Basic tool info needed

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrebandit

Reaction score
I will be flying out to pick up my FJR (Gen II) next week and then riding it back home (about 1100 miles). Its a pre-owned bike with 2,600 miles on her. I'm not sure what the previous maintenance history has been so I thought I'd pack a small tool kit that will help me do some basic things before I jump on it for the long journey home. Here are my questions...

I plan to drain and refill with new gear oil:

What size sockets will I need for the gear oil filler and drain bolts?

I plan to drain the engine oil and refill

What size socket do I use for the oil drain bolt?

Might need to recharge the battery since its been sitting for a couple months

Will I need an allen wrench to get the rt panel off? What size(s)?

If the stock tool kit is still on-board the bike, will it have everything I need for doing these things and tightening most fastners?

I will to do a complete pre-ride check before I ride it back home.

Thanks for the help.

17mm for the ALL the oil drains and filler.

4mm allen for the bodywork/dash panels.

I'd take a medium stubby Phillips (in case, for dash panel fasteners) and a large Phillips (for the battery post screws).

I bought new Kobalt ratchet socket sets just for my FJR. I like the thru-ratchet Sets- also bought the 3/8 metric hex/torx sets that will have more then you need for fasteners. A torque wrench(ratchet) is needed since Service Manual give torque values to most nuts bolts. Later I bought extra extentions, universals as needed. If specific wrench, socket sizes is what you need, get a service manual first.

I bought new Kobalt ratchet socket sets just for my FJR. I like the thru-ratchet Sets- also bought the 3/8 metric hex/torx sets that will have more then you need for fasteners. A torque wrench(ratchet) is needed since Service Manual give torque values to most nuts bolts. Later I bought extra extentions, universals as needed. If specific wrench, socket sizes is what you need, get a service manual first.
Yes. I already have a service manual for the FJR and butt loads of tools at home for wrenching, accumulated over the past 30 years (have 3 bikes currently). I just wanted to take a few essential things along with me that wouldn't set off the metal detectors at the airport! :D

Your post reminded me of a torx bit for those darn fasteners in the saddles! What size do I need for that? Probably need to throw in some loctite too, I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:
DAVE!!!! Is that you???? Welcome to the FJR world! Your friend from the Max-S forum, pdxbandit!

Last edited by a moderator:
DAVE!!!! Is that you???? Welcome to the FJR world! Your friend from the Max-S forum, pdxbandit!
Hey Scott!

Hope you are well! Thought I'd give the FJR world a try for a while. :) Looks like this place has a ton of info. I may have to pick your brain some about these bikes.

Still got my Bandit! I crashed the red one but have a 1G now. Got an SV too. Anyway, still hanging out at max-zuke some. Some of the old characters are still there.

Dave

Dang! And some of them are here! txmedic from Max-Zuk. I haven't stopped by in years, but its good to find some of my old Bandit buds elsewhere.

Dang! And some of them are here! txmedic from Max-Zuk. I haven't stopped by in years, but its good to find some of my old Bandit buds elsewhere.
Dude!!! I had no idea. I suppose the changing of our names made it difficult to identify each other!

17mm for the ALL the oil drains and filler.
4mm allen for the bodywork/dash panels.

I'd take a medium stubby Phillips (in case, for dash panel fasteners) and a large Phillips (for the battery post screws).
Might bring a 10mm socket and 3 or 6 inch extension for the battery post screws that are sometimes real stubborn

Best of luck and enjoy,

Mike in Nawlins'