BC Ride plus S. Alta, Montana, Idaho & Wash

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikerskier

Reaction score
Posting this report has been a challenge for me. I wish I were a more committed photographer, (and a more skilled computer user), since I had many spectacular scenic moments but was not motivated to stop, turn around, etc, to get a shot.

Left home in Tigard, Sat. 7 AM on the 22nd. Returned on 9/30. Total trip was just under 2800 miles, averaged 41 mpg. Replaced a very rapidly balding rear Storm with a Pilot Road in Lewiston. I loved this trip but would leave a week or two earlier next time. Mounted a Garmin C330 and and it turned it on about half the time, then it started to have power interruptions about halfway thru the trip so I unplugged it. Ok some pics...

Route map

BCRide07.jpg

Had my coffee, ready to go!

Start.jpg

I think this bridge is 4 miles long at Astoria

Astoria1.jpg

About 20 miles of practically deserted beachs on Wash west coast

Kalaloch1.jpg

Lined up for ferry to Victoria

PtAngeles3.jpg

I have been on this ferry MV Coho, many times and love the 1 1/2 hour ride.

MVCoho.jpg

From Departure Bay, Nanaimo to Horshoe Bay, N of Vancouver. My goal here was to totally avoid all I-5 , Seattle and Vancouver traffic as well as the very busy border crossing north of Seattle.

BCFerry1.jpg

Great ride up thru Whistler over to Lillooet
NofWhistler.jpg

One scary washout above the Fraser River about a mile from here.

FraserRiver1.jpg

Cold morning out of Merritt, high 30's for about 1 1/2 hours and then all the way up to 42 until I dropped into the Kelowna area.

BCHwy97.jpg

Beautiful ride from Vernon to Needles and alon Upper Arrow Lake to Nakusp.

Needlesferry2.jpg

Leland Hotel deck on Upper Arrow Lake before heading down the north end of Slocan Lake to New Denver.

Nakusp2.jpg

Best 32 miles anywhere of newly paved twisty road from New Denver to Kaslo.

Kaslo2.jpg

A very pretty ride across Kootenay Lake from just east of Nelson to Galena Bay and then down to Creston, Cranbrook, etc.

BalfourFerry1.jpg

This is the world's largest truck, so big that they quit using it and added it to their mining museum display.

BigTruck2.jpg

Fabulous skiing here in Fernie, I miss it.

Fernie.jpg

This Crowsnest Pass area is very beautiful.

Crowsnest4.jpg

Crowsnest1.jpg

A very large part of Turtle Mt slid down and buried the town of Frank about 80 years.

FrankMt2.jpg

Nice ride west of Missoula into Idaho.

Lolopass.jpg

This section of road drops about 4500' into the canyon and then climbs out again over this stretch of twisty hairpins and switchbacks. Nice to see guard rails this trip. None last time.

13mileswindyroad.jpg

Hard to get a good pics of this fun road.

Windyroad2.jpg

Met Marianne in Walla Walla, so we could have a birthday dinner with ourt son who graduated from Whitman last spring and is working here in tasting room saving for grad school. She brought the trailer since the weather report was forecasting heavy wind and rain in the gorge for Sunday. They were right and I was glad for the warm, dry drive home.

Last edited by a moderator:
Biker, you did a fine job with the photos. They're great. The Crow's Nest Pass shots are beautiful. I gotta get there. Thanks.

I've always wondered about the ferry rides, and this might be a dumbass question, but do you have to worry about your bike being tipped?

Very nice report there Jim, Frank, Bob, BikerSkier! :rolleyes: (yes, I do remember your actual name, not sure if you want it posted)..

In 74 I rode with my Uncle and his bud to Victoria. The ferry was rockin' that day - I was nervous, and stayed with the bike almost the entire trip; my Uncle and friend just laughed at the kid.

It sure looks like you had a great ride, I'm very happy for you... especially since the lower back flared just before the ride IIRC.

I know that you northern riders get shut down for winter, but what spectacular scenery you have when it's nice.

This is my favorite..

Crowsnest1.jpg

..we just don't see that 'look' in my parts..

Old Michael

If the water is smooth, on the small inland ferries, I just leave it in gear on the side stand. On the MV Coho, they have ropes set up on one side that are attached to boat about shoulder high on the left side and you park close to that side next to a rope. I put it in gear, on the side stand, and then tie the handlebars up to the rope so they can't pivot or tip to the right. Works great.

On the large BC Ferries, you park on the outside of the boat, (see pic) at a 45 angle to the boat. With the bike in gear and on the side stand, they supply a wooden block with stepped sides like a wedge and you kick it under the center of the right side, so it snugs in and won't allow the bike to tip. Also works well and makes me wish I taken pics of the set ups.

As a recently transplanted BC-er I spend a great deal of the summer romping over my favorite pavement - the same roads you took on your holiday.

Thanks for the great pics! and for the huge grin at viewing them.

Kasey

Awesome photos, Ralph. I can't believe it's so close and I have never been up there!

This is the world's largest truck, so big that they quit using it and added it to their mining museum display.
Do you think those tires get chicken strips? :lol:

Thanks for the pictures. I lived in Spokane, WA for a number of years and never got tired of riding up there. But, I never got pictures like those. They were great. Can you color the FJR (in the pictures) to look like a 07? Then I could simply just "steal" your pictures.

We thank you for the effort of puttimg them on the site. Hope to see more of your travels.

Excellent pics & report, Biker B) Those majestic landscapes in the Nort-West leave me speechless. :blink:

You rarely get that "big sky" feeling here in crowded Europe...

Stef

Last edited by a moderator: