Bear Attack in GA

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ricks.06

Reaction score
I just got back from a 3k trip from Atlanta, Boston, Buffalo and back. All back roads! It was an awesome, seamless trip...until the last day.

I do some business consulting and had a consulting call scheduled for the last day of my trip. I was in the N GA mountains just north of Suches (TWO) on 60 and knew that I wouldn't get cell phone service unless I got over the mountain. I hauled ass for the last 15-20 minutes and reached a turnout about 32 minutes after my scheduled call time. I whipped the bike into the shade near the woods, jumped off the bike, took off all of my gear and then placed the call. About a minute into the call I was very distracted by the freakin squirrels behind me making all of that noise in the brush. I turned to see if they were mating or what only to see a big ass black bear rooting around in the tall grass about 20 ft away!. I had been standing there for several minutes after pulling up without looking towards the woods. The bear seemed uninterested, but needless to say I had to expalin to my client that I would need to call her back because I was at risk of bear attack. I slowly put most of my riding gear on while standing with the bike between me and the bear. It finally acknowledged me (not good) and walked towards the bike. By this point I had most of my leather gear on so I figured this was the best attire for a bear attack. Cow hide and full face helmet vs bear claws..not so much. The bear walked around the front of the bike and I walked around the back. Sorta like a kid chasing someone around the dinner table. The bear paused, looked at me and moved on across the road. I got on the bike, road down the mountain, wiped my ass and then called my client back.

3K of hauling ass on backroads and then alomost mauled by a bear an hour from my house. WTF?!?

It did make a good story for my client. "can I call you back? I'm being mauled by a bear." We inked a big deal today so all is well that ends well.

:pooh:

This post is useless without pictures. :)
He can take a picture of his soiled underwear for you, I'm sure!

Two close encounters for me, but not that close! After the second one in the Rogue River wilderness area on my KLR last year, I decided I had enough soiled underwear. I now go into the woods with a .357 magnum with 200 grain hard cast bullets. I keep it on the hip in a leather holster. Should take care of a black bear. If not, well the last bullet is for me I guess.

Last edited by a moderator: