Back from the IBA National Meet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKR CHK

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just got back from the Iron Butt National Meet Monday eve. I had a great time there and met many heavy hitters of the IBA and IBR community were there. The food as well as the seminars were great. Saw several FJR Forum members there including Iggy (congrats on the Spank winning), Warchild (he does a great job on the fashion runway :clapping: ), and LDRYDER who came with his wife and (forbid the thought they flew and I don't mean riding fast :rolleyes: ) as well as sighting several other members. It sounds lake a oxymoron but many who rode there never rode after they parked Thursday until Sunday, including me.

As for me I did bookend Iron butt rides to and from the IRA Meet. Getting there I rode from Portland. OR to Boise and then did a Bun Burner Gold 1500 mine in less than 24 hours to Tulsa, OK. I made the ride in 23 hours 41 minutes and rode 1542 miles to do it. I received the certification from Mike Kneebone at Fridays lunch. On the return trip I rode a saddle sore 2000 that is 2000 miles in 48 or less hours. I rode 2061 miles in 35 hours 28 minutes.

Matt (Iggy) was featured not once, but twice in the rally bloopers presented by tom Austin on Saturday night. Friday Dale (Warchild) talked about his BBG Hell Week on his Blackbird, that was a good talk.

All in all I had a great time and the people there were great, saw many great farkled bikes met many great people. I would like to suggest to any IBA members that have not attended a IBA Nation conference to do so and if you are not a IBA member get out a do a Saddle Sore 1000 to join the IBA.

Lori

BKR CHK

Last edited by a moderator:
Dah-yum! Sounds like an absolutely great time Lori! As if I wasn't already bummed about missing it.

Whelp, I won't be missing the event in 2010. That's for sure!

Congrats on the certs (both comin' and a goin'!)

Great to see you Lori....you're clearly getting the hang of this LD thing. ;)

The irony of parking a bike for three straight days during an IBA event didn't escape me.....although the 8,000 miles in the previous 7 days even made me want to get off that thing for a while. ;)

And, yes it was humbling and entertaining to be part of Tom Austin's Bloopers segment.....twice.

For those wondering: What I

....and what I actually shot video of. Lame Harry Carey impersonation notwithstanding....great fodder for Tom.
And the other was that I read while I was in the rally that I was denied 3,000 points for calling in before the scheduled time...and confused as to which day this could have happened I went to the trouble of pulling up my cell phone record in case of a scoring dispute and snapping a digital picture.....in case I needed to dispute it.

Turns out it was me after all...confusing time zones and not being able to count to 2...so fair game.

The irony of parking a bike for three straight days during an IBA event didn't escape me.....although the 8,000 miles in the previous 7 days even made me want to get off that thing for a while. ;)

And, yes it was humbling and entertaining to be part of Tom Austin's Bloopers segment.....twice.

Ha...ha....

You shouldhave gone to the bean structure during the last IBR, and you then you wouldn't have made that mistake. Hard thing to miss. But not easy to take a polaroid of that thing that also required your image in it when the flash just bounces off that mirror and you get a polaroid of a big flash. I think I took like 12 polaroids of that thing. Did get the points.

Oh, and your Harey Carey impersonation needs some serious work.

Turns out it was me after all...confusing time zones and not being able to count to 2...so fair game.
It's good to know its not just us rookies making mistakes.

I had an excellent time at the meet. Great seminars and great folks. I think I learned as much by hanging out and talking to the big dogs as I did in the seminars. What an opportunity to learn from the masters. Swapping strategies with Jim Owen, asking Jeff Earls that key question you've always wanted to, finding out why Dale couldn't keep his left eye open. All good stuff!

Derek

Matt,

Again, I need to congratulate you on your Spank win :clapping: .

And Yes, we can not blame you entirely for filming the incorrect venue for the bonus Tom started it with blaming Georg Z. for a poor bonus description just what is bloubbeess I know the spelling is incorrect, but that doesn't matter no one else knew what it meant as for the the Harry Carry impersonation that is another story.

As for the phone call I still get confused when dealing with different time zones and am not under rally conditions of lack of sleep and pressures.

And yes the LD bug has bitten HARD expect to see me in some rallies next year and go easy on this virgin.

I hope you do the 09 IBR as well as you did this Spank rally.

Lori

BKR CHK

Darn! You were so close ...just mere feet ... to the Cloud Gate (aka "The Bean") sculpture anyway!

