight roads and high speed sweepers. Initial impression is I love em. I replaced a set of Avon Storms and liked them so well I stuck with the Avons. The Ultra's feel great but I have to take into consideration the fact that they are only the second set of tires I've had on the bike. I had no complaints about the Storms as they wore down, I got a little over 8K on the rear and decided to replace both.

So time will tell and I will try to post my impressions and experiences from time to time.

Interesting comments regarding the "hardness" factor of the Storm Ultra.

I'll be doing a little experimenting with this new Avon tire.... I have a brand new Storm Ultra ready to mount up on the rear wheel, but will be putting an original Storm up front. We'll see how this combo performs...

Good thread have Avon Storms on my bike with ? miles put 1500 miles on them since buying the bike 9 months ago. The rear is starting to wear in the center so will be looking at replacing tires by mid summer. Keep the reports coming please. :unsure:

Got about 1800 on a set of Ultra 2's. All of it in the twisties, 600 or so in the rain. The ST2 reminds me much of the original storms, they stick very well in the dry and hold well in the rain too, surprisingly well.

Milage is not gonna be a factor for me, but if I can get 3K+ on Arkansas roads I will be quite happy.

The negative - the front tire developed that same ole tick that the old storm did. I'm gonna ride it out anyway, it still handles well right now so we will see.

I like this tire.

400 km of rain - no issues
Lots of slab - no significant flat spot in center
High speed sweepers - very steady
Agressive twisties - sticks very well
I can't wait to get the front one installed.

Canadian FJR

Thanks for the updates! Like the retard i am, I started a thread to find out about these as i checked here but didnt see this..my bad. Anyway they sound good so far but mileage is an issue for me...its money really...so i'll stay tuned for sure. Be glad to get these PR2's off...very truck like at 14K, but its 14K :blink: ! i miss the old storms, especially in corners and rain, both preferably ! Keep us posted and thank you for sharing !

Blessings,

Bobby

I've managed about 600 miles so far on the ultra 2's and I still like them. Rode in the twisties in the Texas hill country, dry pavement, some very good and smooth, other not very good and rough. Turn in is excellent, the tires respond to inputs without hesitation and once leaned over grip is very good. Even on some of the rougher pavement traction was very good, I only felt some slight slippage accelerating hard out of tight corners and I think that was more due to the poor quality and ripples in the pavement and maybe some of my lack of smoothness with the throttle. On high speed sweepers the traction was outstanding.

I do notice a very slight tendency for them to drift and not hold a straight line at speeds above 75 but even up to 100 it is barely noticeable. I was riding in winds about 15-20 mph which may have contributed to the condition.

They do feel a little harder than the storms I took off but it is not an issue to me, if they give me a little more mileage than the old ones (8000) then I suppose the "hardness" is worth it.

I'm nearing 1500 miles on them now. No change in my initial impressions noted above. They are an excellent handling tire, which seems a little contrary to a "hard" tire feel but I still feel it. I usually run 39/42 but have reduced that to 36/40 and that helped the hardness feel somewhat. I don't really want to go lower. I'll likely go for the old Storms or whatever's the tire-du-jour is in about a year. Make no mistake, these are excellent handling sport-tour tires.

I do love FJRs :D

I agree with you Tahoe, I'm liking the handling of these tires more and more. And the slight drifting I mentioned before was apparently due to tire pressure being too low. I've got them at 38/40 and have no problems. Very nice handling tires.

So, whats the word gents? How do these puppies last?

I've just ordered a front to replace my PR2's. Once she comes in I'll start my own thread as I generally do about 2k miles/ month

So, whats the word gents? How do these puppies last?
I've just ordered a front to replace my PR2's. Once she comes in I'll start my own thread as I generally do about 2k miles/ month
I've got over 5K on this set and they are wearing very well, very even - probably better than any tire I've had. Even though I commute too much, there is still mostly "round," no cupping or any funky wear. I expect to get over 10K. Negatively, I had a "tar snake" moment the other day & they felt slippery. Never had a cause for concern re: the snakes previously. There is also a strange front end feeling at < 15 mph, however, I've got 25K on the bike & I think I need new fork springs. I'm installing new ones this weekend so I'll know for sure.