But one can look back at such a gaff in humor when he can sit back and say that he TOOK FIRST PLACE ANYWAY!! :clapping:

What an opportunity to learn from the masters. Swapping strategies with Jim Owen, asking Jeff Earls that key question you've always wanted to, finding out why Dale couldn't keep his left eye open. All good stuff!
Yeah, that was some funny shit.... now. Wasn't too humorous at the time, though..... <_<

:lol:

Great to see you there again, Lori, and I was happy to sign as your Starting Witness for your SS2000 ride home. B)

The IBA National Meet has changed a fair bit since the very first one on Denver back in 2005. This event is quite polished and extremely professional in every way. The professionalism, technical knowledge and obvious hard work displayed at each of the seminar presenters was just stunning. I mean, these guys even dressed up for their presentation.... many wore slacks and a business shirt! :eek:

Fortunately, one rider did not forget his roots, did not forget who he was, or try to present himself in any other way then he normally does. :D Yep, you can just guess who wore gym shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes during his presentation...... :lol:

Hey Lori,

We crossed paths a couple of times going across Wyoming. You were hauling butt by us both times...so fast, in fact, that I bet you didn't even see us. Oh yea, I guess the fact that we were wearing a huge freeking U-haul costume, would account for why you didn't wave as you rode by. Tobie stuck his arm out the window and waved, but I imagine you just thought some crazies were trying to flag you down.

Great to see you there & sorry we didn't get to chat more. Will look forward to Boise, tho, hope to see you there.

See ya down the road,

Lisa

Hey Lori,
We crossed paths a couple of times going across Wyoming. You were hauling butt by us both times...so fast, in fact, that I bet you didn't even see us. Oh yea, I guess the fact that we were wearing a huge freeking U-haul costume, would account for why you didn't wave as you rode by. Tobie stuck his arm out the window and waved, but I imagine you just thought some crazies were trying to flag you down.

Great to see you there & sorry we didn't get to chat more. Will look forward to Boise, tho, hope to see you there.

See ya down the road,

Lisa
Hi Lisa and Tobie,

Why were you in disguise? something happen to one of your bikes? Sorry I did not notice you, but did see many U-hauls. I saw you two were both busy and it was great meeting people that you only know their names, besides you two are close and I could see you anytime. I know I was haulin butt it was night and in western Wyoming I heard a comment about me from one of the truckers he said "there was some crazy biker going 80 - 85 and better watch for "gators"" we spoke for a while he sounded surprised when I told him I started in Tulsa, OK that morning, not only was I watching for gators I was also keeping my eyes open for forest rats did not see any on both ways.

Yes I will be in Boise, are you going to the chili-burger run? Did I already say that I had a great time. I shared my room with Shella Winnie and will share a room with Ardys K. in Boise, both did a 100k year.

Lori

BKR CHK

The IBA National Meet has changed a fair bit since the very first one on Denver back in 2005.

Uhhh. Wasn't the 2005 meet in Omaha?

:dntknw:

1346853847036000308S500x500Q85.jpg

Hey Lori,
Oh yea, I guess the fact that we were wearing a huge freeking U-haul costume, would account for why you didn't wave as you rode by. T

Lisa
Hi Lisa and Tobie,

Why were you in disguise? something happen to one of your bikes?

Lori

BKR CHK
Yea, we stopped so I could plug the hole where the rain was running down my neck and when we went to set out on the road again, Tobie's ignition wouldn't work. He fiddled about for about an hour or so, but no luck. We called U-haul, but the first lady we talked to wouldn't open up till Monday 8:00 am...dang, I did NOT want to hang out in Goodland, KS wasting a day, so I called the second number in the book for U-haul. This time I got the owner & asked if someone could PLEASE help us get a truck on a Sunday morning. He had his folks (same lady we talked to first) get us set up with a truck and we were back on the road within 2 hours, but this time in a big orange pumpkin. Well, we dropped his bike at Desert Valley Powersports on our way by on Monday, so we'll see what the have to say about the problem. Oh well, it's the first time in 135k miles it's stopped our forward progress on the road.

Great weekend, great friends, great fun. Well worth the price of admission.

See ya in a few weeks.

L

I'm beginning to understand now why/how Bkr Chk maintained a +75 mph average in a freakin' rain storm that had me freaked out... :rolleyes:

Congrats and best wishes! :yahoo:

I'm beginning to understand now why/how Bkr Chk maintained a +75 mph average in a freakin' rain storm that had me freaked out... :rolleyes: Congrats and best wishes! :yahoo:
Don,

Sorry, but I can't join your Candy Butt group, it would cost me way too much and I need to use my money for gas.

Lori

BKR CHK

PS: no rocks. in the road this time

I couldnt get away from work. My father in law and a friend of mine made it. Saw Don (my friend) in one of the pics posted on the net. i wont miss next year. Glad everyone had a great time.

Fortunately, one rider did not forget his roots, did not forget who he was, or try to present himself in any other way then he normally does. :D Yep, you can just guess who wore gym shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes during his presentation...... :lol:

Well....at least you wore something. Let's just hope it wasn't gym shorts from the 80s or god forbid earlier.... :bad: